Jonathan BISSON | 18 Nov 18:16 2010
Picon

Automatic screenshot insertion

Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot
easily. Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed
(adapt "import" to your screenshot program if needed).

(defun my-screenshot ()
"Take a screenshot into a unique-named file in the current buffer file
directory and insert a link to this file."

  (interactive)
  (setq filename
   (concat
    (make-temp-name
     (file-name-directory (buffer-file-name))
    )
    ".jpg"
   )
  )

  (call-process "import" nil nil nil filename)
  (insert (concat "[[" filename "]]"))
  (org-display-inline-images)
)

Sébastien Vauban | 18 Nov 18:50 2010

Re: Automatic screenshot insertion

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan BISSON wrote:
> Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot easily.
> Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed (adapt "import"
> to your screenshot program if needed).
>
> (defun my-screenshot ()
> "Take a screenshot into a unique-named file in the current buffer file
> directory and insert a link to this file."
>
>  (interactive)
>  (setq filename
>   (concat
>    (make-temp-name
>     (file-name-directory (buffer-file-name))
>    )
>    ".jpg"
>   )
>  )
>
>  (call-process "import" nil nil nil filename)
>  (insert (concat "[[" filename "]]"))
>  (org-display-inline-images)
> )

I find this to be a very smart idea. Maybe I'll never need it, but well
thought!

BTW, ImageMagick exists for Windows as well, so it just needs =import= to be
(Continue reading)

David Maus | 28 Nov 20:35 2010
Picon

Re: Automatic screenshot insertion

At Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:16:22 +0100,
Jonathan BISSON wrote:

> Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot
> easily. Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed
> (adapt "import" to your screenshot program if needed).

Nice.  Do you mind of I put the function on Org mode'S wiki (Worg) in
the "Org hacks" page?[1]

Best,
  -- David

[1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena <at> jabber.org

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 08:35:23PM +0100, David Maus wrote:
> At Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:16:22 +0100,
> Jonathan BISSON wrote:
> >
> > Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot
> > easily. Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed
> > (adapt "import" to your screenshot program if needed).
> >

> Nice.  Do you mind of I put the function on Org mode'S wiki (Worg) in
> the "Org hacks" page?[1]
>
> Best,
>   -- David
>
> [1] http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php
> --
> OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
> Jabber.... dmjena <at> jabber.org
> Email..... dmaus <at> ictsoc.de

I made a minor change. File names are now generated by using the
current org buffer filename, plus the date and time, and a unique
number. This allows me to sort out the images better.

                          (defun org-screenshot ()
                            "Take a screenshot into a time stamped unique-named file in the same directory as the org-buffer and insert
a link to this file."
                            (interactive)
                            (setq filename
(Continue reading)

David Maus | 6 Jun 20:59 2011
Picon

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

At Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:43:27 -0500,
Russell Adams wrote:
> I made a minor change. File names are now generated by using the
> current org buffer filename, plus the date and time, and a unique
> number. This allows me to sort out the images better.
>
>                           (defun org-screenshot ()
>                             "Take a screenshot into a time stamped unique-named file in the same directory as the org-buffer and
insert a link to this file."
>                             (interactive)
>                             (setq filename
>                                   (concat
>                                    (make-temp-name
>                                     (concat (buffer-file-name)
>                                             "_"
>                                             (format-time-string "%Y%m%d_%H%M%S_")) ) ".png"))
>                             (call-process "import" nil nil nil filename)
>                             (insert (concat "[[" filename "]]"))
>                             (org-display-inline-images))

Thanks, I update the function on Worg.

Best,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena <at> jabber.org
Email..... dmaus <at> ictsoc.de
(Continue reading)

François Pinard | 5 Jan 05:54 2012
Picon

Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 08:35:23PM +0100, David Maus wrote:
>> At Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:16:22 +0100, Jonathan BISSON wrote:

>> > Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot
>> > easily. Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed
>> > (adapt "import" to your screenshot program if needed).

>> Nice.  Do you mind of I put the function on Org mode'S wiki (Worg) in
>> the "Org hacks" page?[1]

> I made a minor change. File names are now generated by using the
> current org buffer filename, plus the date and time, and a unique
> number. This allows me to sort out the images better.

For my own usage, I modified it further, like below:

(defun fp-org-image (name)
  "Insert a link to an already existing image, or else to a screenshot.
The screenshot is either taken to the given non-existing file name,
or added into the given directory, defaulting to the current one."
  ;; FIXME: Should limit to '("pdf" "jpeg" "jpg" "png" "ps" "eps")
  ;; which is org-export-latex-inline-image-extensions.
  (interactive "GImage name? ")
  (when (file-directory-p name)
    (setq name (concat
                (make-temp-name
                 (concat (file-name-as-directory name)
                         (subst-char-in-string
                          "." "-"
(Continue reading)

Eric S Fraga | 9 Jan 19:27 2012
X-Face

pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

>>> Nice.  Do you mind of I put the function on Org mode'S wiki (Worg) in
>>> the "Org hacks" page?[1]
>
>> I made a minor change. File names are now generated by using the
>> current org buffer filename, plus the date and time, and a unique
>> number. This allows me to sort out the images better.
>
> For my own usage, I modified it further, like below:
>

> (defun fp-org-image (name)

[...]

Thanks!  Very nice update.  I'd been using the original code for a while
but prompting for the file name is quite helpful.  However, if I give it
a directory name, the function fails with "Cannot create image file" in
the mini-buffer.  With debug (note: only function name is different):

,----
(Continue reading)

François Pinard | 9 Jan 21:22 2012
Picon

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> Thanks!  However, if I give it a directory name, the function fails
> with "Cannot create image file" in the mini-buffer.  [...]  In
> summary, if I give it an existing file name, that works; if I give it
> a non-existing file name, that also works.  It only fails if I give it
> a directory.

Hi, Eric.  Sorry.  Here is a quick correction for that problem.  This is
only this week that I plan to use that function for actual work; last
week was rather an exploration of the capability of various tools.  Of
course, do not hesitate if you see that I goofed elsewhere! :-).

Thanks, François

(defun fp-org-image (name)
  "Insert a link to an already existing image, or else to a screenshot.
The screenshot is either taken to the given non-existing file name,
or added into the given directory, defaulting to the current one."
  ;; FIXME: Should limit to '("pdf" "jpeg" "jpg" "png" "ps" "eps")
  ;; which is org-export-latex-inline-image-extensions.
  (interactive "GImage name? ")
  (when (file-directory-p name)
    (setq name (concat
                (make-temp-name
                 (concat (file-name-as-directory name)
                         (subst-char-in-string
                          "." "-"
(Continue reading)

Eric S Fraga | 10 Jan 09:57 2012
X-Face

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

[...]

> Hi, Eric.  Sorry.  Here is a quick correction for that problem.  This is
> only this week that I plan to use that function for actual work; last
> week was rather an exploration of the capability of various tools.  Of
> course, do not hesitate if you see that I goofed elsewhere! :-).

Thanks.  This correction did not work for me out of the box.  I had to
add a call to expand-file-name for getting a file name which worked on
my system for some reason.  I also re-arranged your second (unless ...)
to an (if ...):

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun fp-org-image (name)
  "Insert a link to an already existing image, or else to a screenshot.
The screenshot is either taken to the given non-existing file name,
or added into the given directory, defaulting to the current one."
  ;; FIXME: Should limit to '("pdf" "jpeg" "jpg" "png" "ps" "eps")
  ;; which is org-export-latex-inline-image-extensions.
  (interactive "GImage name? ")
  (when (file-directory-p name)
    (setq name (concat
                (make-temp-name
                 (expand-file-name
                  (concat (file-name-as-directory name)
                          (subst-char-in-string
                           "." "-"
                           (file-name-sans-extension
(Continue reading)

François Pinard | 10 Jan 15:53 2012
Picon

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

Hi again, Eric.  I'll be using your corrections on the code, thanks!

> I had to add a call to expand-file-name for getting a file name which
> worked on my system for some reason.

  (make-temp-name
   (expand-file-name
    (concat (file-name-as-directory name)
            (subst-char-in-string
             "." "-"
             (file-name-sans-extension
              (file-name-nondirectory
               (buffer-file-name)))))))
  ".png")))

Not a big deal, but I wonder if it should not rather be:

  (make-temp-name
   (concat (expand-file-name
            (file-name-as-directory name))
           (subst-char-in-string
            "." "-"
            (file-name-sans-extension
             (file-name-nondirectory
              (buffer-file-name))))))

as there is nothing to expand in the base part of the file name?

(Continue reading)

Eric S Fraga | 10 Jan 17:08 2012
X-Face

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> Hi again, Eric.  I'll be using your corrections on the code, thanks!

You're welcome!

>> I had to add a call to expand-file-name for getting a file name which
>> worked on my system for some reason.
>
>   (make-temp-name
>    (expand-file-name
>     (concat (file-name-as-directory name)
>             (subst-char-in-string
>              "." "-"
>              (file-name-sans-extension
>               (file-name-nondirectory
>                (buffer-file-name)))))))
>   ".png")))
>
> Not a big deal, but I wonder if it should not rather be:
>
>   (make-temp-name
>    (concat (expand-file-name
>             (file-name-as-directory name))
>            (subst-char-in-string
>             "." "-"
>             (file-name-sans-extension
>              (file-name-nondirectory
(Continue reading)

François Pinard | 10 Jan 20:27 2012
Picon

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga <at> ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I appreciate your reasoning in each case I've elided but, in the end,
> the different versions or approaches you mention are all essentially
> equivalent (computationally)... :-)

Who cares about computation! :-)

Some sad people think of me as a programmer.  While deep down, I am
fundamentally an artist.  Programming is mere mean of expression :-).

> Thanks again,

I'm the one thanking you!

François

Skip Collins | 10 Jan 20:46 2012
Picon

2012/1/10 François Pinard <pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca>:
> Some sad people think of me as a programmer.  While deep down, I am
> fundamentally an artist.  Programming is mere mean of expression :-).

You and Jambunathan K. should form a club.

Jambunathan K | 11 Jan 06:50 2012
Picon

Skip Collins <skip.collins <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2012/1/10 François Pinard <pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca>:
>> Some sad people think of me as a programmer.  While deep down, I am
>> fundamentally an artist.  Programming is mere mean of expression :-).
>
> You and Jambunathan K. should form a club.

Since I am being dragged in to the conversaion, I am digging out a
reddit post that resonated with me (in a totally different setting).

The clincher is actually the last paragraph and you need to read the
first few paragraphs to enjoy the last one.

There is also a story at the end of this post for everyone to ponder
about.

,---- From http://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/if08k/when_did_you_first_discover_the_illusory_nature/
| At some point in my teens I'd started doing C programming. If you
| don't know, computer code is usually formatted in a systematic way to
| make it easier to read. Most languages give you a lot of freedom in
| this, so every project has its own coding conventions.
|
| I was really into Linux and assumed Linus Torvalds was probably the
| most wonderful genius hacker of all time. He's got his own write-up
| about the Linux kernel coding style, which you can read here if you
| happen to be interested. Some quotes:
|
|     First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding
|     standards, and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic
(Continue reading)

Skip Collins | 12 Jan 06:26 2012
Picon

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> You and Jambunathan K. should form a club.
>
> Since I am being dragged in to the conversaion,

Of course I intend no disrespect for you or François. I have noticed
that org, perhaps not surprisingly, attracts people with a certain
detail-oriented aesthetic, similar in some ways to Knuth's obsessive
perfectionism. While Francois fancies himself an artist who works in
the medium of code, I suspect that most of those afflicted with OCD
(Org Compulsive Disorder) are closer in spirit to the artisan or
craftsman than to the artist.

Thomas S. Dye | 12 Jan 07:26 2012

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

Hi Skip,

I love OCD!  Thanks for that one.

And, thank goodness the Org mode community is big enough for artists,
artisans, and crafts people.

I find it fascinating to use software created by such a diverse
community.  I've often thought I'm glimpsing the future.

All the best,
Tom

Skip Collins <skip.collins <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>> You and Jambunathan K. should form a club.
>>
>> Since I am being dragged in to the conversaion,
>
> Of course I intend no disrespect for you or François. I have noticed
> that org, perhaps not surprisingly, attracts people with a certain
> detail-oriented aesthetic, similar in some ways to Knuth's obsessive
> perfectionism. While Francois fancies himself an artist who works in
> the medium of code, I suspect that most of those afflicted with OCD
> (Org Compulsive Disorder) are closer in spirit to the artisan or
> craftsman than to the artist.

(Continue reading)

François Pinard | 14 Jan 22:35 2012
Picon

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

Skip Collins <skip.collins <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2012/1/10 François Pinard <pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca>:
>> Some sad people think of me as a programmer.  While deep down, I am
>> fundamentally an artist.  Programming is mere mean of expression :-).

> You and Jambunathan K. should form a club.

I do not know Jambunathan, but I'll pay attention! :-)

François

P.S. This Org mode mailing list is quite active.  I did not pay
attention in the last few days (being busy elsewhere) and messages
accumulated at a relatively fast pace!

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa | 15 Jan 07:37 2012
Picon

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

A bit OT, but related.

---
It would be *awesome* if we could somehow hook into the emacs paste/(drag-and)drop events and automatically "paste" or "drop" the image in an org buffer. I don't know if it's possible, but I imagine that if hooking into those events was somehow possible, then we could get the "event handle" with information regarding the file, and automatically insert a link to it, and if iimage is activated, it would then render the image. It would be freaking awesome, this is the only thing I miss from Evernote.
---

- Marcelo.

2012/1/14 François Pinard <pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca>
Skip Collins <skip.collins <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2012/1/10 François Pinard <pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca>:
>> Some sad people think of me as a programmer.  While deep down, I am
>> fundamentally an artist.  Programming is mere mean of expression :-).

> You and Jambunathan K. should form a club.

I do not know Jambunathan, but I'll pay attention! :-)

François

P.S. This Org mode mailing list is quite active.  I did not pay
attention in the last few days (being busy elsewhere) and messages
accumulated at a relatively fast pace!

Russell Adams | 15 Jan 13:10 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:37:16AM -0600, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> A bit OT, but related.
>
> ---
> It would be *awesome* if we could somehow hook into the emacs
> paste/(drag-and)drop events and automatically "paste" or "drop" the image
> in an org buffer. I don't know if it's possible, but I imagine that if
> hooking into those events was somehow possible, then we could get the
> "event handle" with information regarding the file, and automatically
> insert a link to it, and if iimage is activated, it would then render the
> image. It would be freaking awesome, this is the only thing I miss from
> Evernote.
> ---
>
> - Marcelo.

Emacs has drag'n'drop support. In fact, I've been able to drag and
drop image files from KDE's file manager (dolphin?) into emacs and make
them custom links.

.emacs:
(defun dnd-from-kde (url action)
  (insert url)
  (select-frame-set-input-focus (selected-frame)))

(custom-set-variables
   '(dnd-protocol-alist (quote (("file:///" . dnd-from-kde)))))

This ought to give you a place to start. The URL format may need to
change to make it an Org link, I was using file:// for another text
format.

Russell Adams                            RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.com

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa | 15 Jan 20:31 2012
Picon

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

Awesome! I will try that out.

What about hooking into the pasting event and check when it's an image (or whatever file you want) ?

Thanks,

- Marcelo.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> adamsinfoserv.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:37:16AM -0600, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> A bit OT, but related.
>
> ---
> It would be *awesome* if we could somehow hook into the emacs
> paste/(drag-and)drop events and automatically "paste" or "drop" the image
> in an org buffer. I don't know if it's possible, but I imagine that if
> hooking into those events was somehow possible, then we could get the
> "event handle" with information regarding the file, and automatically
> insert a link to it, and if iimage is activated, it would then render the
> image. It would be freaking awesome, this is the only thing I miss from
> Evernote.
> ---
>
> - Marcelo.

Emacs has drag'n'drop support. In fact, I've been able to drag and
drop image files from KDE's file manager (dolphin?) into emacs and make
them custom links.

.emacs:
(defun dnd-from-kde (url action)
 (insert url)
 (select-frame-set-input-focus (selected-frame)))

(custom-set-variables
  '(dnd-protocol-alist (quote (("file:///" . dnd-from-kde)))))

This ought to give you a place to start. The URL format may need to
change to make it an Org link, I was using file:// for another text
format.

Russell Adams                            RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.com

PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Russell Adams | 15 Jan 22:45 2012

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

Marcelo,

You can check out the Emacs DND (drag-n-drop) help files for more
information. I'm not sure what other capabilities it has. I know that
I was subscribing my function to the files event only, there were a
few other types.

Thanks.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 01:31:02PM -0600, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Awesome! I will try that out.
>
> What about hooking into the pasting event and check when it's an image (or
> whatever file you want) ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Marcelo.
>
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:10 AM, Russell Adams <RLAdams <at> adamsinfoserv.com>wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:37:16AM -0600, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> > > A bit OT, but related.
> > >
> > > ---
> > > It would be *awesome* if we could somehow hook into the emacs
> > > paste/(drag-and)drop events and automatically "paste" or "drop" the image
> > > in an org buffer. I don't know if it's possible, but I imagine that if
> > > hooking into those events was somehow possible, then we could get the
> > > "event handle" with information regarding the file, and automatically
> > > insert a link to it, and if iimage is activated, it would then render the
> > > image. It would be freaking awesome, this is the only thing I miss from
> > > Evernote.
> > > ---
> > >
> > > - Marcelo.
> >
> > Emacs has drag'n'drop support. In fact, I've been able to drag and
> > drop image files from KDE's file manager (dolphin?) into emacs and make
> > them custom links.
> >
> > .emacs:
> > (defun dnd-from-kde (url action)
> >  (insert url)
> >  (select-frame-set-input-focus (selected-frame)))
> >
> > (custom-set-variables
> >   '(dnd-protocol-alist (quote (("file:///" . dnd-from-kde)))))
> >
> > This ought to give you a place to start. The URL format may need to
> > change to make it an Org link, I was using file:// for another text
> > format.

> > Russell Adams                            RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.com
> >
> > PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
> >
> > Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Russell Adams                            RLAdams <at> AdamsInfoServ.com

Eric S Fraga | 10 Jan 21:26 2012
X-Face

Re: [Orgmode] Automatic screenshot insertion

pinard <at> iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> Some sad people think of me as a programmer.  While deep down, I am
> fundamentally an artist.  Programming is mere mean of expression :-).

Hence:

D Knuth: The Art of computer programming
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming

or programming for expression (well, a form of art) instead:

Prusinkiewicz & Lindenmayer (1990), The algorithmic beauty of plants
[[http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/#abop]]

You can download the latter from the site!

Anyway, totally and utterly OT! :-)  I'm done!

: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.73.gd2b3d)

Bastien | 3 Feb 14:33 2011
Picon

Jonathan BISSON <bissonjonathan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Here is a little function that allows a user to insert a screenshot
> easily. Only works on unix-like systems where ImageMagick is installed
> (adapt "import" to your screenshot program if needed).

I added this to worg/org-hacks.org

Thanks!

 Bastien