Miguel Villanueva Lobato | 6 May 03:19 2012
Picon

Problems with snapshot persistence (live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string)

Hi,

I'm using live-build version 2.0.12-2 in Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 (squeeze)

with auto/config

#!/bin/sh
lb config noauto \
       -a i386 \
       -b usb-hdd \
       --hostname liveDebian \
       --username miguel \
       --bootappend-live "persistent locales=es_ES.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=es" \
       "${ <at> }"

I'm trying snapshot persistence with image files:

I copy the live system image to my usb device:
<!-- <at> page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; text-align: justify } P.western { font-size: 12pt } P.cjk { font-size: 10pt } -->

dd if=binary.img of=/dev/sdb

Then, I use the remaining space for a partition called 'data' with an ext2 filesystem. In this partition, I create an image file called 'live-sn' with an ext2 filesystem labeled 'live-sn':

<!-- <at> page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; text-align: justify } P.western { font-size: 12pt } P.cjk { font-size: 10pt } -->

# dd if=/dev/null of=live-sn bs=1G seek=1
# mkfs.ext2 -L live-sn -F live-sn

When I halt the live system or when I try to resync the snapshot (sudo live-snapshot --refresh) I get the following error:

live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string

Snapshot persistence is working with an ext2 partition labeled live-sn but not with image files as I commented above.

Regards,

Miguel.

Miguel Villanueva Lobato | 6 May 12:37 2012
Picon

Re: Problems with snapshot persistence (live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string)

¿Nobody helps me? :(

[...]

Panthera Lionel | 7 May 11:05 2012
Picon

Re: Problems with snapshot persistence (live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string)

Did a quick google on this topic and found back your original question
instead -_-

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.live/13400

Lionel

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Miguel Villanueva Lobato
<miguel.villanueva.lobato <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> ¿Nobody helps me? :(
>
> On 6 May 2012 03:19, Miguel Villanueva Lobato <miguel.villanueva.lobato <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using live-build version 2.0.12-2 in Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 (squeeze)
>>
>> with auto/config
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> lb config noauto \
>>        -a i386 \
>>        -b usb-hdd \
>>        --hostname liveDebian \
>>        --username miguel \
>>        --bootappend-live "persistent locales=es_ES.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=es" \
>>        "${ <at> }"
>>

>> I'm trying snapshot persistence with image files:
>>
>> I copy the live system image to my usb device:
>>
>> dd if=binary.img of=/dev/sdb
>>
>> Then, I use the remaining space for a partition called 'data' with an ext2 filesystem. In this partition,
I create an image file called 'live-sn' with an ext2 filesystem labeled 'live-sn':

>> # dd if=/dev/null of=live-sn bs=1G seek=1
>> # mkfs.ext2 -L live-sn -F live-sn
>>
>> When I halt the live system or when I try to resync the snapshot (sudo live-snapshot --refresh) I get the
following error:

>> live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string
>>
>> Snapshot persistence is working with an ext2 partition labeled live-sn but not with image files as I
commented above.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Miguel.

Miguel Villanueva Lobato | 7 May 11:59 2012
Picon

Re: Problems with snapshot persistence (live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string)

I solved it by looking into the live-snapshot script:

It's not specified in the Debian Live Manual but the image file needs an extension for snapshot persistence:

If you are using a compressed archive (cpio.gz): live-sn[-SubText].cpio.gz ( I used '[ ]' for optional SubText)
for an ext2 filesystem: live-sn[-SubText].ext2
         ext4                : live-sn[-SubText].ext4
......  . . .. .

Greetings.

Did a quick google on this topic and found back your original question
instead -_-

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.live/13400

Lionel

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Miguel Villanueva Lobato
<miguel.villanueva.lobato <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> ¿Nobody helps me? :(
>
> On 6 May 2012 03:19, Miguel Villanueva Lobato <miguel.villanueva.lobato <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using live-build version 2.0.12-2 in Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 (squeeze)
>>
>> with auto/config
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> lb config noauto \
>>        -a i386 \
>>        -b usb-hdd \
>>        --hostname liveDebian \
>>        --username miguel \
>>        --bootappend-live "persistent locales=es_ES.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=es" \
>>        "${ <at> }"
>>

>> I'm trying snapshot persistence with image files:
>>
>> I copy the live system image to my usb device:
>>
>> dd if=binary.img of=/dev/sdb
>>
>> Then, I use the remaining space for a partition called 'data' with an ext2 filesystem. In this partition, I create an image file called 'live-sn' with an ext2 filesystem labeled 'live-sn':
>>
>> # dd if=/dev/null of=live-sn bs=1G seek=1
>> # mkfs.ext2 -L live-sn -F live-sn
>>
>> When I halt the live system or when I try to resync the snapshot (sudo live-snapshot --refresh) I get the following error:
>>
>> live-snapshot: error: unrecognized resync string
>>
>> Snapshot persistence is working with an ext2 partition labeled live-sn but not with image files as I commented above.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Miguel.

Gmane