Tobias Powalowski | 25 Oct 17:12 2011

[signoff] linux-3.1-1

Hi guys,
please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.

Upstream
changes:
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

Archlinux Changes:
- $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
- all external modules should be installed in
  /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
- disabled the old IDE subsystem,
  marked as deprecated for quite some time
  All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
  should make the transition to pata hook now!
- disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
  marked as deprecated for quite some time,
  everything is available in /sys

greetings
tpowa

Tobias Powalowski
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@...

fredbezies | 25 Oct 17:27 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

2011/10/25 Tobias Powalowski <tobias.powalowski <at> googlemail.com>:
> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>  /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>  marked as deprecated for quite some time
>  All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>  should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>  marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>  everything is available in /sys
>
> greetings
> tpowa
> --
> Tobias Powalowski
> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
> http://www.archlinux.org
> tpowa <at> archlinux.org

(Continue reading)

Alex Ferrando | 25 Oct 17:31 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Bootable and working on x86_64 laptop

On Tue 25 Oct 2011 17:27:40 CEST, fredbezies wrote:
> 2011/10/25 Tobias Powalowski<tobias.powalowski <at> googlemail.com>:
>> Hi guys,
>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>>
>> Upstream
>> changes:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>> Archlinux Changes:
>> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
>> - all external modules should be installed in
>>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
>> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>>   everything is available in /sys
>>
>> greetings
>> tpowa
>> --
>> Tobias Powalowski
>> Archlinux Developer&  Package Maintainer (tpowa)
>> http://www.archlinux.org
>> tpowa <at> archlinux.org
(Continue reading)

Yuan | 25 Oct 17:29 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

wow, cheers

Yuan

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Tobias Powalowski <
tobias.powalowski <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>  /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>  marked as deprecated for quite some time
>  All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>  should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>  marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>  everything is available in /sys
>
> greetings
> tpowa
> --
> Tobias Powalowski
(Continue reading)

Christian Hesse | 25 Oct 17:37 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Tobias Powalowski <tobias.powalowski <at> googlemail.com> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011
17:12:22 +0200:
> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>   everything is available in /sys

x86_64 works fine on Samsung NF310.

Schoene Gruesse
Chris

Tom Gundersen | 25 Oct 18:14 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski@...> wrote:
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>  marked as deprecated for quite some time
>  All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>  should make the transition to pata hook now!

Did Dan's patches (or equivalent) land in time for 3.1? I did not
notice them flying by, but I might have missed them in the kernel git
log.

For me, it boots, "dmesg --kernel --level err" is empty, and the
warnings I get seem to be the kernel telling me I have crappy hardware
(which I believe). So:

signoff x86_64

-t

Dan McGee | 25 Oct 18:18 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@...> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Powalowski
> <tobias.powalowski@...> wrote:
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>  marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>  All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>  should make the transition to pata hook now!
>
> Did Dan's patches (or equivalent) land in time for 3.1? I did not
> notice them flying by, but I might have missed them in the kernel git
> log.
Nope, but that's OK by me. If someone else has my exact hardware, I'll
be glad to provide a rebuilt module that I'm going to have to build
locally for now.

Of course, they haven't landed post-3.1 yet as of v3.1-2828-g7670c70...

> For me, it boots, "dmesg --kernel --level err" is empty, and the
> warnings I get seem to be the kernel telling me I have crappy hardware
> (which I believe). So:
>
> signoff x86_64
>
> -t

Thomas Bächler | 25 Oct 18:18 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Am 25.10.2011 18:14, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Tobias Powalowski
> <tobias.powalowski@...> wrote:
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>  marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>  All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>  should make the transition to pata hook now!
>
> Did Dan's patches (or equivalent) land in time for 3.1? I did not
> notice them flying by, but I might have missed them in the kernel git
> log.

Oh I don't know. But Dan had a workaround by forcing certain DMA modes
via command line, so we will all be fine.

Thomas Bächler | 25 Oct 20:48 2011

[signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>   everything is available in /sys

Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
files for those to see what needs changing.

Tom Gundersen | 26 Oct 00:42 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>> Hi guys,
>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>>
>> Upstream
>> changes:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>> Archlinux Changes:
>> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
>> - all external modules should be installed in
>>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
>> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>>   everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

I don't use any of that, but my laptop still boots so my previous
signoff (x86_64) still stands.

-t
(Continue reading)

Christian Hesse | 26 Oct 11:22 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > Hi guys,
> > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
> >
> > Upstream
> > changes:
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> >
> > Archlinux Changes:
> > - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> > - all external modules should be installed in
> >   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> > - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
> >   marked as deprecated for quite some time
> >   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
> >   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> > - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
> >   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
> >   everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci.

x86_64 works on my Samsung NF310 as well.

> All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

It works well on my laptop.
Signoff i686

Bl <at> ster / dottorblaster

Giovanni Scafora | 26 Oct 11:42 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Il 25/10/2011 20:48, Thomas Bächler ha scritto:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>> Hi guys,
>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>>
>> Upstream
>> changes:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>> Archlinux Changes:
>> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
>> - all external modules should be installed in
>>    /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>    marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>    All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>    should make the transition to pata hook now!
>> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>>    marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>>    everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

Signoff x86_64

Arch Linux Developer
(Continue reading)

Dominik Cermak | 26 Oct 11:54 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am Dienstag, 25. Oktober 2011, 20:48:34 schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > Hi guys,
> > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
> >
> > Upstream
> > changes:
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> >
> > Archlinux Changes:
> > - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> > - all external modules should be installed in
> >
> >   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> >
> > - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
> >
> >   marked as deprecated for quite some time
> >   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
> >   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> >
> > - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
> >
> >   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
> >   everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.
(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 26 Oct 12:05 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am 26.10.2011 11:54, schrieb Dominik Cermak:
> I get the following message displayed right before the initscripts output:
>
> [    2.117965] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH
>
> So far I have no problems, but this message seems important.

I have the same, and I am a bit worried. This message is from i915, but
my graphics work fine so far.

This is the output of dmesg -l err:

[    1.882959] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH
[   10.336917] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[   10.338144] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[   10.338784] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[   10.339422] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
[   12.546241] usb 1-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32

The first message is new in 3.1, the ACPI messages appeared with 3.0,
and the last one is a sporadic message that I already got with 3.0.

Paul Gideon Dann | 26 Oct 12:11 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Wednesday 26 Oct 2011 12:05:08 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> This is the output of dmesg -l err:
>

> [    1.882959] [drm:ironlake_update_pch_refclk] *ERROR* enabling SSC on PCH
> [   10.336917] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [   10.338144] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [   10.338784] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [   10.339422] ACPI: Invalid _PSD:coord_type
> [   12.546241] usb 1-1.6: device descriptor read/64, error -32
>
> The first message is new in 3.1, the ACPI messages appeared with 3.0,
> and the last one is a sporadic message that I already got with 3.0.

The SSC on PCH message may be a debug message that was accidentally left in.
See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/19/80

Paul

Dominik Cermak | 26 Oct 12:18 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2011, 11:11:19 schrieb Paul Gideon Dann:

> The SSC on PCH message may be a debug message that was accidentally left in.
> See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/19/80

Thanks for the link, looks like it is nothing to worry about.

Dominik
illdred | 27 Oct 06:00 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > Hi guys,
> > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
> >
> > Upstream
> > changes:
> > http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
> >
> > Archlinux Changes:
> > - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> > - all external modules should be installed in
> >   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> > - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
> >   marked as deprecated for quite some time
> >   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
> >   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> > - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
> >   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
> >   everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

linux-3.1-2 fails to boot on my computer. Lots of error messages get printed to the console, one of which is:
(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 27 Oct 10:37 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am 27.10.2011 06:00, schrieb illdred:
> and some of the error messages mention something about scsi but fore scrolling past. then the system stops
doing anything.

Those are probably relevant. Details on those?

Peter Lewis | 27 Oct 13:02 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 27.10.2011 06:00, schrieb illdred:
> > and some of the error messages mention something about scsi but fore
> > scrolling past. then the system stops doing anything.

This may or may not be related, but I had to put

options scsi_mod max_luns=4

(4 was enough, perhaps a lower number is also sufficient)

in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf to get it to fully recognise a USB stick with
mass storage devices on multiple LUNs. I don't have to do this on the current
[core] package.

It's also possible that this is due to hardware instead, since I run [testing]
on one machine and not on another (the stick is new). I can investigate further
tonight.

Pete.

illdred | 27 Oct 18:21 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:37:12 +0200
Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> wrote:

> Am 27.10.2011 06:00, schrieb illdred:
> > and some of the error messages mention something about scsi but fore scrolling past. then the system
stops doing anything.

> Those are probably relevant. Details on those?

Yes. I've managed to take screen shots of all the details:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/illdred/sets/72157627863015429/

there are 5 images.

Thomas Bächler | 31 Oct 18:20 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am 27.10.2011 18:21, schrieb illdred:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:37:12 +0200
> Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 27.10.2011 06:00, schrieb illdred:
>>> and some of the error messages mention something about scsi but fore scrolling past. then the system
stops doing anything.

>> Those are probably relevant. Details on those?
>>

> Yes. I've managed to take screen shots of all the details:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/illdred/sets/72157627863015429/
>
> there are 5 images.

Sorry, I overlooked this post. These seem very useful, I'll see what I
can find out.

Thomas Bächler | 31 Oct 20:25 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

Am 27.10.2011 18:21, schrieb illdred:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:37:12 +0200
> Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Am 27.10.2011 06:00, schrieb illdred:
>>> and some of the error messages mention something about scsi but fore scrolling past. then the system
stops doing anything.

>> Those are probably relevant. Details on those?
>>

> Yes. I've managed to take screen shots of all the details:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/illdred/sets/72157627863015429/
>
> there are 5 images.

The same bug appeared at [1], but within a different context. I cannot
find more info or solutions for this now. You need to report this - as
the kernel bugzilla is down, you should try the linux kernel mailing
list and the linux raid mailing list. I can't do more from my end.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/8/75

Christian Hesse | 27 Oct 13:38 2011
Picon

open-vm-tools-modules 2011.09.23-2 (was: [signoff] linux-3.1-2)

Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.

Updated a virtual machine to linux 3.1-2 and open-vm-tools-modules
2011.09.23-2, but loading modules failed:

vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)
vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)

Schoene Gruesse
Chris

Jelle van der Waa | 27 Oct 13:57 2011
Picon

Re: open-vm-tools-modules 2011.09.23-2

On 27/10/11 13:38, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Thomas Bächler<thomas <at> archlinux.org>  on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
>> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Updated a virtual machine to linux 3.1-2 and open-vm-tools-modules
> 2011.09.23-2, but loading modules failed:
>
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)

Did you try to rebuild it against the new kernel?

Jelle van der Waa

Christian Hesse | 27 Oct 14:33 2011
Picon

Re: open-vm-tools-modules 2011.09.23-2

Jelle van der Waa <jelle <at> vdwaa.nl> on Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:57:57 +0200:
> On 27/10/11 13:38, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Thomas Bächler<thomas <at> archlinux.org>  on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
> >
> > Updated a virtual machine to linux 3.1-2 and open-vm-tools-modules
> > 2011.09.23-2, but loading modules failed:
> >
> > vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
> > vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
> > vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
> > vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
> > vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
> > vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)
> > vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
> > vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
> > vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
> > vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
> > vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
> > vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)

vsock fails to load as well.

> Did you try to rebuild it against the new kernel?

I did. Suppose something goes wrong in build process. These messages (amongst
others) flew by:

WARNING:
(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 27 Oct 14:14 2011

Am 27.10.2011 13:38, schrieb Christian Hesse:
> Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
>> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Updated a virtual machine to linux 3.1-2 and open-vm-tools-modules
> 2011.09.23-2, but loading modules failed:
>
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_Send
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_Send (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_DestroyHnd (err -22)
> vmhgfs: no symbol version for VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd
> vmhgfs: Unknown symbol VMCIDatagram_CreateHnd (err -22)

There seems to be a problem with dependencies. vmhgfs does not depend on
vmci, but it probably should. I have no clue why though.

Sergej Pupykin | 27 Oct 14:59 2011
Picon

Re: open-vm-tools-modules 2011.09.23-2 (was: [signoff] linux-3.1-2)

At Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:38:28 +0200,
Christian Hesse <list <at> eworm.de> wrote:

> Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
> > Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> > > please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Updated a virtual machine to linux 3.1-2 and open-vm-tools-modules
> 2011.09.23-2, but loading modules failed:

I'll try to rebuild it on 3.1 running kernel. Current one was built on
3.0 kernel with:

KERNEL_RELEASE=`cat /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH/version`
./configure  --with-kernel-release=$KERNEL_RELEASE

Probably it does not work as expected.

Thomas Bächler | 27 Oct 15:12 2011

Am 27.10.2011 14:59, schrieb Sergej Pupykin:
> At Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:38:28 +0200,
> Christian Hesse <list <at> eworm.de> wrote:
>>
>> Thomas Bächler <thomas <at> archlinux.org> on Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:48:34 +0200:
>>
>> Updated a virtual machine to linux 3.1-2 and open-vm-tools-modules
>> 2011.09.23-2, but loading modules failed:
>
> I'll try to rebuild it on 3.1 running kernel. Current one was built on
> 3.0 kernel with:
>
> KERNEL_RELEASE=`cat /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH/version`
> ./configure  --with-kernel-release=$KERNEL_RELEASE
>
> Probably it does not work as expected.

That should have worked.

Evangelos Foutras | 26 Oct 14:26 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On 25/10/11 21:48, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>> Hi guys,
>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>>
>> Upstream
>> changes:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>> Archlinux Changes:
>> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
>> - all external modules should be installed in
>>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
>> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>>   everything is available in /sys
>
> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
> files for those to see what needs changing.

Signoff x86_64.

Evangelos Foutras | 28 Oct 16:52 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Evangelos Foutras
<evangelos@...> wrote:
> On 25/10/11 21:48, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
>>> Hi guys,
>>> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>>>
>>> Upstream
>>> changes:
>>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>>
>>> Archlinux Changes:
>>> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
>>> - all external modules should be installed in
>>>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
>>> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>>>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>>>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
>>> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>>>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>>>   everything is available in /sys
>>
>> Another release, mostly identical, but I fixed the depmod on kernel
>> update in nvidia, lirc, fcpcmcia and fcpci. All external module package
>> maintainers in AUR/community should look at the PKGBUILD and install
>> files for those to see what needs changing.
>
> Signoff x86_64.

(Continue reading)

Peter Lewis | 28 Oct 18:39 2011

Re: [arch-dev-public] [signoff] linux-3.1-2

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> [...]

Interesting... can someone clarify what's going on with this? I was under the
impression that under the new versioning scheme some versions would only have
two numbers now, e.g.  3.0. Is this not the case any more and we will always
have a third number? Is this an Arch specific thing or an upstream thing?

(I've just been fixing some software to cope with the case when uname doesn't
return a third number... perhaps that would no longer be necessary?)

Thanks!

Pete.

Karol Blazewicz | 28 Oct 18:46 2011
Picon

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Peter Lewis <plewis <at> aur.archlinux.org> wrote:

> (I've just been fixing some software to cope with the case when uname doesn't
> return a third number... perhaps that would no longer be necessary?)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pete.

I can only show what does it look like:
Stable:
[karol <at> white ~]$ uname -r
3.0-ARCH

Testing:
[karol <at> black ~]$ uname -r
3.1.0-2-ARCH

Thomas Bächler | 28 Oct 18:52 2011

Am 28.10.2011 18:39, schrieb Peter Lewis:

> Interesting... can someone clarify what's going on with this? I was under the
> impression that under the new versioning scheme some versions would only have
> two numbers now, e.g.  3.0. Is this not the case any more and we will always
> have a third number? Is this an Arch specific thing or an upstream thing?

The 3.1.0 is upstream. Our new versioning scheme is:
 <upstream version number>-<Arch Linux pkgrel>-ARCH
I am a bit confused though, as I thought it should be '3.1', then
'3.1.1' and so on, but '3.1' is '3.1.0' instead, at least internally.

Peter Lewis | 29 Oct 00:36 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> > Interesting... can someone clarify what's going on with this? I was under the
> > impression that under the new versioning scheme some versions would only have
> > two numbers now, e.g.  3.0. Is this not the case any more and we will always
> > have a third number? Is this an Arch specific thing or an upstream thing?
>
> The 3.1.0 is upstream. Our new versioning scheme is:
>  <upstream version number>-<Arch Linux pkgrel>-ARCH

Thanks.

> I am a bit confused though, as I thought it should be '3.1', then
> '3.1.1' and so on, but '3.1' is '3.1.0' instead, at least internally.

Yeah, this confused me too. I was expecting 3.1 to be 3.1, not 3.1.0. I think
that there have been some complaints about software breaking because of it
relying on three version numbers, so perhaps they're just going to add the third
.0 after all... oh well, that's probably the easiest thing anyway.

Thanks again,

Pete.

Thomas Bächler | 25 Oct 17:18 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Am 25.10.2011 17:12, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now

I made a mistake here, regarding the 'depmod' commands in the external
module post_install/upgrade procedures. We'll need a rebuild of
everything to fix that. You shouldn't notice the problem now, but we
still need to fix it before moving to core.

Thanks to Ionut for spotting this.

Jan de Groot | 29 Oct 18:03 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

On di, 2011-10-25 at 17:12 +0200, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Hi guys,
> please signoff 3.1 series for both arches.
>
> Upstream
> changes:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>
> Archlinux Changes:
> - $(uname -r) reports now the full kernel version
> - all external modules should be installed in
>   /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH now
> - disabled the old IDE subsystem,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time
>   All users of the old ide hook in mkinitcpio
>   should make the transition to pata hook now!
> - disabled the old ACPI /proc files,
>   marked as deprecated for quite some time,
>   everything is available in /sys

-1 from me. Reasons for this:
1. The fix-i915.patch was removed, this causes my laptop to see a
connected television again, while my laptop doesn't even have an output
for that
2. Massive screen flicker when starting up X. Something has regressed
seriously in the intel driver.

I see Thomas removed the fix-i915.patch file, because it was "not
accepted upstream". The only reference I can find for this patch is that
nobody ever tested if TV-Out actually works when this patch is applied.
(Continue reading)

Tom Gundersen | 29 Oct 18:10 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@...> wrote:
> 1. The fix-i915.patch was removed, this causes my laptop to see a
> connected television again, while my laptop doesn't even have an output
> for that

Is there an upstream bug report for this? If we add the patch back it
might be worth linking to the bug report so we can follow up on this
when it gets resolved upstream.

-t

Thomas Bächler | 29 Oct 18:29 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Am 29.10.2011 18:03, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> -1 from me. Reasons for this:
> 1. The fix-i915.patch was removed, this causes my laptop to see a
> connected television again, while my laptop doesn't even have an output
> for that
> 2. Massive screen flicker when starting up X. Something has regressed
> seriously in the intel driver.
>
> I see Thomas removed the fix-i915.patch file, because it was "not
> accepted upstream". The only reference I can find for this patch is that
> nobody ever tested if TV-Out actually works when this patch is applied.
> As we haven't got any bugreports for this and nobody ever tested the
> patch with a hooked up TV, I'd say just add it back.

We do not add patches to our kernel that have not been merged upstream,
will not be merged upstream, or have not been submitted upstream. I do
not know why an exception was made in this case. This patch has been
there for 3 or 4 major kernel versions (or longer?). Where is the bug
report? The mailing list thread? The upstream commit?

I will not add this patch back unless it appears in the appropriate
subsystem tree or in the Linus tree.

Jan de Groot | 29 Oct 20:53 2011
Picon

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

On za, 2011-10-29 at 18:29 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 29.10.2011 18:03, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> > -1 from me. Reasons for this:
> > 1. The fix-i915.patch was removed, this causes my laptop to see a
> > connected television again, while my laptop doesn't even have an output
> > for that
> > 2. Massive screen flicker when starting up X. Something has regressed
> > seriously in the intel driver.
> >
> > I see Thomas removed the fix-i915.patch file, because it was "not
> > accepted upstream". The only reference I can find for this patch is that
> > nobody ever tested if TV-Out actually works when this patch is applied.
> > As we haven't got any bugreports for this and nobody ever tested the
> > patch with a hooked up TV, I'd say just add it back.
>
> We do not add patches to our kernel that have not been merged upstream,
> will not be merged upstream, or have not been submitted upstream. I do
> not know why an exception was made in this case. This patch has been
> there for 3 or 4 major kernel versions (or longer?). Where is the bug
> report? The mailing list thread? The upstream commit?
>
> I will not add this patch back unless it appears in the appropriate
> subsystem tree or in the Linus tree.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2011-April/010371.html

That's the whole discussion about this one. Seems to have been applied,
but reverted because the reasoning behind the patch was unclear. Someone
claims it's documented in some errata, but doesn't say which one.

(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 29 Oct 21:58 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Am 29.10.2011 20:53, schrieb Jan de Groot:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2011-April/010371.html
>
> That's the whole discussion about this one. Seems to have been applied,
> but reverted because the reasoning behind the patch was unclear. Someone
> claims it's documented in some errata, but doesn't say which one.

That's unfortunate.

> So far I've been able to find the bug in our tracker, with a link to the
> kernel.org bugtracker that's down:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19234

Oh yeah, the kernel.org bugzilla, still down. We could add it back I
guess, but this time with some proper references in the PKGBUILD (like
the above two links).

Thomas Bächler | 30 Oct 15:04 2011

Re: [signoff] linux-3.1-1

Am 29.10.2011 21:58, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> Am 29.10.2011 20:53, schrieb Jan de Groot:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2011-April/010371.html
>>
>> That's the whole discussion about this one. Seems to have been applied,
>> but reverted because the reasoning behind the patch was unclear. Someone
>> claims it's documented in some errata, but doesn't say which one.
>
> That's unfortunate.
>
>> So far I've been able to find the bug in our tracker, with a link to the
>> kernel.org bugtracker that's down:
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19234
>
> Oh yeah, the kernel.org bugzilla, still down. We could add it back I
> guess, but this time with some proper references in the PKGBUILD (like
> the above two links).

Forgot to say this:

Jan, can you please re-submit that patch to the appropriate mailing
lists, and explain the whole situation? IMO it is a critical error in
the upstream driver and must be taken care of upstream.

Gmane