Stephen Nelson-Smith | 7 Sep 07:39 2011
Picon

Reminders with alarms

Hi there,

I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.

Suppose I have an entry like:

** My project
*** My action 1 :home:
*** My action 2 :follow up:

I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
been unable to get it to remind me at all.

Any suggestions?

S.

Eric S Fraga | 7 Sep 09:40 2011
X-Face

Re: Reminders with alarms

Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
> yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
> for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
> reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.
>
> Suppose I have an entry like:
>
> ** My project
> *** My action 1 :home:
> *** My action 2 :follow up:
>
> I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
> maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
> etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
> been unable to get it to remind me at all.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> S.

Yes, depending on what system you are using...  Assuming Linux, see
below.  For any system, org will interface with Emacs's own appointment
system; again, see below but only some parts will be relevant.

You should use active time stamps and look at the Emacs Wiki for how to
get an on screen display:
(Continue reading)

Eric Abrahamsen | 7 Sep 10:42 2011
Picon

Re: Reminders with alarms

On Wed, Sep 07 2011, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
> yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
> for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
> reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.
>
> Suppose I have an entry like:
>
> ** My project
> *** My action 1 :home:
> *** My action 2 :follow up:
>
> I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
> maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
> etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
> been unable to get it to remind me at all.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> S.

Pretty much everything interesting that can be done with TODOs and
scheduling is done via the entry point of Agenda Views. When you say you
want a "reminder", my guess is that a scheduled todo showing up on the
day/week agenda view is probably what you mean. Try calling `org-agenda'
and then choosing 'a': is that what you were after? I keep one agenda
view or another open all day long as I work, that's how it reminds me.
(Continue reading)

Bernt Hansen | 7 Sep 18:25 2011
Picon

Re: Reminders with alarms

Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
> yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
> for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
> reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.
>
> Suppose I have an entry like:
>
> ** My project
> *** My action 1 :home:
> *** My action 2 :follow up:
>
> I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
> maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
> etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
> been unable to get it to remind me at all.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> S.

This is what I use:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Reminders

-Bernt

(Continue reading)

Martyn Jago | 7 Sep 21:05 2011

Re: Reminders with alarms

Hi

Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
> yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
> for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
> reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.
>
> Suppose I have an entry like:
>
> ** My project
> *** My action 1 :home:
> *** My action 2 :follow up:
>
> I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
> maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
> etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
> been unable to get it to remind me at all.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> S.

I use the growl notification system (on MAC) along with todochiku.el for
simple timer notification out of Emacs. Growl can be set to 'speak' the
notification (not sure about other sounds).

(Continue reading)

Jude DaShiell | 8 Sep 05:10 2011
Picon

Re: Reminders with alarms

In debian, there's a cowsay package you can use to make the computer
speak.  Also packages that produce different types of beeps are
available.   So far as I now know, they would need to be run as part of
a bash script or the equivalent within emacs in order to work though.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Martyn Jago wrote:

> Hi
>
> Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
> > yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
> > for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
> > reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.
> >
> > Suppose I have an entry like:
> >
> > ** My project
> > *** My action 1 :home:
> > *** My action 2 :follow up:
> >
> > I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
> > maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
> > etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
> > been unable to get it to remind me at all.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
(Continue reading)

brian powell | 8 Sep 17:42 2011
Picon

Re: Reminders with alarms

*Recommend using "flite" (FestivalLite) for text-to-speech: cat
blah.reminder | flite

** Could get really over-the-top and do something like this:

http://gizmodo.com/5522802/twitter-chumby-and-a-cuckoo-bird-walk-into-a-clock?tag=chumby

--you could use the Twitter API and send OrgMode Tweets (complete with
reminders) to your personalized Chumby Cuckoo Clock!!

;-)

P.S. I've used calendar/*Fancy Diary Entries* and appt.el for many
years--works great--I just have it pop up a big blank emacs screen
with the alarm reminder--I usually set it for 15 minutes ahead of the
important reminder:
;;; appt.el --- appointment notification functions.
;; Copyright (C) 1989, 1990, 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
;; Author: Neil Mager <neilm <at> juliet.ll.mit.edu>
(setq appt-message-warning-time 15)
(setq appt-display-interval 5)

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel <at> shellworld.net> wrote:
> In debian, there's a cowsay package you can use to make the computer
> speak.  Also packages that produce different types of beeps are
> available.   So far as I now know, they would need to be run as part of
> a bash script or the equivalent within emacs in order to work though.
>
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Martyn Jago wrote:
(Continue reading)

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer | 3 Oct 13:45 2011
Picon

Re: Reminders with alarms

brian powell (2011-09-08 17:42:02 +0200) wrote:

> P.S. I've used calendar/*Fancy Diary Entries* and appt.el for many
> years--works great--I just have it pop up a big blank emacs screen
> with the alarm reminder--I usually set it for 15 minutes ahead of the
> important reminder:
> ;;; appt.el --- appointment notification functions.
> ;; Copyright (C) 1989, 1990, 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> ;; Author: Neil Mager <neilm <at> juliet.ll.mit.edu>
> (setq appt-message-warning-time 15)
> (setq appt-display-interval 5)

I also use appt.el, but I've written a notification function that calls
a little script to use FreeDesktop.org's notifications and send a
message to Screen sessions.  The script is only called from the Emacs
server process to avoid repeated messages, since I may have other Emacs
processes running.

The function is (customize appt-disp-window-function to use this):

(defun ivb/appt-disp-window (min-to-app new-time appt-msg)
  (if (condition-case nil
          (server-running-p)
        (void-function nil))
      (call-process "notify" nil 0 nil "Reminder" appt-msg))