Dan Davison | 1 Jul 17:01 2010

Re: How modify numbers in a region by a multiplier?

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 15:55, Seweryn Kokot <sewkokot <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Imagine that I have some numbers
>>
>> 33.444 3333 4433.4443 3344 .34234
>>
>> and I want them multiplied for example by 0.1
>>
>> to receive
>>
>> 3.3444 333.3 443.34443 334.4 .034234

Here are three solutions using Org-mode.

* Using the Org spreadsheet
http://orgmode.org/org.html#The-spreadsheet
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.php

Leave second column blank; issue C-u C-c C-c with point in the table

|    33.444 |    3.3444 |
|      3333 |     333.3 |
| 4433.4443 | 443.34443 |
|      3344 |     334.4 |
|   0.34234 |  0.034234 |
#+tblfm: $2=$1*0.1

* Using Org-babel
(Continue reading)

Seweryn Kokot | 1 Jul 22:16 2010
Picon

Dan Davison <davison <at> stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Here are three solutions using Org-mode.
>
> * Using the Org spreadsheet
> http://orgmode.org/org.html#The-spreadsheet
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-spreadsheet-intro.php
>
> Leave second column blank; issue C-u C-c C-c with point in the table
>
> |    33.444 |    3.3444 |
> |      3333 |     333.3 |
> | 4433.4443 | 443.34443 |
> |      3344 |     334.4 |
> |   0.34234 |  0.034234 |
> #+tblfm: $2=$1*0.1
>
> * Using Org-babel...
> ** Using emacs lisp...
> ** Using R...

Thank you for help, however my purpose writing this function was to make it more
easy to type many tedious floating point numbers. So I thought it would be
better to write integers and then multiply them by 0.001 or whatever. In this
way I could never type "." in numbers and after the work done just use this
function to do it for me.

Gmane