bEN | 31 Mar 20:19 2012
Picon

snd-usb-audio probe problem (Teac UD-H01)

Hi all,

the new USB DAC from Teac seems detected as 'Human Interface Device'
instead of 'Audio'. Despite the fact it is based on a standard USB Audio
class v2 controller (Tenor 8802).

Below is dmesg and lsusb outputs.

Does it need to apply a patch in /sound/usb/quirks-table.h ?
If yes, someone could help me to write this patch, please?

Your help would be very much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

bEN

(from Ubuntu 11.04 with Linux 2.6.38-13-generic + Alsa driver 1.0.23)

$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

$ dmesg
(...)
[34035.000078] usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 3
[34035.151753] usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but
max is 2
[34035.151763] usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but
max is 2
[34035.151770] usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but
max is 2
(Continue reading)

Pavel Hofman | 2 Apr 09:44 2012

Re: snd-usb-audio probe problem (Teac UD-H01)

Dne 31.3.2012 20:19, bEN napsal(a):
> Hi all,
>
> the new USB DAC from Teac seems detected as 'Human Interface Device'
> instead of 'Audio'. Despite the fact it is based on a standard USB Audio
> class v2 controller (Tenor 8802).
>
> Below is dmesg and lsusb outputs.

Hi, the lsusb shows both HID interface (button?) and audio interface
beneath.

Pavel.
Clemens Ladisch | 2 Apr 10:12 2012
Picon

bEN wrote:
> the new USB DAC from Teac seems detected as 'Human Interface Device'
> instead of 'Audio'.

It has both HID and audio interfaces.

> Despite the fact it is based on a standard USB Audio
> class v2 controller (Tenor 8802).

Which doesn't prevent Teac from writing buggy firmware.

> $ dmesg
> usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but max is 2
> usb 2-4: config 1 has no interface number 1

This violates the USB spec.  But I guess it shouldn't prevent the driver
from attaching to the device.

> Audio class v2 interfaces need an interface association

This looks like a bug in the driver; there certainly is such
an descriptor.  Daniel?

Regards,
Clemens

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0644:8038 TEAC Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
(Continue reading)

Daniel Mack | 8 Apr 16:23 2012
Picon

On 02.04.2012 10:12, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> bEN wrote:
>> the new USB DAC from Teac seems detected as 'Human Interface Device'
>> instead of 'Audio'.
>
> It has both HID and audio interfaces.
>
>> Despite the fact it is based on a standard USB Audio
>> class v2 controller (Tenor 8802).
>
> Which doesn't prevent Teac from writing buggy firmware.
>
>> $ dmesg
>> usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
>> usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but max is 2
>> usb 2-4: config 1 has no interface number 1
>
> This violates the USB spec.  But I guess it shouldn't prevent the driver
> from attaching to the device.

Right, that's just a warning.

>> Audio class v2 interfaces need an interface association
>
> This looks like a bug in the driver; there certainly is such
> an descriptor.  Daniel?

The USB audio driver actually just uses functions from the USB driver
core to access the interface association. However, the USB core didn't
assign it during its probe, which is most probably a result of the
(Continue reading)

Daniel Mack | 10 Jun 22:26 2012
Picon

On 08.04.2012 16:23, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On 02.04.2012 10:12, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> bEN wrote:
>>> the new USB DAC from Teac seems detected as 'Human Interface Device'
>>> instead of 'Audio'.
>>
>> It has both HID and audio interfaces.
>>
>>> Despite the fact it is based on a standard USB Audio
>>> class v2 controller (Tenor 8802).
>>
>> Which doesn't prevent Teac from writing buggy firmware.
>>
>>> $ dmesg
>>> usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
>>> usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but max is 2
>>> usb 2-4: config 1 has no interface number 1
>>
>> This violates the USB spec.  But I guess it shouldn't prevent the driver
>> from attaching to the device.
>
> Right, that's just a warning.
>
>>> Audio class v2 interfaces need an interface association
>>
>> This looks like a bug in the driver; there certainly is such
>> an descriptor.  Daniel?
>
> The USB audio driver actually just uses functions from the USB driver
> core to access the interface association. However, the USB core didn't
(Continue reading)

Patrick P | 12 Oct 23:33 2012
Picon

Re: snd-usb-audio probe problem (Teac UD-H01)

Anyone try this yet?  I have a fiio E10 and a at&t galaxy S3 rooted and ready to
go.  If someone builds me a flashable kernel I'll give it a go.

Daniel Mack | 13 Oct 10:07 2012
Picon

On 12.10.2012 23:33, Patrick P wrote:
> Anyone try this yet?  I have a fiio E10 and a at&t galaxy S3 rooted and ready to
> go.  If someone builds me a flashable kernel I'll give it a go.

Try what exactly? Is this message related to the thread you're replying to?

Gmane