adam | 5 Mar 05:01 2011

Do Android releases violate GPL before the source is released?

Hello All,

I wasn't sure where to ask this question; I figured gpl-violations.org was the best place. If this is off
topic or the wrong place I apologize. Any help figuring out where to ask would be appreciated.

The next major version of Android, Android 3.0 "Honeycomb," is currently being sold to consumers on the
Motorola Xoom tablet. However, the Android 3.0 source has not yet been released to the public. Android is
made up of various pieces of software held under various licenses, including the GPL (e.g. the Linux
kernel.) Right now a consumer can walk into Best Buy and purchase a Xoom tablet but cannot access the source
code for the GPL'ed software it ships with. I checked both the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and
Motorola's open-source website and neither of them list the Android 3.0 source or make mention of how the
source would be obtained.

My question is: does this violate the GPL? Major releases of Android often debut shipping on new hardware
before the source is released (often weeks before.) Are the AOSP, or Google, or the hardware
manufacturers then violating the GPL during that time where the source is unavailable?

Again, thanks for reading. I hope I'm interpreting this incorrectly and someone can point out how.

Thanks!
Adam Drew

adam | 5 Mar 05:33 2011

RE: Do Android releases violate GPL before the source is released?

Nope, I was wrong. The GPL'ed code is kept seperate from the larger Android source. The kernel source is kept
at android.git.kernel.org.

Isn't that always the way? Research. Don't find the answer. Mail a list. Find the answer.

Sorry all for the noise.

[...]

(Continue reading)

J S | 5 Mar 05:51 2011

Re: Do Android releases violate GPL before the source is released?

I believe the kernel source is public, everything else is under apache.

Justin Case

On 03/04/2011 08:01 PM, adam <at> linkedlistcorruption.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I wasn't sure where to ask this question; I figured gpl-violations.org was the best place. If this is off
topic or the wrong place I apologize. Any help figuring out where to ask would be appreciated.

> The next major version of Android, Android 3.0 "Honeycomb," is currently being sold to consumers on the
Motorola Xoom tablet. However, the Android 3.0 source has not yet been released to the public. Android is
made up of various pieces of software held under various licenses, including the GPL (e.g. the Linux
kernel.) Right now a consumer can walk into Best Buy and purchase a Xoom tablet but cannot access the source
code for the GPL'ed software it ships with. I checked both the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and
Motorola's open-source website and neither of them list the Android 3.0 source or make mention of how the
source would be obtained.

> My question is: does this violate the GPL? Major releases of Android often debut shipping on new hardware
before the source is released (often weeks before.) Are the AOSP, or Google, or the hardware
manufacturers then violating the GPL during that time where the source is unavailable?

> Again, thanks for reading. I hope I'm interpreting this incorrectly and someone can point out how.
>
> Thanks!
> Adam Drew

(Continue reading)

Armijn Hemel | 5 Mar 11:26 2011
Picon

On 03/05/2011 05:51 AM, J S wrote:
> I believe the kernel source is public, everything else is under apache.

The stock Android software distribution: yes. However, there are many
tablet manufacturers who add extra software, which might be under a
different license.

armijn

armijn <at> uulug.nl |http://www.uulug.nl/| UULug: Utrecht Linux Users Group