Thorsten Jolitz | 1 Sep 01:16 2012

How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server

Hi List,

a very general question, with the hope to get some general advice what
route to take:

Suppose you are registered on a foreign server with the right to add and
edit files, and there is no Emacs running on that server. There exists
an Emacs mode for the type of files on the server, and you want to
access the server, list all files, select a file for editing, save
edits, or even add a new file - all from within Emacs, without ever
touching the webinterface.

How would you do that?
Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
server?

I would need some hints where to start my own investigations.
TIA

cheers,
Thorsten

Oleksandr Gavenko | 1 Sep 09:25 2012
Picon

Re: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server

On 2012-09-01, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

> How would you do that?
> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
> server?

Tramp.

To login to server from Emacs:

  /ssh:user <at> host:/etc/  TAB  <-- completion work here, but you prompted for
                                 password if don't setup RSA/DSA keys.

To list file on server:

  /ssh:user <at> host:/etc/ RET

To open file from server:

  /ssh:user <at> host:/home/user/.bashrc RET

Also M-x find-dired, rgrep, lgrep, compile - properly work with TRAMP (run
on remote server and show result in your Emacs).

Read manual: C-h i S tramp RET RET

Best regards!

(Continue reading)

Thorsten Jolitz | 1 Sep 14:18 2012

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 2012-09-01, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>
>> How would you do that?
>> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
>> server?
>
> Tramp.
>
> To login to server from Emacs:
>
>   /ssh:user <at> host:/etc/  TAB  <-- completion work here, but you prompted for
>                                  password if don't setup RSA/DSA keys.
>
> To list file on server:
>
>   /ssh:user <at> host:/etc/ RET
>
> To open file from server:
>
>   /ssh:user <at> host:/home/user/.bashrc RET
>
> Also M-x find-dired, rgrep, lgrep, compile - properly work with TRAMP (run
> on remote server and show result in your Emacs).
>
> Read manual: C-h i S tramp RET RET

That looks easy enough, thanks.
And it would mean that there is no need for extra commands in my Emacs
(Continue reading)

Jeffery Rancier | 4 Sep 21:37 2012

RE: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server

What's the foreign server's OS?