Josh Stump | 13 Jan 18:03 2012

Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

I have a Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU.  From experience I know that with the stock BIOS if I put in 4Gb of RAM I can only utilze 3Gb even with a 64bit OS installed.  Is this a limitation of the stock BIOS that coreboot can overcome or is this simply a chipset limitation and even if I got coreboot flashed I still would only have use of 4Gb of RAM.  Does anyone know for certain?  If it will allow full usage of the 4Gb of RAM then I think it would be worth figuring out what parts I might need to flash my rom over.  Thank you.

Josh Stump

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org
ron minnich | 17 Jan 22:20 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

It's almost certainly impossible to get coreboot going on your T60.

ron

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org

Peter Stuge | 17 Jan 22:51 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

Josh Stump wrote:
> I have a Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU.  From experience I know that with the
> stock BIOS if I put in 4Gb of RAM I can only utilze 3Gb even with a 64bit
> OS installed.  Is this a limitation of the stock BIOS that coreboot can
> overcome or is this simply a chipset limitation and even if I got coreboot
> flashed I still would only have use of 4Gb of RAM.  Does anyone know for
> certain?

It is a limitation of the factory BIOS. For comparison, on an X60
with 4GB of RAM with coreboot there is immediately 3.2GB available
for OS use.

This is with the standard resource allocator in coreboot, ie. without
any intense optimizations. If you work on optimizing this, you may
get even more usable RAM.

The technical limit is that many of the hardware parts in the system
require that they be memory mapped into the CPU bus, and that is only
32 bits, so some of the 4GB of RAM will be "covered" by these
hardware memory regions, but with coreboot you have an opportunity to
work on reducing this to the bare minimum.

> what parts I might need to flash my rom over.

You need the flashrom source, a small patch, and my bucts utility
from http://git.stuge.se/?p=bucts.git

Patch flashrom to use RES1 SPI identification and spi_chip_write1 for
your flash chip, as well as change the flash chip model id to fit the
RES1 command.

then run flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick -r factory.bin
# this step is IMPORTANT since the factory BIOS in your machine is
# tied to your particular system board "planar in IBM FRU terms" with
# a unique ID not present in factory BIOS updates

then build coreboot.rom
# note that you must include the correct VGA BIOS for your machine in
# order to have any graphics working when you use coreboot

then run dd if=coreboot.rom of=top64k.bin bs=1 \
 skip=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x10000] count=64k

then run dd if=top64k of=coreboot.rom bs=1 \
 seek=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x20000] count=64k conv=notrunc

then run bucts 1

then run flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick -w coreboot.rom
# this will be slow, and shall generate an erase error at e.g. 0x1f0000
# when working with a 2 Mbyte flash chip.

then power cycle, now starting with coreboot

then undo the flashrom patch, so that you have a stock flashrom

then run bucts 0

then run flashrom -p internal:laptop=force_I_want_a_brick -w coreboot.rom
# his will successfully overwrite the entire flash chip, including
# the last 64k that were write protected with the factory BIOS.

Many thanks to Sven for figuring out this procedure! It has been
successfully performed on at least two X60 machines with factory
BIOS.

ron minnich wrote:
> It's almost certainly impossible to get coreboot going on your T60.

I believe Sven's port is working!

//Peter

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org

Peter Stuge | 18 Jan 00:14 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

Peter Stuge wrote:
> then run dd if=coreboot.rom of=top64k.bin bs=1 \
>  skip=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x10000] count=64k

Insert one step here:

then run dd if=coreboot.rom bs=1 \
 skip=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x10000] count=64k | hexdump
# and verify that the complete range is filled with ff bytes before
# proceeding further. if this is not the case, the coreboot image
# needs to be recreated with the second-to-last 64kbyte block unused

> then run dd if=top64k of=coreboot.rom bs=1 \
>  seek=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x20000] count=64k conv=notrunc

That should of course read:

then run dd if=top64k.bin of=coreboot.rom bs=1 \
 seek=$[sizeof(coreboot.rom) - 0x20000] count=64k conv=notrunc

//Peter

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org

ron minnich | 18 Jan 00:25 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Peter Stuge <peter <at> stuge.se> wrote:

> ron minnich wrote:
>> It's almost certainly impossible to get coreboot going on your T60.
> I believe Sven's port is working!

on x60, good news. But T60?

ron

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org

Peter Stuge | 18 Jan 01:22 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

ron minnich wrote:
> >> It's almost certainly impossible to get coreboot going on your T60.
> > I believe Sven's port is working!
> on x60, good news. But T60?

Yes, also. Sven is using it on his machine already. It needed some
more work besides the X60, but it works for him.

//Peter

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org

ron minnich | 18 Jan 01:37 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Peter Stuge <peter <at> stuge.se> wrote:

> Yes, also. Sven is using it on his machine already. It needed some
> more work besides the X60, but it works for him.

I am in awe of these accomplishments! Geez, I go away for just a
little while and these great things happen :-)

ron

coreboot mailing list: coreboot <at> coreboot.org

Peter Stuge | 18 Jan 01:47 2012

Re: Lenovo T60 Type 8743-GZU - RAM Support? 3Gb or 4Gb

ron minnich wrote:
> > Yes, also. Sven is using it on his machine already. It needed some
> > more work besides the X60, but it works for him.
> I am in awe of these accomplishments! Geez, I go away for just a
> little while and these great things happen :-)

Sven is doing a great job with the ThinkPad ports! All credit to him.

During the weekend I believe the first person outside the project
flashed coreboot onto his X60, using the procedure I described in
the previous email. One or three issues were quickly discovered,
where the more annoying one, current coreboot git code not resuming
properly, should actually already have been known by me. I'm
researching this now, we need to fix it.

I tried a quick fix which turned out to be a bit too ambitious and
which bricked his machine, so I then spent the rest of the weekend on
soldering an external programming header into his laptop and getting
an SPI flasher set up. Meanwhile I lent him my machine so that he
wouldn't be too badly affected. I hope he'll join at least on IRC
now and then, and give some feedback from the user perspective.

He was very very pleased to be able to free his firmware! :)

//Peter