Arno Töll | 12 Mar 18:31 2013
Picon

[all candidates] Work balance and traveling

Hi,

while reading your platforms I noticed that you're rather vague on your
future Debian commitment for that one of you ending as DPL for real.
Moray mostly answered my question already, but if he wants to extend
he's surely invited to elaborate. Hence, my question primarily addresses
lucas and algernon:

Sorry to tell, but you're all compared to zack leaving back some by-now
established patterns as a DPL. So I wonder, will you step back from
maintainer/team activities during your term? You are both well known for
your work within Debian, lucas' archive rebuilds come me in mind
immediately, and algernon likewise for his tireless work behind the
curtains (reassigning lost bugs. Does anyone else besides him read
debian-bugs-dist? Helping on the mentors edge and more).

How do you intend to handle your existing Debian commitment, in case
you're elected for DPL?

Moreover, I wonder how much time you intend to spend for representative
conference/summit work, where zack once again did an impressive job to
represent Debian in talks, press and presentations.

with kind regards,
Arno Töll
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC
GnuPG Key-ID: 0x9D80F36D

(Continue reading)

Lucas Nussbaum | 12 Mar 20:54 2013
Picon

Re: [all candidates] Work balance and traveling

Hi,

On 12/03/13 at 18:31 +0100, Arno Töll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while reading your platforms I noticed that you're rather vague on your
> future Debian commitment for that one of you ending as DPL for real.
> Moray mostly answered my question already, but if he wants to extend
> he's surely invited to elaborate. Hence, my question primarily addresses
> lucas and algernon:
>
> Sorry to tell, but you're all compared to zack leaving back some by-now
> established patterns as a DPL. So I wonder, will you step back from
> maintainer/team activities during your term? You are both well known for
> your work within Debian, lucas' archive rebuilds come me in mind
> immediately, and algernon likewise for his tireless work behind the
> curtains (reassigning lost bugs. Does anyone else besides him read
> debian-bugs-dist? Helping on the mentors edge and more).
>
> How do you intend to handle your existing Debian commitment, in case
> you're elected for DPL?
>
> Moreover, I wonder how much time you intend to spend for representative
> conference/summit work, where zack once again did an impressive job to
> represent Debian in talks, press and presentations.

If elected, I will reduce my involvement in other areas of Debian:
- I will stop doing Ruby work (I'm getting tired of it and I need to
  move on anyway). We have two quite new DD in the Ruby team who are
  very active and doing great work, so it's a perfect time to stop.
(Continue reading)

Gergely Nagy | 13 Mar 16:45 2013

Arno Töll <arno <at> debian.org> writes:

> Sorry to tell, but you're all compared to zack leaving back some by-now
> established patterns as a DPL. So I wonder, will you step back from
> maintainer/team activities during your term?

Most likely, yes. While the packages I maintain are fairly quiet and
take little time to keep in good shape, the less I have, the more time I
can spend elsewhere. I already am in talks with someone who'd take over
two of my packages (libmongo-client & ivykis), and I'm open to give up
or co-maintain all the rest too (except for dpatch and dh-exec). By the
way, I intend to reduce the number of packages I maintain whether
elected or not.

I'm also looking for someone to take over the unofficial syslog-ng
packages I maintain[1], as *that* takes tons of time. Reasonable
progress is being made on that front too.

 [1]: http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/projects/debian/

As for my other activities.. I still owe Ganneff and the ftp-master team
a pdiff patch, I intend to see to it before the end of the campaing
period (really, this time!). I'd also like to peek at NEW from time to
time, and contribute comments, because that is quite often a very
soothing experience.

On the other hand, if elected, we'll have to find someone to keep an eye
on -bugs-dist and misfiled bugs, because that takes a significant amount
(Continue reading)

Moray Allan | 14 Mar 17:18 2013

On 2013-03-12 20:31, Arno Töll wrote:
> Moray mostly answered my question already, but if he wants to extend
> he's surely invited to elaborate. [...]
> So I wonder, will you step back from
> maintainer/team activities during your term?

For anyone reading who didn't yet memorise my platform, I wrote there:

"How would I have time to be DPL?

- On previous occasions I'd ruled out running for lack of time, but I
am more flexible currently – and I might not have such flexibility any
more in another couple of years, so am running now.
- I currently spend a large amount of time on DebConf, and would reduce
this, while drawing on the experience I have gained there.
- I am self-employed, so can be confident that my employer will be
flexible when required."

Of course, as DPL I would continue to interact with the DebConf team,
press/publicity teams, etc., but in a different way from currently.

The great majority of my packages are already team maintained.