Giorgio - Audiophilo | 5 Dec 13:45 2011
Picon

[LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Hi everybody,

i'd like to share my happiness with you all for the release of the fully free software made album Garage Orchestra! - The decision of Don Rodrigo.
It has been released by Futurebeat Ltd.
It has been a very hard and long work since i've made the entire production, from the arrangements to the final master. The result is a mix of atlernative rock, pop and electronic.
I hope you appreciate the effort.
Cheers

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

thijs van severen | 5 Dec 13:52 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

wow !

now THIS is something that will definitely impress all my non-linux-using-music-making-friends with !
respect

Thijs

i'd like to share my happiness with you all for the release of the fully free software made album Garage Orchestra! - The decision of Don Rodrigo.
It has been released by Futurebeat Ltd.
It has been a very hard and long work since i've made the entire production, from the arrangements to the final master. The result is a mix of atlernative rock, pop and electronic.
I hope you appreciate the effort.
Cheers

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog !

Florian Paul Schmidt | 5 Dec 14:01 2011

On 12/05/2011 01:45 PM, Giorgio - Audiophilo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> i'd like to share my happiness with you all for the release of the
> fully free software made album Garage Orchestra! - The decision of Don
> Rodrigo.
> It has been released by Futurebeat Ltd.
> It has been a very hard and long work since i've made the entire
> production, from the arrangements to the final master. The result is a
> mix of atlernative rock, pop and electronic.
> I hope you appreciate the effort.
> Cheers
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjixbQf4fQ

Very cool, care to let us in on what software you guys used?

Flo
thijs van severen | 5 Dec 14:06 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

and available on spotify :-)

i'd like to share my happiness with you all for the release of the fully free software made album Garage Orchestra! - The decision of Don Rodrigo.
It has been released by Futurebeat Ltd.
It has been a very hard and long work since i've made the entire production, from the arrangements to the final master. The result is a mix of atlernative rock, pop and electronic.
I hope you appreciate the effort.
Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjixbQf4fQ

Very cool, care to let us in on what software you guys used?

Flo

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog !

Giorgio - Audiophilo | 5 Dec 14:48 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Thanks everybody for the appreciation!

Very cool, care to let us in on what software you guys used?
Flo

I mostly used Ardour (branch 2), ladspa and LV2 plugins. I wrote the midi parts on Muse and used soft and hard synths. I've made a very accurated editing on every instrument and made some drum replacing with a modified version of ladspa-trigger.
Also some voice tuning was made with Fons Adriansen's Jretune.

and available on spotify :-)

Yes!!!

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

Atte André Jensen | 7 Dec 08:23 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

On 12/05/2011 01:45 PM, Giorgio - Audiophilo wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjixbQf4fQ

Sounds real good!

Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk
Giorgio - Audiophilo | 7 Dec 11:24 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Sounds real good!

Thank you so much! :)

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

James Warden | 7 Dec 21:54 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Hi,

I would like to report what seems to be a strong case of censorship from either the youtube user who posted the video or maybe google-youtube itself.
I posted a comment today expressing my opinion. It was a very negative one, as strong as an opinion like the one in the message quoted below (sorry, I am top-posting here).

My comment was:

"your music sucks real bad. You have the technical means to produce something, so why don't you use them to create good music ?"

Yes, it is harsh but perfectly valid. As valid as "your music is fucking good! Why don't you go on and make some more ?"

The spectrum of opinions is vast and does not have to be biased toward one end only. Why has my comment disappeared ? And most of all, why can't I log in any longer on youtube-google under my usual nickname ? This looks hardly like a technical error but a deliberate attempt at muting voices going against the consensus.
I find the music of this band totally tasteless, regardless of the production quality. If you post the fruit of your efforts on a public space, it is because you want to expose it to the opinion of many people. You should therefore expect some opinions like mine as much as those of fans of your stuff.

Please tell me this is a misunderstanding. If not, then it is confirmed: the internet is already dead.

Regards,
J.

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 12:54:22PM -0800, James Warden wrote:

> My comment was:
>
> "your music sucks real bad. You have the technical means to produce
> something, so why don't you use them to create good music ?"
>
> Yes, it is harsh but perfectly valid. As valid as "your music is
> fucking good! Why don't you go on and make some more ?"

I agree that is valid, but it's also quite harsh. Who are you
referring to by the 'your' in 'your music sucks real bad' ?

Giorgio is running a commercial studio. It is supposed to
provide his income (and maybe some money to be returned to
investors). It's not his music. He's done the engineering
and has, IMHO, done a good job. Even if the music is crap,
and I agree it is, he can be proud of what he has done.

> The spectrum of opinions is vast and does not have to be biased
> toward one end only.

I agree. Youtube is not anyone's private marketing channel.
If someone can't stand criticism he/she  should just keep out.

> Why has my comment disappeared ? And most
> of all, why can't I log in any longer on youtube-google under my
> usual nickname ? This looks hardly like a technical error but a
> deliberate attempt at muting voices going against the consensus.

If that turns out to be true (and it wouldn'd surprise me) that
does confirm what has been obvious for a long time: the so-called
'social' media are dominated by US 'social' standards. Just read
the User Agreements of Google, Facebook, Twitter or whatever. And
US standards mean that you may be free, but you have to 'conform'.

> I find the music of this band totally tasteless, regardless of
> the production quality. If you post the fruit of your efforts
> on a public space, it is because you want to expose it to the
> opinion of many people. You should therefore expect some opinions
> like mine as much as those of fans of your stuff.

I agree 100%, but I'm well aware that many won't.

Ciao,

FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.
Atte André Jensen | 8 Dec 10:09 2011

On 12/07/2011 11:25 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Even if the music is crap,
> and I agree it is, he can be proud of what he has done.

Wow. This list dislikes pop!

I'll think hard before posting any music I make here again!

EDIT: I thought this list was about music/linux. Posting things here
made with linux is a good thing. I think it really good the production
quality and number of genres represented have gone up. We're a really
small community, why bash others effords? No-one is trying to make
"crap", but we're not into the same kinds of music. If I hear something
here I don't like, I just don't comment, why should I discourage others
unless I have something constructive to offer?

Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk
James Warden | 8 Dec 10:43 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

On 12/07/2011 11:25 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Even if the music is crap,
> and I agree it is, he can be proud of what he has done.

Wow. This list dislikes pop!

I'll think hard before posting any music I make here again!

EDIT: I thought this list was about music/linux. Posting things here made with linux is a good thing. I think it really good the production quality and number of genres represented have gone up. We're a really small community, why bash others effords? No-one is trying to make "crap", but we're not into the same kinds of music. If I hear something here I don't like, I just don't comment, why should I discourage others unless I have something constructive to offer?
--------------------------

Hi,

You are missing the point: I was reporting what seems to be a brutal censorship from  either YOUTUBE or the OP against a comment made on _youtube_ expressing my subjective opinion (sic) about the said music. The person who posted the youtube link of the band's video happened to have had done it on this list. My rant has nothing to do with linux-audio or bashing any "linux-audio effort". When I take the time to listen and watch that stuff on youtube, I don't give a crap that it was made on linux, for I know perfectly well that one can do wonders with linux as well as any other OSes, I don't need to be sold the concept but that's off-topic.

This list was my only channel to express my utter surprise and reach the OP, in the hope that some explanations might be given. I also wanted to share this rather troubling occurrence with the community, that it would seem one cannot express a negative opinion any longer and is punished for this without any notice or form of warning (I was unable to log in on youtube after that!). So please, do not confuse matters.

For the sake of the conversation, I have nothing against pop and happen to like some of the old-school pop music. But who cares really ? Do not generalize to the entire list and to all pop-music, it is irrelevant. And most of all, I see no reason why you should hesitate before posting your music.  you post it because you want people to listen to it and of course, some will love it, some will be indifferent, and unavoidably some will puke on it. Come on, what is wrong with having a wide spectrum of tastes and opinions ? Why should we shy away from saying "this is crap" ? it is as valid as saying "this is orgasmic", god damnit!

But anyway,  I am still expecting some explanations from the OP. If none is given, then I'll be confirmed in my suspicions.

Regards,
J.
Fons Adriaensen | 8 Dec 13:09 2011

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 10:09:40AM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 11:25 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> Even if the music is crap,
>> and I agree it is, he can be proud of what he has done.
>
> Wow. This list dislikes pop!

This list does not dislike pop, and nor do I. The only thing
you can conclude from what I wrote above is that I do not
like that particular band and its music.

For me any appreciation of (A) the audio engineering and production
skills is completely unrelated to the appreciation of (B) the music
itself. All combinations are possible.

In this case I very much appreciated (A) but not (B).

> EDIT: I thought this list was about music/linux. Posting things here
> made with linux is a good thing. I think it really good the production
> quality and number of genres represented have gone up. We're a really
> small community, why bash others effords? No-one is trying to make
> "crap", but we're not into the same kinds of music. If I hear something
> here I don't like, I just don't comment, why should I discourage others
> unless I have something constructive to offer?

I will advocate Linux Audio for music production wherever I can.
That is not the same as claiming that any music produced with Linux
must automatically be great. Doing that would just undermine the
credibility of any pro-Linux advocacy.

The OP just stated his negative feelings about the music and ignored
the other aspects. I found that a bit unfair, which is why I replied.
OTOH, he has as much right to state his opinion as any other, and if
indeed it has been censored on YT that is a sign that some things
are going very wrong indeed.

Ciao,

FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.
Dave Phillips | 8 Dec 13:12 2011

On 12/08/2011 04:09 AM, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 11:25 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> Even if the music is crap,
>> and I agree it is, he can be proud of what he has done.
>
> Wow. This list dislikes pop!
>
> I'll think hard before posting any music I make here again!

"De gustibus..." and all that.

I like a lot of what I hear from this list. I don't always find time to
make comments, and when I do I prefer to encourage. What I don't like I
don't feel compelled to publicly diss, though of course "to each his
own". After 60 years on this planet I've determined that - for my part,
at least - a little civility goes a long way. That said, the Internet is
not my sitting room, and if someone wants to harsh someone else's
efforts, well, that's how it is here. It's an open place.

"Take what's coming to you and get out" - Wisdom from the Blue Cliff Record.

> EDIT: I thought this list was about music/linux. Posting things here
> made with linux is a good thing. I think it really good the production
> quality and number of genres represented have gone up. We're a really
> small community, why bash others effords? No-one is trying to make
> "crap", but we're not into the same kinds of music. If I hear
> something here I don't like, I just don't comment, why should I
> discourage others unless I have something constructive to offer?

Since I'm in quotation mode: "The critic is good when he praises, bad
when he blames", or so said Ezra Pound. As a teacher I find that the
only useful criticism is constructive criticism. However, "constructive"
can be modulated per student, and some of them can take considerably
warmer critique than others, but if I intend any of them to improve then
I have to consider their individual sensitivities.

Atte, I hope you'll continue to post your fine works here. Personally,
I'm done with "pop" and "classical" and "serious" and all the rest of
the labels that do nothing to advance my understanding of what it is I'm
hearing. I have no idea what to call your music, but I can tell you that
it moves me and I like it. Every work has a spirit, and I get a lot more
enjoyment when I get into the spirit of the thing (as opposed to
harshing it for not being what I want it to be).

re: Giorgio's original post : IMO, the only thing that sucks about the
video is that it was made on a Mac. ;)

Ramblingly,

dp
Giorgio - Audiophilo | 8 Dec 13:22 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Hi,
sorry for my late answer but since i'm not the op of that youtube channel i had to get in touch with the guy and ask.
He doesn't know anything about it because the comment simply didn't appear. So it appers to be a tech mistake or a google-youtube censorship at least.

And most of all, why can't I log in any longer on youtube-google under my usual nickname ?

As far as i know a google-youtube user doesn't have this kind of power so i think you should ask google-youtube team.

If you post the fruit of your efforts on a public space, it is because you want to expose it to the opinion of many people. You should therefore expect some opinions like mine as much as those of fans of your stuff.

I perfectly agree with that, it's what makes posting stuff something good IMHO

This list was my only channel to express my utter surprise and reach the OP, in the hope that some explanations might be given.

You are wrong. You could reach the op (or people related to him) in many ways since there are a couple of links on the youtube channel (Facebook, Myspace) which are public and don't need any account registration or you could write me your concernings privately so i could contact the op and see if there have been any case of censorship.
From what you have written it appers that you think it's a censorship case from the op or google-yotube team

This looks hardly like a technical error

but IMHO sentences like

deliberate attempt at muting voices going against the consensus

look a bit too strong for someone that doesn't know the facts yet.

I don't give a crap that it was made on linux, for I know perfectly well that one can do wonders with linux as well as any other OSes, I don't need to be sold the concept but that's off-topic.

Yes and also this "censorship case" should be since LAU appears to be a Linux Audio related list.

I've posted this video because i think that music made with FLOSS can be of interest for this list and if, not considering the quality of the music, a product is technically good can help free software reputation to spread.
Honestly i expected something (good or bad) more on the tech side that "your music sucks real bad".
I hope this can help in closing the "censorship case".
Cheers

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

thijs van severen | 8 Dec 23:07 2011
[...]

From what you have written it appers that you think it's a censorship case from the op or google-yotube team

This looks hardly like a technical error

but IMHO sentences like

deliberate attempt at muting voices going against the consensus

look a bit too strong for someone that doesn't know the facts yet.

I don't give a crap that it was made on linux, for I know perfectly well that one can do wonders with linux as well as any other OSes, I don't need to be sold the concept but that's off-topic.

Yes and also this "censorship case" should be since LAU appears to be a Linux Audio related list.

I've posted this video because i think that music made with FLOSS can be of interest for this list and if, not considering the quality of the music, a product is technically good can help free software reputation to spread.
Honestly i expected something (good or bad) more on the tech side that "your music sucks real bad".

tech question : can you tell us a bit more about your workflow?
and also the pitfalls you encounter when using linux apps (like this app is great, but when you do this/that it crashes or does weird stuff or starts to 'suck real bad'
(couldn't help myself  ;-)

I hope this can help in closing the "censorship case".
Cheers

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog !

Giorgio - Audiophilo | 9 Dec 03:26 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

tech question : can you tell us a bit more about your workflow?

First of all i'd like to start from a consideration: there's a big work to do before recording, even before placing microphones. You must have a clear view of the final result before starting with any operation IMHO.
For this work i started listening to the demos and picturing in my mind the sound of this band, then i talked to the guys, change some song structure and arrangements.
After this:

Recording
Drums: As you can hear from the song the drums sound a bit electronic. To obtain this result i placed few microphones (bass drum, snare, hi-hat, tom 1, tom 2, floor tom, two overheads A/B figure), this because i knew that i would have replaced the snare and the kick sound later so i didn't need great accuracy on those percussions.

Bass: From the bass to the mixer and then sound card. Nothing special.

Guitars: From the guitars to the mixer and then sound card. This is not a very common workflow, i'll explain later.

Synths: I wrote the parts on Muse and used some soft synth and also used some external hard synth.

Voice: We made a very hard work on the voice since we put many parts together to obtain a certain harmony. Then the singer recorded with a condenser microphone an at 4040 if i recall well

Editing
Since i wanted to obtain an overall electronic sound i wanted the instruments to play very "together" and tight so i did some surgical editing on the tracks with Ardour 2.8.11. I encountered some problem because it's well known that Ardour gets slow (and sometimes crashes) when working with many many regions. To avoid this i reduced the hystory to 10 steps, i often consolidated regions and do some "cleanup unused regions" as well. I also did some voice tuning with Fons Adriansen's Jretune.
Once everything was perfectly tight with the grid i started reamping the bass and the guitars.

Reamp
Once i had the "perfect" guitars and bass takes, i sent the signals out from my sound card to a reamp box (i use this one http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm) and then to some amps. I recorded them in order to have the bass amp sound summed to the direct one and to have "bigger" guitars obtained with different amp sounds mixed together.

Drums Replacing
I did some drums replacing on the bass drum and the snare using ladspa-trigger.

Synths
Once the midi parts were well defined i sent them to soft (Yoshimi, Nekobee, amsynth for example) and hard synths (i had this Yamaha digital piano a Korg 01WFD and a Roland jp 8000) and recorded them into the Ardour session.

Mix
I mixed all the tracks together using many ladspa and lv2 plugins like Invada, Calf and others.

Mastering
I exported groups of tracks from the mixing sessions and imported them into a new one, then i used some soft eq and external compressor.

and also the pitfalls you encounter when using linux apps (like this app is great, but when you do this/that it crashes or does weird stuff or starts to 'suck real bad'

Except for the Ardour issue explained above i didn't encounter many weird things.
Hope this can be exaustive enough.
Cheers

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

thijs van severen | 9 Dec 08:34 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

thanks for sharing !

on your site i saw that you are using ubuntu studio.
did you have to tweak it or is it ubuntu studio OOTB ?

[...]

Hartmut Noack | 9 Dec 10:11 2011

Am 09.12.2011 03:26, schrieb Giorgio - Audiophilo:

>> tech question : can you tell us a bit more about your workflow?

First of all: Thanks a lot for your story!

> First of all i'd like to start from a consideration: there's a big work to
> do before recording, even before placing microphones. You must have a clear
> view of the final result before starting with any operation IMHO.
> For this work i started listening to the demos and picturing in my mind the
> sound of this band, then i talked to the guys, change some song structure
> and arrangements.
> After this:

> because it's well known that Ardour gets slow (and sometimes crashes) when
> working with many many regions.

With aprox. how many regions do you encounter such troubles? I only feel
Ardour slow down a bit if I use considerable more than 40 Tracks and
lots of plug-ins. And I do not get crashes that I could relate to the
fact how big a project is.

I do not work with multiple play-lists per track though...

> Reamp
> Once i had the "perfect" guitars and bass takes, i sent the signals out
> from my sound card to a reamp box (i use this one
> http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm) and then to some amps. I recorded
> them in order to have the bass amp sound summed to the direct one and to
> have "bigger" guitars obtained with different amp sounds mixed together.

Sweet :-) Did you also try reamping with Guitarix and/or Rackarrakk?

> Drums Replacing
> I did some drums replacing on the bass drum and the snare using
> ladspa-trigger.
>
> Synths
> Once the midi parts were well defined i sent them to soft (Yoshimi,
> Nekobee, amsynth for example) and hard synths (i had this Yamaha digital
> piano a Korg 01WFD and a Roland jp 8000) and recorded them into the Ardour
> session.
>
> Mix
> I mixed all the tracks together using many ladspa and lv2 plugins like
> Invada, Calf and others.
>
> Mastering
> I exported groups of tracks from the mixing sessions and imported them into
> a new one, then i used some soft eq and external compressor.
>
> and also the pitfalls you encounter when using linux apps (like this app is
>> great, but when you do this/that it crashes or does weird stuff or starts
>> to 'suck real bad'
>

> Except for the Ardour issue explained above i didn't encounter many weird
> things.
> Hope this can be exaustive enough.

Thanks again! Such infos are most valuable.

best regards

HZN

> Cheers

Giorgio - Audiophilo | 9 Dec 13:23 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

on your site i saw that you are using ubuntu studio.
did you have to tweak it or is it ubuntu studio OOTB

T.Rex studio is made of two people, me and Alessandro. He runs Ubuntustudio but it has been tweaked with compiled software and some PPA was added. I run Ubuntu 10.04, also my machine was tweaked with compiled software and PPAs.

With aprox. how many regions do you encounter such troubles? I only feel Ardour slow down a bit if I use considerable more than 40 Tracks and lots of plug-ins. And I do not get crashes that I could relate to the fact how big a project is.

I do not work with multiple play-lists per track though...

Uhm i've never counted them. Next time i'll pay attention to the number so i can be more specific. Anyway i thin 200/300 about. Sorry for the inaccurate answer.

Sweet :-) Did you also try reamping with Guitarix and/or Rackarrakk?

Not in this album. But i often do it mostly with Rackarrakk. Sometimes i even mix Rackarrakk with real amps. If you listen to the song you can hear a distorted voice together with other voices, that was made with Guitarix.

Thanks again! Such infos are most valuable.

For me it's a big pleasure to share my experience with you all.
Cheers

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer

T.Rex Studio

Robert Vogel | 12 Dec 04:29 2011
Picon

[LAU] gmorgan_0.55

For gnu/linux users only, gmorgan has been updated
to version 0.55.

Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Bob
Robert Vogel | 12 Dec 04:39 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] gmorgan_0.55

...It's on sourceforge.

On Sun, 2011-12-11 at 22:29 -0500, Robert Vogel wrote:

> For gnu/linux users only, gmorgan has been updated
> to version 0.55.
>
> Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.
>

> Bob

Brendan Jones | 10 Dec 18:52 2011

On 12/07/2011 09:54 PM, James Warden wrote:

> "your music sucks real bad. You have the technical means to produce
> something, so why don't you use them to create good music ?"

I think that's rude. Pull your head in. Nothing wrong with constructive
criticism, but what do expect in return from a statement like that?
thijs van severen | 10 Dec 21:20 2011

2011/12/10 Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
On 12/07/2011 09:54 PM, James Warden wrote:

"your music sucks real bad. You have the technical means to produce
something, so why don't you use them to create good music ?"

I think that's rude. Pull your head in. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but what do expect in return from a statement like that?

+1

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog !

"Bearcat M. Şandor" | 10 Dec 21:56 2011

On 12/10/2011 10:52 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 09:54 PM, James Warden wrote:
>
>> "your music sucks real bad. You have the technical means to produce
>> something, so why don't you use them to create good music ?"
>>

> I think that's rude. Pull your head in. Nothing wrong with constructive
> criticism, but what do expect in return from a statement like that?
I think they expect attention and the release of some emotion that they
would not express in person. If they've had a rough day, why not go be
nasty on the 'net.

It's deplorable to me how nasty people can be just because they are
anonymous on the Internet. Not just on YouTube, but everywhere, even on
freenode help channels (particularly web coding channels for some
reason), discouragement, insults and flaying are common.  I try to
communicate with people on the 'net as though i were actually looking
them in the eyes.

Sadly, maybe these people are as well.

Then again, i in my 20's before the Internet really took off.

Bearcat M. Şandor
Cell: 406.210.3500
Jabber/xmpp/gtalk/email: bearcat <at> feline-soul.net
MSN: bearcatsandor <at> hotmail.com
Yahoo: bearcatsandor
AIM: bearcatmsandor

Fons Adriaensen | 10 Dec 22:18 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 01:56:15PM -0700, "Bearcat M. Şandor" wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 10:52 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>> On 12/07/2011 09:54 PM, James Warden wrote:
>>
>>> "your music sucks real bad. You have the technical means to produce
>>> something, so why don't you use them to create good music ?"
>>>

>> I think that's rude. Pull your head in. Nothing wrong with constructive
>> criticism, but what do expect in return from a statement like that?
> I think they expect attention and the release of some emotion that they
> would not express in person. If they've had a rough day, why not go be
> nasty on the 'net.
>
> It's deplorable to me how nasty people can be just because they are
> anonymous on the Internet. Not just on YouTube, but everywhere, even on
> freenode help channels (particularly web coding channels for some
> reason), discouragement, insults and flaying are common.  I try to
> communicate with people on the 'net as though i were actually looking
> them in the eyes.

1. The comment by James Warden was *not* anonymous.

2. The original post (with the video link) was made to
   show something 'made with Linux', not to advertise
   the music itself. Given that, James Warden's comment
   is exactly as much missing the point as one just saying
   'great music', and also exactly as valid.

3. To answer the question 'You have the technical means to
   produce something, so why don't you use them to create
   good music ?' : because T-REX is a commercial studio
   and Giorgio is a professional audio engineer. Which
   means you produce what your customers pay for.

Ciao,

FA

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.

Jostein Chr. Andersen | 8 Dec 22:51 2011

On Monday 05 December 2011 13.45.38 Giorgio - Audiophilo wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> i'd like to share my happiness with you all for the release of the
> fully free software made album Garage Orchestra! - The decision of Don
> Rodrigo. It has been released by Futurebeat Ltd.
> It has been a very hard and long work since i've made the entire
> production, from the arrangements to the final master. The result is a
> mix of atlernative rock, pop and electronic.
> I hope you appreciate the effort.
> Cheers
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjixbQf4fQ

Hey, I like it all! The music, the production and the recording/mixing.

It's always nice to hear professional graded work, and when it's done in
Linux, it makes me really happy.

Nice, well done!

Jostein
Robert Jonsson | 10 Dec 18:06 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Hi Giorgio,

2011/12/5 Giorgio - Audiophilo <anomalsound@...>:
> Hi everybody,
> i'd like to share my happiness with you all for the release of the fully
> free software made album Garage Orchestra! - The decision of Don Rodrigo.
> It has been released by Futurebeat Ltd.
> It has been a very hard and long work since i've made the entire production,
> from the arrangements to the final master. The result is a mix of
> atlernative rock, pop and electronic.
> I hope you appreciate the effort.
> Cheers
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjixbQf4fQ

Cool and punky! Liked it a lot! That grungy guitar sound is pretty
much as good as it gets in my opinion.
*click* playlist stored in spotify

Regards,
Robert
Giorgio - Audiophilo | 10 Dec 18:53 2011
Picon

Re: [LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Thank you so much Robert :)

--
Giorgio Baù
Sound engineer