David Hrbáč | 1 Dec 12:35 2008
Picon

Bonding and network cards

Hi,
I have been playing this weekend with bonding on PCI netcards and found
that all of netcards I have, but old 3com, do not support MII. So
bonding is not going to happen with them. Do you have some pci netcards
supporting MII successfully running on bonging?
Thanks,
David Hrbáč
Ralph Angenendt | 1 Dec 12:44 2008
Picon

Re: Bonding and network cards

David Hrbáč wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been playing this weekend with bonding on PCI netcards and found
> that all of netcards I have, but old 3com, do not support MII. So
> bonding is not going to happen with them. Do you have some pci netcards
> supporting MII successfully running on bonging?

That is strange. But you shouldn't be needing mii, use_carrier should be
working with modern cards - if they come up at once.

I have bonding on 2 Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T where the
card takes so long to come up that the bonding driver assumes the wrong
link mode (100baseT instead of 1000baseT).

But those cards do work with miimon (which uses miitool and/or ethtool).

Cheers,

Ralph
David Hrbáč | 1 Dec 13:04 2008

Ralph Angenendt napsal(a):
> That is strange. But you shouldn't be needing mii, use_carrier should be
> working with modern cards - if they come up at once.
>
> I have bonding on 2 Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T where the
> card takes so long to come up that the bonding driver assumes the wrong
> link mode (100baseT instead of 1000baseT).
>
> But those cards do work with miimon (which uses miitool and/or ethtool).

OK, I'm gonna test it with use_carrier. I have been playing with
arp_ip_target and miimon without luck.

>From documentation: 'It is critical that either the miimon or
arp_interval and arp_ip_target parameters be specified, otherwise
serious network degradation will occur during link failures.  Very few
devices do not support at least miimon, so there is really no reason not
to use it.'

And as to MII, ethertool on all netcard but old 3com shows no support
for MII. And as to bonging I want to get 802.3ad working.
Thanks,
DH
David Hrbáč | 2 Dec 20:59 2008

Ralph Angenendt napsal(a):
> That is strange. But you shouldn't be needing mii, use_carrier should be
> working with modern cards - if they come up at once.
>
> I have bonding on 2 Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T where the
> card takes so long to come up that the bonding driver assumes the wrong
> link mode (100baseT instead of 1000baseT).
>
> But those cards do work with miimon (which uses miitool and/or ethtool).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

Well, bonding's not working for me with r8169.
David
David Hrbáč | 3 Dec 22:44 2008
Picon

Re: SOLVED: Bonding and network cards

Ralph Angenendt napsal(a):
> That is strange. But you shouldn't be needing mii, use_carrier should be
> working with modern cards - if they come up at once.
>
> I have bonding on 2 Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T where the
> card takes so long to come up that the bonding driver assumes the wrong
> link mode (100baseT instead of 1000baseT).
>
> But those cards do work with miimon (which uses miitool and/or ethtool).
>
> Cheers,

So finally got it working, r8169 is a piece of crap, at least at 2.6.18
kernel :o). Got e1000 cards (Intel PRO/1000 MT), working like a charm.
Seems to me that via-rhine is the very same as r8169.

Just for the record:
1. dhcp on bonding adapter with 802.3ad is not going to work, use static one
2. modes 5,6 work both static and dhpc
3. mode 5 works pretty well across multiple switch units
4. mode 6 does not
5. 802.3ad reacts the most slowly, you have to set lacp_rate=fast and
set switch LACP timeout to the lowest one.
6. mode 5 setting primary=eth0 - once eth0 is up, traffic goes to eth0
back, without primary remains on the last adapter to run
7. and do not forget to use ETHTOOLS_OPT="speed 1000" on physical adapters
8. test done against DLINK DGS-3110-24 (modes 5,6,802.3ad) and one
unmanaged switch (modes 5,6)
Regards,
David Hrbáč
(Continue reading)

David Hrbáč | 3 Dec 22:53 2008

David Hrbáč napsal(a):
> Just for the record:
> 1. dhcp on bonding adapter with 802.3ad is not going to work, use static one
> 2. modes 5,6 work both static and dhpc
> 3. mode 5 works pretty well across multiple switch units
> 4. mode 6 does not
> 5. 802.3ad reacts the most slowly, you have to set lacp_rate=fast and
> set switch LACP timeout to the lowest one.
> 6. mode 5 setting primary=eth0 - once eth0 is up, traffic goes to eth0
> back, without primary remains on the last adapter to run
> 7. and do not forget to use ETHTOOLS_OPT="speed 1000" on physical adapters
> 8. test done against DLINK DGS-3110-24 (modes 5,6,802.3ad) and one
> unmanaged switch (modes 5,6)
> Regards,
> David Hrbáč

Ad 1. http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-014450.htm
DH
Ralph Angenendt | 4 Dec 10:51 2008

David Hrbáč wrote:
> So finally got it working, r8169 is a piece of crap, at least at 2.6.18
> kernel :o).

I think you can drop the last part. They are cheap and good for home
use, I definitely wouldn't use them in a server environment.

Although the driver source seems to imply that mii (or ethtool) can be
used on that card.

Cheers,

Ralph