Lionel Elie Mamane | 3 Mar 19:41 2003
Picon

Re: OpenSSL

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:00:37PM -0600, David Moreno Garza wrote:

> When you see debian.org in french, well, that will be the oficial
> language, by now, please type ENGLISH.

That's funny, because it is very possible that he sees www.debian.org
in French :-)

See http://www.debian.org/intro/cn

Lionel

David Moreno Garza | 4 Mar 00:42 2003

Re: OpenSSL

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 12:41, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> That's funny, because it is very possible that he sees www.debian.org
> in French :-)
>
> See http://www.debian.org/intro/cn

Sure! But www.debian.org is not written mainly in French. The main
language is in english so I just want to make a global stuff.

PS. My signature is in spanish because nobody cares about them ;-)

David Moreno Garza

"A medio mundo le gustan los perros; y hasta el
día de hoy nadie sabe qué quiere decir 'guau'."
- Mafalda.
damog <at> damog.org
Tel: +52 (55) 5559 6281 - Cel: 044 (55) 3114 8942
ICQ: 33111272 - Yahoo!: damogar2002
http://www.damog.org/

Pierre Machard | 4 Mar 13:56 2003

Re: OpenSSL

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 05:42:37PM -0600, David Moreno Garza wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 12:41, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>
> > That's funny, because it is very possible that he sees www.debian.org
> > in French :-)
> >
> > See http://www.debian.org/intro/cn
>
> Sure! But www.debian.org is not written mainly in French. The main
> language is in english so I just want to make a global stuff.

57% of the debian website is already translate in French. So we can
conseider that for French spoken people www.d.o is mainly written in
French.
Don't be stupid please !

How can a visitor guess that the main language is English ?

Try to understand what is the l10n-effort before making such remark !

                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard <at> tuxfamily.org>                                  TuxFamily.org
<pmachard <at> techmag.net>                                     techmag.info
+33(0)668 178 365                    http://migus.tuxfamily.org/gpg.txt
GPG: 1024D/23706F87 : B906 A53F 84E0 49B6 6CF7 82C2 B3A0 2D66 2370 6F87

Re: OpenSSL

> Don't be stupid please !

Heh, when I read his inflamed first reply, I thought "troll!".  He seems not
to be one, but still... it only detracts from HIS net.image to write such
posts.

> How can a visitor guess that the main language is English ?

Now, THAT is something we can address.  I propose we make it even more
clear that certain mailing lists are in English, so that people doing a
fast read of lists.d.o will notice that fact.

Adding a [language] tag to every mailing list description would do it,
I think...

  Henrique Holschuh

Pierre Machard | 4 Mar 14:50 2003

Re: OpenSSL

Hi

On tue mar 04 2003 at 10:37 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
[...]
> Now, THAT is something we can address.  I propose we make it even more
> clear that certain mailing lists are in English, so that people doing a
> fast read of lists.d.o will notice that fact.
>
> Adding a [language] tag to every mailing list description would do it,
> I think...

I agree.

I would like to add that it will be better to add a such tag when quoting
an email address within the debian webpage.

for exemple : (quoting w.d.o/contact)

Problems with existing mirrors can be reported at mirrors <at> debian.org
[<a href="footnote">En</a>]

With a link to a footnote explaining what [En], [Es], [Fi].. means

What do you think ?

                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard <at> tuxfamily.org>                                  TuxFamily.org
<pmachard <at> techmag.net>                                     techmag.info
(Continue reading)

Peter Karlsson | 4 Mar 15:20 2003

Re: OpenSSL

Pierre Machard:

> Problems with existing mirrors can be reported at mirrors <at> debian.org
> [<a href="footnote">En</a>]
> With a link to a footnote explaining what [En], [Es], [Fi].. means

Why a footnote?

[<abbr title="Please write in English">En</abbr>]

(or even <acronym> if we want it to work in IE)

\\//
Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/
  I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.

Francois Chenais | 4 Mar 15:30 2003
X-Face
Picon

Re: OpenSSL

In fact, if we compare the frequency this error occurs and the number of mails generated by the flamed reply,
the flamed reply is more OT than the French mail !!!!!!

Even if we spend time to find what is the better choice to tag the subject, "the error is human !"

   I think the better way is to simply reply as Lionel !

	François