Martin Zobel-Helas | 10 Mar 13:40 2013
Picon

Why do you think you are a good candidate for DPL

Hi,

this question goes to all candidates:

Why do you think you are a good candidate for the next DPL term?

Cheers,
Martin

 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel <at> debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster
 http://about.me/zobel                               Debian Webmaster
 GPG Fingerprint:  6B18 5642 8E41 EC89 3D5D  BDBB 53B1 AC6D B11B 627B

Moray Allan | 10 Mar 20:37 2013

Re: Why do you think you are a good candidate for DPL

On 2013-03-10 15:40, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Why do you think you are a good candidate for the next DPL term?

Thanks for your question.  I hope that my platform sheds some light on
this:
http://www.debian.org/vote/2013/platforms/moray

I would see these as some of the key points:

- I have already been working as a leader within DebConf for a number
of years in a way similar to how the DPL acts within overall Debian.
Although it rarely makes a lot of noise on the main Debian lists,
DebConf is a big subproject within Debian.  It handles a large budget
every year and in addition to ongoing team members it recruits large
number of temporary volunteers from existing Debian contributors and
from people interested in contributing to Debian.  I have learnt a lot
from working to coordinate the many required tasks among these
volunteers, many of whom are new each year, to make sure that each
conference is ready on time and within the available funds -- and from
mediating when there have been conflicts.

- I have been a regular package maintainer for about 10 years,
including being part of a small packaging team.  While the amount of
time I have spent on DebConf work hasn't left me time for major
technical projects within Debian -- and while during my time as an
academic researcher, I didn't always want to spend my spare time doing
too much more pure technical work and programming -- I do think it's
important that DPL candidates should be in touch with how the great
majority of Debian members experience Debian through this working on
this kind of task, not only good at managing.  (Among other things I
(Continue reading)

Lucas Nussbaum | 10 Mar 22:56 2013
Picon

On 10/03/13 at 13:40 +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Why do you think you are a good candidate for the next DPL term?

Eh, that's a difficult question. Also, I suspect you mean "be a good
DPL" and not "be a good candidate", right? Anyway, I will answer about
"be a good DPL".

That's a difficult question because the role of the DPL is rather
complex, and actually quite loosely defined (i.e. mainly defined by how
past DPLs behaved -- the constitutional definition only covers a small
part of the DPL role). This also means that it is OK for DPLs to be
different, and explore different ways of being a "good DPL".

However, the "level 0" of being a good DPL is taking good care of the
project, making sure that there are no big blockers faced by
contributors. This might seem natural now, but a few years back, it was
not unusual for some part of the project to be completely stuck for
months.

Of course, to achieve that, I will inspire from what was done by
previous DPLs for that. As written in my platform, I will also try to
improve on being more proactive at detecting problems, since it's way
easier to solve them early.

Why do I think I would be good at that? If I just say "I would be good
at that", you might not be convinced. :) So let's be a bit more
specific.

(Continue reading)

Gergely Nagy | 11 Mar 21:54 2013

Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel <at> debian.org> writes:

> Why do you think you are a good candidate for the next DPL term?

That's a good question, one that I'm not sure I can provide a useful
answer for. Not because I have doubts (I don't), but because why *I*
think I am a good candidate has little relevance, and is fairly simple
anyway (I'll get there in a moment). What counts, is whether others
believe that I can do a good job, whether I can handle the goals I set
out in my platform, whether I can handle the unexpected too. I know I
can, I do this on a smaller scale at work, every day. But that's not all
that convincing, is it?

Problem is, I can't imagine any situation where anyone could convince me
they're fit for a leadership role, unless I've seen them in that exact
same position, and seen them do it well.

For this reason, I'm not going to go into minute detail on why I think
I'm fit for the role. I'd like to believe that my platform, and the
answers I'll be giving over the next few weeks will speak for
themselves, and all of them together will give you an answer for this
question too.

--
|8]

Gmane