Simon Perry | 31 Oct 09:04 2012
Picon

GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

Hi all,

After reading the previous discussion on not needing to be in various
groups like audio, optical etc, I decided to remove myself from a bunch
of groups and "do the right thing" after upgrading to GNOME 3.6 earlier.

I removed consolekit once pacman told me it was no longer required by
any package, then culled myself from various groups - the important one
being audio.

When I login via GDM, it seems my "session" isn't active:

% loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID | grep Active
Active=no

Therefore, I'm not added to ACLs for my sound devices and Pulseaudio
fires up using a "Dummy" output.

Not sure what to do here, I've done the following to try and fix it:

- Disabled / re-enabled certain services, I've had systemd running for a
  while and a few things had changed / been updated (e.g. I now have a
  default.target and the display-manager.service whose symlink lives in
  /etc/systemd/system)

- Tried messing around with pam (putting pam_systemd.so in a couple of
  spots).

- Tried searching for documentation on what might be wrong, but most of
  the things I found relate to not using a display manager like GDM and
(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 31 Oct 10:00 2012

Re: GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

Am 31.10.2012 09:04, schrieb Simon Perry:
> - Disabled / re-enabled certain services, I've had systemd running for a
>   while and a few things had changed / been updated (e.g. I now have a
>   default.target and the display-manager.service whose symlink lives in
>   /etc/systemd/system)

Shouldn't affect anything.

> - Tried messing around with pam (putting pam_systemd.so in a couple of
>   spots).

Make sure you use the default PAM files for everything (especially GNOME).

> - Tried searching for documentation on what might be wrong, but most of
>   the things I found relate to not using a display manager like GDM and
>   just using startx.

Your report confuses me. I am no GNOME user, but I know GDM should be
the first login manager to be tested with logind.

Simon Perry | 31 Oct 10:03 2012
Picon

On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:

| Make sure you use the default PAM files for everything (especially GNOME).

Yes, they're all default (made sure after screwing around with them).

| Your report confuses me. I am no GNOME user, but I know GDM should be
| the first login manager to be tested with logind.

Not sure how to respond to this, alas I'm having this issue.

Simon Perry (aka Pezz)

Thomas Bächler | 31 Oct 15:16 2012

Am 31.10.2012 10:03, schrieb Simon Perry:
> | Your report confuses me. I am no GNOME user, but I know GDM should be
> | the first login manager to be tested with logind.
>
> Not sure how to respond to this, alas I'm having this issue.

I just needed to express my confusion over the issue. I cannot think of
a reason why you have this problem.

Maybe there's some hint in the details of loginctl show-session, or the
logs have some info.

Simon Perry | 31 Oct 18:29 2012
Picon

Re: GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:

| I just needed to express my confusion over the issue. I cannot think of
| a reason why you have this problem.
|
| Maybe there's some hint in the details of loginctl show-session, or the
| logs have some info.

I fixed a couple of boot errors from looking at the journal, but not this.

loginctl show-session:

ControlGroupHierarchy=/user
ResetControllers=cpu
NAutoVTs=6
KillExcludeUsers=root
KillUserProcesses=no
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=1351703575131288
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=11069402493
BlockInhibited=handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key
DelayInhibited=sleep
InhibitDelayMaxUSec=5s
HandlePowerKey=poweroff
HandleSuspendKey=suspend
HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
HandleLidSwitch=suspend
PreparingForShutdown=no
PreparingForSleep=no

(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 31 Oct 20:11 2012

Am 31.10.2012 18:29, schrieb Simon Perry:
> On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
> | I just needed to express my confusion over the issue. I cannot think of
> | a reason why you have this problem.
> |
> | Maybe there's some hint in the details of loginctl show-session, or the
> | logs have some info.
>
> I fixed a couple of boot errors from looking at the journal, but not this.
>
> loginctl show-session:

I meant
 loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID

alex | 31 Oct 20:17 2012
Picon

On 10/31/2012 03:11 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 31.10.2012 18:29, schrieb Simon Perry:
>> On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>
>> | I just needed to express my confusion over the issue. I cannot think of
>> | a reason why you have this problem.
>> |
>> | Maybe there's some hint in the details of loginctl show-session, or the
>> | logs have some info.
>>
>> I fixed a couple of boot errors from looking at the journal, but not this.
>>
>> loginctl show-session:
> I meant
>   loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID

Simon Perry | 31 Oct 22:01 2012
Picon

Re: GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:

| I meant
|  loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID

Id=2
Timestamp=Thu, 2012-11-01 07:34:31 EST
TimestampMonotonic=42685753
DefaultControlGroup=name=systemd:/user/pezz/2
VTNr=0
Display=:0
Remote=no
Service=gdm-password
Leader=3017
Audit=2
Type=x11
Class=user
Active=no
State=online
KillProcesses=no
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=0
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
Name=pezz

Also, to Jan, no - I run the stock Arch kernel, not hardened / SELinux /
GR sec etc.

As an aside, I also have to give my root password to reboot / shutdown
from the power off menu.
(Continue reading)

Thomas Bächler | 31 Oct 22:13 2012

Am 31.10.2012 22:01, schrieb Simon Perry:
> On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>
> | I meant
> |  loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID
>
> Id=2
> Timestamp=Thu, 2012-11-01 07:34:31 EST
> TimestampMonotonic=42685753
> DefaultControlGroup=name=systemd:/user/pezz/2
> VTNr=0

VTNr=0 seems wrong.

Simon Perry | 31 Oct 23:16 2012
Picon

Re: GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:

| VTNr=0 seems wrong.

Ok, thanks for that. I'm at work now, and on my laptop here VTNr=1 and
Active=yes so it's all good on this machine.

That gives me something chase when I get home tonight.

Cheers.

Simon Perry (aka Pezz)

Simon Perry | 1 Nov 06:03 2012
Picon

On 01/11/12, Simon Perry wrote:

| On 31/10/12, Thomas Bächler wrote:
|
| | VTNr=0 seems wrong.
|
| Ok, thanks for that. I'm at work now, and on my laptop here VTNr=1 and
| Active=yes so it's all good on this machine.

Solved - I noticed that getty <at> tty1.service has:

After=rc-local.service

I disabled rc-local.service, rebooted and it worked.

So I modified my rc-local.service file to include a Before statement:

[Unit]
Description=/etc/rc.local Compatibility
Before=display-manager.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/etc/rc.local
TimeoutSec=0
StandardInput=tty
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
(Continue reading)

Thomas Wouters | 31 Oct 15:27 2012
Picon

Re: GNOME 3.6 upgrade / GDM / Removed consolekit

> | Make sure you use the default PAM files for everything (especially
> | GNOME).
>
> Yes, they're all default (made sure after screwing around with them).
>
> | Your report confuses me. I am no GNOME user, but I know GDM should
> | be
> | the first login manager to be tested with logind.
>
> Not sure how to respond to this, alas I'm having this issue.

Do you happen to be using plymouth?
If so, try to disable plymouth-gdm.service and enable gdm.service. (assuming you use GDM)
I've had a similar issue today and this seemed to have fixed my problems.

> --
> Simon Perry (aka Pezz)

(Continue reading)

Simon Perry | 31 Oct 18:24 2012
Picon

On 31/10/12, Thomas Wouters wrote:

| Do you happen to be using plymouth?
| If so, try to disable plymouth-gdm.service and enable gdm.service. (assuming you use GDM)
| I've had a similar issue today and this seemed to have fixed my problems.

Never used Plymouth.

Simon Perry (aka Pezz)

Jan Steffens | 31 Oct 15:14 2012
Picon