Ansgar Burchardt | 12 Mar 15:46 2012

Gergely Nagy: enough packaging manpower?

Hi,

while reading algernon's platform I stumbled over the two sentences
"More packages, more packagers? A solved problem" and "Not raw,
packaging manpower - with hundreds of people, we have that covered".

How do you think about the current state of reviewing uploads for
maintainers without upload privileges (for both new packages and updates
to existing packages)?

Regards,
Ansgar

Gergely Nagy | 13 Mar 11:18 2012
Picon

Re: Gergely Nagy: enough packaging manpower?

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar <at> 43-1.org> writes:

> while reading algernon's platform I stumbled over the two sentences
> "More packages, more packagers? A solved problem" and "Not raw,
> packaging manpower - with hundreds of people, we have that covered".

> How do you think about the current state of reviewing uploads for
> maintainers without upload privileges (for both new packages and updates
> to existing packages)?

In short: it's poor. While there have been many improvements in that
area (the sponsorship-requests pseudo-package, continuing work on
mentors.d.n, and so on), the manpower there IS lacking. Finding a
sponsor is hard, and often time consuming. Package reviews are a bit
better, as many are more willing to review than to sponsor (especially
since non-uploading members of the -mentors <at>  list can review too, there
have been and continue to be examples of that, and that's great).

This is one of the areas where we need to find motivated people to help
with reviews and sponsoring, on a regular basis, because right now,
unless the sponsoree can find a team to work with, the whole process
becomes very frustrating, very quickly.

There are many things we can do to improve the situation, ranging from
encouraging more prospective packagers to approach a team first, to
things like improvements[1] to DebExpo that would make it easier for
both teams and sponsorees to achieve the same thing.

I would also love to see a "Review & Mentor" team, something that could
work along and with the NM process, whose task would be to do just what
(Continue reading)

Thomas Goirand | 15 Mar 18:50 2012
Picon

Re: A "Review & Mentor" team

On 03/13/2012 06:18 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> I would also love to see a "Review & Mentor" team, something that could
> work along and with the NM process, whose task would be to do just what
> the name suggests: reivew packages, help find a sponsor

Oh, *that* is very interesting. And that gives me another idea.

You know, I've been reading -mentors for quite some time, because when I
was needing sponsorship, I was frustrated as well. Now that I've done
few sponsoring, I don't read -mentors too much because there's too much
traffic. But for sure, I'd be happy to do few sponsoring for the type of
package on my *area of interest* (eg: hosting and servers). But since
there's too much traffic and I have a limited time, I don't read much
-mentors, and I must have skipped few interesting packages.

Now, what I'd be very glad to have would be that Debexpo knows about
tags, and that someone needing sponsoring would tag his package once
it's uploaded to Debexpo.

A sponsor would, on his side, select what type of tags he is interested
in. For me for example, I'd be selecting server type of software, so I'd
for example select system::server. Then I would receive on my mail all
request for sponsoring server related RFS only, saving me the loss of
time browsing -mentors which is flooded with X-Window / GUI software
that I care less about.

Having all this would mean that the following change occurs:
1/ Debexpo would allow sponsoree to edit tags on their software
2/ Debexpo would allow sponsors to register for tags they are interested
in, and send RFS depending on matches with 1/
(Continue reading)

Arno Töll | 15 Mar 19:17 2012
Picon

Re: A "Review & Mentor" team

Hi Thomas,

On 15.03.2012 18:50, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> A sponsor would, on his side, select what type of tags he is
> interested in. For me for example, I'd be selecting server type of
> software, so I'd for example select system::server. Then I would
> receive on my mail all request for sponsoring server related RFS
> only, saving me the loss of time browsing -mentors which is flooded
> with X-Window / GUI software that I care less about.

that's exactly what we're working on. Or rather: We'd like to work on.
See [1] and [2][3]. Other than that I've been working on consolidating
sponsoring guidelines [4] to allow DD's to give certain preferences of
packages they care for.

Of course we have many people to improve the Debexpo code base, but
less manpower ...

[1]
http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Semantic_Package_Review_Interface_for_mentors.debian.net
[2]
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=313252&group_id=100127&atid=413115
[3]
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=313253&group_id=100127&atid=413115
[4] http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7996/bootstrap40.png

with kind regards,
Arno Töll
(Continue reading)

Nathan Owens | 16 Mar 00:42 2012
Picon

Re: A "Review & Mentor" team

On 03/15/2012 12:50 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/13/2012 06:18 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> I would also love to see a "Review&  Mentor" team, something that could
>> work along and with the NM process, whose task would be to do just what
>> the name suggests: reivew packages, help find a sponsor
> Oh, *that* is very interesting. And that gives me another idea.
>
> You know, I've been reading -mentors for quite some time, because when I
> was needing sponsorship, I was frustrated as well. Now that I've done
> few sponsoring, I don't read -mentors too much because there's too much
> traffic. But for sure, I'd be happy to do few sponsoring for the type of
> package on my *area of interest* (eg: hosting and servers). But since
> there's too much traffic and I have a limited time, I don't read much
> -mentors, and I must have skipped few interesting packages.
>
> Now, what I'd be very glad to have would be that Debexpo knows about
> tags, and that someone needing sponsoring would tag his package once
> it's uploaded to Debexpo.
>
> A sponsor would, on his side, select what type of tags he is interested
> in. For me for example, I'd be selecting server type of software, so I'd
> for example select system::server. Then I would receive on my mail all
> request for sponsoring server related RFS only, saving me the loss of
> time browsing -mentors which is flooded with X-Window / GUI software
> that I care less about.
>
> Having all this would mean that the following change occurs:
> 1/ Debexpo would allow sponsoree to edit tags on their software
> 2/ Debexpo would allow sponsors to register for tags they are interested
> in, and send RFS depending on matches with 1/
(Continue reading)

Paul Wise | 16 Mar 00:46 2012
Picon

Re: A "Review & Mentor" team

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Nathan Owens wrote:

> If I could vote, I would vote yes for this idea. It would probably make
> adding new software to Debian faster/easier.

You can vote on that just like everyone else; with code:

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debexpo/
http://alioth.debian.org/scm/?group_id=100127
http://lists.debian.org/4F623221.9090907 <at> toell.net

bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Gergely Nagy | 17 Mar 12:12 2012

Re: A "Review & Mentor" team

Thomas Goirand <zigo <at> debian.org> writes:

> On 03/13/2012 06:18 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> I would also love to see a "Review & Mentor" team, something that could
>> work along and with the NM process, whose task would be to do just what
>> the name suggests: reivew packages, help find a sponsor
>
> Oh, *that* is very interesting. And that gives me another idea.
[...]
> Now, what I'd be very glad to have would be that Debexpo knows about
> tags, and that someone needing sponsoring would tag his package once
> it's uploaded to Debexpo.

This is something, I believe, that would be covered by the DebExpo GSoC
project[1], which I referred to in my mail to -vote, too. ;)

 [1]: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2012/Projects#Semantic_Package_Review_Interface_for_mentors.debian.net

> A sponsor would, on his side, select what type of tags he is interested
> in. For me for example, I'd be selecting server type of software, so I'd
> for example select system::server. Then I would receive on my mail all
> request for sponsoring server related RFS only, saving me the loss of
> time browsing -mentors which is flooded with X-Window / GUI software
> that I care less about.

One thing we could do right now, is to usertag RFS bugs. While that's
not as nice and easy as receiving only the tags you would subscribe to,
but checking the "system::server" usertagged RFS bugs once in a while
should be an improvement, I think.