Jan Djärv | 1 Jan 11:36 2012
Picon

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

Hello.

1 jan 2012 kl. 07:26 skrev Leo <sdl.web <at> gmail.com>:

> On 2011-12-31 21:22 +0800, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> I agree with your statement, but we're not "pushing" the NS port only
>> because it's for GNUstep.  It's quite usable on Mac OS X.
>
> I wonder how you reach that conclusion. If you don't use Emacs heavily
> on a Mac, then you don't know if it is quite usable. My experience is
> that it is not.

YMMV. I use Emacs every day on OSX and it is no different from using Emacs on X in my experience. But I don't use
Gnus or other packages that people seems to have problems with.

      Jan D.

Carsten Mattner | 1 Jan 11:48 2012

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Jan Djärv <jan.h.d <at> swipnet.se> wrote:
> Hello.
>

> 1 jan 2012 kl. 07:26 skrev Leo <sdl.web <at> gmail.com>:
>
>> On 2011-12-31 21:22 +0800, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>>> I agree with your statement, but we're not "pushing" the NS port only
>>> because it's for GNUstep.  It's quite usable on Mac OS X.
>>
>> I wonder how you reach that conclusion. If you don't use Emacs heavily
>> on a Mac, then you don't know if it is quite usable. My experience is
>> that it is not.
>
> YMMV. I use Emacs every day on OSX and it is no different from
> using Emacs on X in my experience. But I don't use Gnus or other
> packages that people seems to have problems with.

Same here, except I may not miss the intl font support the Mac port
is supposed to have as an advantage.

I do need features from bzr trunk, so there's no option for me to
try the Mac port.

There may be memory leaks, but there are enough potential leaks
common to emacs regardless of ports (also seen with X on Linux).
Emacs on Linux configured as
/configure --without-selinux --without-tiff \
    --without-sound --without-dbus --without-gconf \
    --without-gsettings --without-xft --without-gsettings \
(Continue reading)

Christian Lynbech | 2 Jan 11:08 2012
Picon

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

Jan> YMMV. I use Emacs every day on OSX and it is no different from using
Jan> Emacs on X in my experience. But I don't use Gnus or other packages
Jan> that people seems to have problems with.

I use Emacs on OSX everyday too, and I use gnus as my one and only way
to read mail, and it works quite well for me (except I am experiencing
some issues with w3m after upgrading my laptop to Lion). This is emacs24
using the trunk version and upstream gnus.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\ <at>  defun #\. dk
                                        - petonic <at> hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

Dimitri Fontaine | 7 Jan 14:09 2012

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

Christian Lynbech <christian <at> defun.dk> writes:
> I use Emacs on OSX everyday too, and I use gnus as my one and only way
> to read mail, and it works quite well for me (except I am experiencing
> some issues with w3m after upgrading my laptop to Lion). This is emacs24
> using the trunk version and upstream gnus.

With Emacs24 and gnus and flyspell, on macosx, Emacs gets slower and
slower to the point that if I want to edit medium to large size C files
(more than 6k lines, say) I need to restart Emacs.

I've been told flyspell usage is what makes emacs slower and slower on
this system but didn't have anytime to spend on that yet.  It would be
awesome to see the problem fixed though :)

That's the only problem I have here and basically “I live in Emacs”.

dim

Dave Abrahams | 8 Jan 02:07 2012

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

on Sat Jan 07 2012, Dimitri Fontaine <dim-AT-tapoueh.org> wrote:

> Christian Lynbech <christian <at> defun.dk> writes:
>> I use Emacs on OSX everyday too, and I use gnus as my one and only way
>> to read mail, and it works quite well for me (except I am experiencing
>> some issues with w3m after upgrading my laptop to Lion). This is emacs24
>> using the trunk version and upstream gnus.
>
> With Emacs24 and gnus and flyspell, on macosx, Emacs gets slower and
> slower to the point that if I want to edit medium to large size C files
> (more than 6k lines, say) I need to restart Emacs.

Yeah, that's one reason John Wiegley has been using Mitsuharu's Emacs23
port.  Subprocess handling seems to actually work there.

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

Dave Abrahams | 8 Jan 02:10 2012

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

on Sat Jan 07 2012, Dimitri Fontaine <dim-AT-tapoueh.org> wrote:

> Christian Lynbech <christian <at> defun.dk> writes:
>> I use Emacs on OSX everyday too, and I use gnus as my one and only way
>> to read mail, and it works quite well for me (except I am experiencing
>> some issues with w3m after upgrading my laptop to Lion). This is emacs24
>> using the trunk version and upstream gnus.
>
> With Emacs24 and gnus and flyspell, on macosx, Emacs gets slower and
> slower to the point that if I want to edit medium to large size C files
> (more than 6k lines, say) I need to restart Emacs.
>
> I've been told flyspell usage is what makes emacs slower and slower on
> this system but didn't have anytime to spend on that yet.  It would be
> awesome to see the problem fixed though :)
>
> That's the only problem I have here and basically “I live in Emacs”.

Oh, I should also point out that this problem affects the usability of
GDB in Emacs 24.  It is most likely a general problem with process
handling.

Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com

chad | 8 Jan 02:28 2012
Picon

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

On Jan 7, 2012, at 5:09 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> With Emacs24 and gnus and flyspell, on macosx, Emacs gets slower and
> slower to the point that if I want to edit medium to large size C files
> (more than 6k lines, say) I need to restart Emacs.
>
> I've been told flyspell usage is what makes emacs slower and slower on
> this system but didn't have anytime to spend on that yet.  It would be
> awesome to see the problem fixed though :)
>
> That's the only problem I have here and basically “I live in Emacs”.

I don't see this problem with flyspell (which I use constantly), but I don't use gnus, and I rarely edit C code
anymore.  Would you be willing to test without one of those three (flyspell, gnus, CC-mode) for a short bit?

There are some known issues that make subprocesses slow (usually hits flyspell, although it's still
usually fast enough in my experience), and there have been several discussions about slowness in CC-mode
due to unusual cases lately.

Thanks,
*Chad

Dimitri Fontaine | 8 Jan 09:37 2012

Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

chad <yandros <at> gmail.com> writes:
> There are some known issues that make subprocesses slow (usually hits

Oh, I'm using subprocesses a lot. That's a list-processes edited paste
from my current Emacs session (still fast enough, emacs-uptime is just
about less than 24h).

  *nnimap*	open	--	     (network connection to
  *nnimap*≤1>	open	--	     (network connection to
  *nnimap*≤2>	open	--	     (network connection to
  bitlbee	run	/dev/ttys001 /bin/bash -c /sw/sbin/bitlbee ...
  ispell	run	--	     ispell -a -m -d english -B
  localhost	open	--	     (network connection to
  nntpd		open	--	     (network connection to
  offlineimap	run	/dev/ttys000 /bin/bash -c offlineimap -u Machine.MachineUI
  pgsql..	open	--	     (network connection to
  shell		run	/dev/ttys002 /bin/bash --noediting -i
  tapoueh.org	open	--	     (network connection to
  terminal	run	/dev/ttys003 /bin/sh -c stty -nl ... /bin/bash

Note that I often run commands that launch a transient subprocess (M-x
compile, M-x grep, M-x ack, M-x el-get-self-update, etc), and that I
have some local facilities using shell-command-to-string or the like
too.

Here's also the last line of M-x ibuffer:

      525 buffers         15732610                  480 files, 10 processes

I'm using desktop-save-mode so that I don't have to reopen every single