Thomas Goirand | 11 Mar 20:09 2012
Picon

Gergely Nagy: how will you "search for talent and passion"

Hi,

"search[ing] for talent and passion" is a great goal, but just writing
"The key to my goal is communication" isn't enough for me. So, how will
you do?

Cheers,

Thomas

Gergely Nagy | 17 Mar 13:45 2012

Re: Gergely Nagy: how will you "search for talent and passion"

Thomas Goirand <zigo <at> debian.org> writes:

> "search[ing] for talent and passion" is a great goal, but just writing
> "The key to my goal is communication" isn't enough for me. So, how will
> you do?

I have a couple of ideas, including - but not limited to:

 * As mentioned in a different thread, I'd love to get a "Review &
   Mentor" team up and running. This would make it smoother to start
   contributing to Debian, and with a few people working together to
   mentor new contributors, it'd be easier to spot the ones we can
   recruit for the tasks that need more manpower.

   It would also make it less of a burden to find sponsors, and not
   having to wait weeks or months certainly helps keeping one's passion
   fueled.

   The hows are many and diverse: on one hand, we can make the process
   smoother even without a review & mentor team, see the DebExpo GSoC
   project, or recent mails on -mentors <at> . On the other hand, when the
   software and infrastructure supports it, the task of mentoring &
   sponsoring can be split up more easily, which would help forming a
   team.

   The hardest part is finding enough people for the team, once the
   infrastructure is in place. I have a few vague ideas how I'd approach
   the problem, but no bullet-point plan yet.

 * Local teams and user groups are another way to attract interested