Raymond Yau | 4 May 17:42 2011
Picon

Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

Request for testers to test the patch

Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
panel speakers and a second audio source through front panel headphones or
speakers.

Hardware requirement
1) 10 channels realtek codec (e.g. alc892) which already work with
model=auto
2) Headphone at front panel and Line out at rear panel

"hw:0,0" is used for the rear panel audio jack
"hw:0,2" is used for the front panel headphone when "Independent HP" is
switched ON

Add an "Independent HP" switch to turn this feature on/off for desktop for
those HDA codec

Test:
1) speaker-test -c 8 -t wav -Dhw:0,0
2) speaker-test -c 2 -t wav -Dhw:0,2

It will need modification to support this feature for those desktop with 8
channels codec
Request for testers to test the patch

Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
(Continue reading)

Takashi Iwai | 5 May 11:54 2011
Picon

Re: Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

At Wed, 4 May 2011 23:42:24 +0800,
Raymond Yau wrote:

> Request for testers to test the patch
>
> Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
> panel speakers and a second audio source through front panel headphones or
> speakers.
>
> Hardware requirement
> 1) 10 channels realtek codec (e.g. alc892) which already work with
> model=auto
> 2) Headphone at front panel and Line out at rear panel
>
> "hw:0,0" is used for the rear panel audio jack
> "hw:0,2" is used for the front panel headphone when "Independent HP" is
> switched ON

I'd name it differently, e.g. "Headphone Stream Mode" taking "Slave" and
"Independent", or such.  An enum with "ON" and "OFF" is no sensible choice.

Takashi
Valerio tesei | 5 May 13:26 2011

2011/5/5 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>

> At Wed, 4 May 2011 23:42:24 +0800,
> Raymond Yau wrote:
> >
> > Request for testers to test the patch
> >
> > Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
> > panel speakers and a second audio source through front panel headphones
> or
> > speakers.
> >
> > Hardware requirement
> > 1) 10 channels realtek codec (e.g. alc892) which already work with
> > model=auto
> > 2) Headphone at front panel and Line out at rear panel
> >
> > "hw:0,0" is used for the rear panel audio jack
> > "hw:0,2" is used for the front panel headphone when "Independent HP" is
> > switched ON
>
> I'd name it differently, e.g. "Headphone Stream Mode" taking "Slave" and
> "Independent", or such.  An enum with "ON" and "OFF" is no sensible choice.
>

> Takashi

Raymond Yau | 7 May 04:52 2011

2011/5/5 Valerio tesei <valerio.tesei <at> gmail.com>

> Hi Raymond,
>
> About my problem, the audio card with the latest patches seems to work (but
> great noise when nothing is playing is present, i also tried to mute
> everything in alsamixer) so i could say "it works with model=auto"

I think it just partially works with model=auto

according to your alsa-info.sh

> I applied the patch, and build the kernel, this is my lastest alsa-info:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=61aa4129d0ea771ebc7226ea80c5c3ead24ef05c

There are two sets of capture volume/switch and input sources controls but
only one capture device

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1

Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Rear Mic'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
(Continue reading)

Valerio tesei | 9 May 10:12 2011

2011/5/7 Raymond Yau <superquad.vortex2 <at> gmail.com>

> 2011/5/5 Valerio tesei <valerio.tesei <at> gmail.com>
>

> > Hi Raymond,
> >
> > About my problem, the audio card with the latest patches seems to work
> (but
> > great noise when nothing is playing is present, i also tried to mute
> > everything in alsamixer) so i could say "it works with model=auto"
>

> I think it just partially works with model=auto

This mean that i must wait that some one fix my sound card? I'm not able to
do this by myself

> according to your alsa-info.sh
>
> > I applied the patch, and build the kernel, this is my lastest alsa-info:
> >
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=61aa4129d0ea771ebc7226ea80c5c3ead24ef05c
>

> There are two sets of capture volume/switch and input sources controls but
> only one capture device

(Continue reading)

Raymond Yau | 10 May 02:50 2011

2011/5/9 Valerio tesei <valerio.tesei <at> gmail.com>

> 2011/5/7 Raymond Yau <superquad.vortex2 <at> gmail.com>
>
> > 2011/5/5 Valerio tesei <valerio.tesei <at> gmail.com>
> >

> > > Hi Raymond,
> > >
> > > About my problem, the audio card with the latest patches seems to work
> > (but
> > > great noise when nothing is playing is present, i also tried to mute
> > > everything in alsamixer) so i could say "it works with model=auto"
> >

> > I think it just partially works with model=auto
> >
> This mean that i must wait that some one fix my sound card? I'm not able to
> do this by myself

 What about the rear / front problem that make hear only one channel at
> front
> and only one channel at rear is a configuration problem or a driver
> problem?

you can use hda-analyzer to change the volume slider and mute switch in the
path from [Audio Output] to [Pin Complex] ,the graph show all the connected
path in thick blue line (same as datasheet) and the status line show the
(Continue reading)

Raymond Yau | 6 May 05:30 2011
Picon

Re: Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

2011/5/5 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>

> At Wed, 4 May 2011 23:42:24 +0800,
> Raymond Yau wrote:
> >
> > Request for testers to test the patch
> >
> > Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
> > panel speakers and a second audio source through front panel headphones
> or
> > speakers.
> >
> > Hardware requirement
> > 1) 10 channels realtek codec (e.g. alc892) which already work with
> > model=auto
> > 2) Headphone at front panel and Line out at rear panel
> >
> > "hw:0,0" is used for the rear panel audio jack
> > "hw:0,2" is used for the front panel headphone when "Independent HP" is
> > switched ON
>
> I'd name it differently, e.g. "Headphone Stream Mode" taking "Slave" and
> "Independent", or such.  An enum with "ON" and "OFF" is no sensible choice.
>

> Takashi

Use "Independent HP" just because patch_via.c already used it so it is
better to use a standard name for all hda codecs
(Continue reading)

Takashi Iwai | 6 May 07:28 2011
Picon

Re: Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

At Fri, 6 May 2011 11:30:16 +0800,
Raymond Yau wrote:

> 2011/5/5 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>
>
> > At Wed, 4 May 2011 23:42:24 +0800,
> > Raymond Yau wrote:
> > >
> > > Request for testers to test the patch
> > >
> > > Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
> > > panel speakers and a second audio source through front panel headphones
> > or
> > > speakers.
> > >
> > > Hardware requirement
> > > 1) 10 channels realtek codec (e.g. alc892) which already work with
> > > model=auto
> > > 2) Headphone at front panel and Line out at rear panel
> > >
> > > "hw:0,0" is used for the rear panel audio jack
> > > "hw:0,2" is used for the front panel headphone when "Independent HP" is
> > > switched ON
> >
> > I'd name it differently, e.g. "Headphone Stream Mode" taking "Slave" and
> > "Independent", or such.  An enum with "ON" and "OFF" is no sensible choice.
> >

> > Takashi

(Continue reading)

Raymond Yau | 7 May 05:48 2011

2011/5/6 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>

> > Use "Independent HP" just because patch_via.c already used it so it is
> > better to use a standard name for all hda codecs
>
> Yeah, I know.  But this name is confusing, so better to change in
> patch_via.c as well.
>

> Takashi

To force pulseaudio to get the correct subdevice for via codec, you may need
to add "subdevice 0" to HDA-intel.conf

since subdevice 0 support multichannel but subdevice 1 only support stereo

    playback.pcm {
        type softvol
        slave.pcm {
            type hw
            card $CARD
+          subdevice 0
        }
        control {
            name "PCM Playback Volume"
            card $CARD
        }
(Continue reading)

Takashi Iwai | 9 May 14:13 2011
Picon

Re: Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

At Sat, 7 May 2011 11:48:19 +0800,
Raymond Yau wrote:

> 2011/5/6 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>
>

> > > Use "Independent HP" just because patch_via.c already used it so it is
> > > better to use a standard name for all hda codecs
> >
> > Yeah, I know.  But this name is confusing, so better to change in
> > patch_via.c as well.
> >

> > Takashi
> >

> To force pulseaudio to get the correct subdevice for via codec, you may need
> to add "subdevice 0" to HDA-intel.conf
>
> since subdevice 0 support multichannel but subdevice 1 only support stereo
>

>     playback.pcm {
>         type softvol
>         slave.pcm {
>             type hw
>             card $CARD
> +          subdevice 0
>         }
(Continue reading)

Raymond Yau | 10 May 08:42 2011

2011/5/9 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>

> At Sat, 7 May 2011 11:48:19 +0800,
> Raymond Yau wrote:

> is
> > >
> > > Yeah, I know.  But this name is confusing, so better to change in
> > > patch_via.c as well.
> > >

> > > Takashi
> > >

> > To force pulseaudio to get the correct subdevice for via codec, you may
> need
> > to add "subdevice 0" to HDA-intel.conf
> >
> > since subdevice 0 support multichannel but subdevice 1 only support
> stereo
> >

> >     playback.pcm {
> >         type softvol
(Continue reading)

Takashi Iwai | 10 May 09:11 2011
Picon

Re: Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

At Tue, 10 May 2011 14:42:45 +0800,
Raymond Yau wrote:

> 2011/5/9 Takashi Iwai <tiwai <at> suse.de>
>
> > At Sat, 7 May 2011 11:48:19 +0800,
> > Raymond Yau wrote:

> > is

> > > To force pulseaudio to get the correct subdevice for via codec, you may
> > need
> > > to add "subdevice 0" to HDA-intel.conf
> > >
> > > since subdevice 0 support multichannel but subdevice 1 only support
> > stereo

(Continue reading)

Valerio Tesei | 5 May 21:50 2011

Il 04/05/2011 17:42, Raymond Yau ha scritto:
> Request for testers to test the patch
>
> Multistreaming allows you to listen to one audio source through the back
> panel speakers and a second audio source through front panel headphones or
> speakers.
>
> Hardware requirement
> 1) 10 channels realtek codec (e.g. alc892) which already work with
> model=auto
> 2) Headphone at front panel and Line out at rear panel
>
> "hw:0,0" is used for the rear panel audio jack
> "hw:0,2" is used for the front panel headphone when "Independent HP" is
> switched ON
>
> Add an "Independent HP" switch to turn this feature on/off for desktop for
> those HDA codec
>
> Test:
> 1) speaker-test -c 8 -t wav -Dhw:0,0
> 2) speaker-test -c 2 -t wav -Dhw:0,2
>
> It will need modification to support this feature for those desktop with 8
> channels codec

> Alsa-devel <at> alsa-project.org
(Continue reading)

Raymond Yau | 15 May 05:21 2011