Frank Fischer | 12 Feb 09:44 2013
Picon

[ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Hi Evil users,

finally we managed to release version 1.0.0 of Evil. The stable
version will be maintaned in the branch 'stable-1.0' in the git
repository [1], the 'master' branch remains for future developments.

Evil is also available as ELPA package from marmalade [2].

In fact, the reason that it took so long is that I've not been able to
upload the package to marmalade -- I've even managed to crash the
server two times (maybe to contents of the package was too Evil ...).
So I tried for some weeks and finally succeeded today ;)

May the future be Evil,
Frank

[1] https://gitorious.org/evil/
[2] http://marmalade-repo.org
Sanel Zukan | 12 Feb 13:18 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Wonderful news; congratulations!

Do you have any specific plan for marketing or we (rest of the folks
on this list) could put this announce on various online media?

Btw. I'm planning for some time to start working on ':set'
implementation, where things could be configured as in Vi/Vim.
What do you think about it; have you planned
similar feature or, after all, are you interested in those patches?

Regards,
Sanel

Frank Fischer <frank-fischer <at> shadow-soft.de> wrote:
> Hi Evil users,
>
> finally we managed to release version 1.0.0 of Evil. The stable
> version will be maintaned in the branch 'stable-1.0' in the git
> repository [1], the 'master' branch remains for future developments.
>
> Evil is also available as ELPA package from marmalade [2].
>
> In fact, the reason that it took so long is that I've not been able to
> upload the package to marmalade -- I've even managed to crash the
> server two times (maybe to contents of the package was too Evil ...).
> So I tried for some weeks and finally succeeded today ;)
>
> May the future be Evil,
> Frank

(Continue reading)

Tom Short | 12 Feb 13:30 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Congratulations from me, too! Great to see.

Evil's great!
Frank Fischer | 12 Feb 20:49 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

On 2013-02-12, Sanel Zukan <sanelz <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any specific plan for marketing or we (rest of the folks
> on this list) could put this announce on various online media?

I've never thought about something like this. Feel free to announce
whereever you think it's appropriate ;)

> Btw. I'm planning for some time to start working on ':set'
> implementation, where things could be configured as in Vi/Vim.
> What do you think about it; have you planned
> similar feature

No.

> or, after all, are you interested in those patches?

Sure. But I think it could be quite challenging depending on what you
want to achieve. Simply make :set VAR=VALUE an alternative to (setq
VAR VALUE) should not be too difficult. But this would only work for
Emacs variables. If you want give appropriate mappings of Vim variable
names to Emacs settings, then this is probably much more difficult. In
particular, because not every Vim setting has a direct counterpart but
may need several adjustments. But I think it would be a nice feature
to have ... ;)

Best regards
Frank
Sanel Zukan | 16 Feb 20:06 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:49:56PM +0000, Frank Fischer wrote:
> I've never thought about something like this. Feel free to announce
> whereever you think it's appropriate ;)

Evil got slashdotted :D
(http://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/02/16/0251239/evil-almost-full-vim-implementation-in-emacs-reaches-10)

> Sure. But I think it could be quite challenging depending on what you
> want to achieve. Simply make :set VAR=VALUE an alternative to (setq
> VAR VALUE) should not be too difficult. But this would only work for
> Emacs variables. If you want give appropriate mappings of Vim variable
> names to Emacs settings, then this is probably much more difficult. In
> particular, because not every Vim setting has a direct counterpart but
> may need several adjustments. But I think it would be a nice feature
> to have ... ;)

I'm planning at the beginning to implement simple mappings, (:set
VAR=VALUE equivalents to (setq VAR VALUE)) and later will see how
things will develop. Truth to be told I'm mainly using shiftwidth,
tabstop, showmatch and textwidth and emacs equivalents aren't always
obvious due quite non-uniform interface (vi did this right).

> Best regards
> Frank

Regards,
Sanel
Martin DeMello | 17 Feb 05:18 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Also being discussed on /r/vim:

http://www.reddit.com/r/vim/comments/18mky1/evil_a_nearly_complete_vim_implementation_in_emacs/

martin

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Sanel Zukan <sanelz <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:49:56PM +0000, Frank Fischer wrote:
>> I've never thought about something like this. Feel free to announce
>> whereever you think it's appropriate ;)
>
> Evil got slashdotted :D
> (http://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/02/16/0251239/evil-almost-full-vim-implementation-in-emacs-reaches-10)
>
>> Sure. But I think it could be quite challenging depending on what you
>> want to achieve. Simply make :set VAR=VALUE an alternative to (setq
>> VAR VALUE) should not be too difficult. But this would only work for
>> Emacs variables. If you want give appropriate mappings of Vim variable
>> names to Emacs settings, then this is probably much more difficult. In
>> particular, because not every Vim setting has a direct counterpart but
>> may need several adjustments. But I think it would be a nice feature
>> to have ... ;)
>
> I'm planning at the beginning to implement simple mappings, (:set
> VAR=VALUE equivalents to (setq VAR VALUE)) and later will see how
> things will develop. Truth to be told I'm mainly using shiftwidth,
> tabstop, showmatch and textwidth and emacs equivalents aren't always
> obvious due quite non-uniform interface (vi did this right).
>
>> Best regards
(Continue reading)

Michael Markert | 12 Feb 13:07 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

On Tue, Feb 12 2013 (09:44), Frank Fischer <frank-fischer <at> shadow-soft.de> wrote:

> Hi Evil users,
>
> finally we managed to release version 1.0.0 of Evil.

Truly, these are evil times! :)

Thank you for all the work you put into evil, of course the same goes to
Vegard and all other contributors!

Let's make the Future of Emacs a bit more Evil!

Michael
Christoph LANGE | 12 Feb 16:22 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Dear Evil developers,

M-x congratulations RET

Cheers,

Christoph (raising his vi reference cup to evil; similar to this one:
http://www.linux2go.de/images/products/tasse_vi1l.jpg)

http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701

→ SePublica Workshop  <at>  ESWC 2013.  Montpellier, France, 26-30 May.
  Deadline 4 Mar; http://sepublica.mywikipaper.org
→ Intelligent Computer Mathematics, 7–12 Jul, Bath, UK; Deadline 8 Mar
  http://cicm-conference.org/2013/
→ Enabling Domain Experts to use Formalised Reasoning  <at>  AISB 2013
  3–5 April 2013, Exeter, UK.  3 Hands-on Tutorials on Economics
  http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/events/aisb2013/

Eric S Fraga | 19 Feb 11:29 2013

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Christoph LANGE <math.semantic.web <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Evil developers,
>
> M-x congratulations RET

Shouldn't this be

: congratulations RET

;-)

Anyway, I concur!  Thanks to all involved.

: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.6
: BBDB version 3.02 ($Date: 2013/02/16 14:37:17 $)
Christoph LANGE | 19 Feb 11:50 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

> Christoph LANGE <math.semantic.web <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear Evil developers,
>>
>> M-x congratulations RET
>
> Shouldn't this be
>
> : congratulations RET

The latter is not yet implemented, so for now only the M-x variant works ;-)

SCNR

Christoph

http://cs.bham.ac.uk/~langec/, Skype duke4701

→ SePublica Workshop  <at>  ESWC 2013.  Montpellier, France, 26-30 May.
  Deadline 4 Mar; http://sepublica.mywikipaper.org
→ Intelligent Computer Mathematics, 7–12 Jul, Bath, UK; Deadline 8 Mar
  http://cicm-conference.org/2013/
→ Enabling Domain Experts to use Formalised Reasoning  <at>  AISB 2013
  3–5 April 2013, Exeter, UK.  3 Hands-on Tutorials on Economics
  http://cs.bham.ac.uk/research/projects/formare/events/aisb2013/

Sanel Zukan | 19 Feb 13:40 2013
Picon

Re: [ANN] evil 1.0.0 Released

Easy to fix ;)

(evil-define-operator evil-congratulations (begin end)
  (message "1.0 released! Enjoy..."))

(evil-ex-define-cmd "congratulations" 'evil-congratulations)

Regards,
Sanel