Raphael Hertzog | 12 Mar 18:37 2013
Picon

To Lucas: how do you plan to push your ideas

Hello Lucas,

I've read your platform and I share your 5-years goals and I agree
on most of the suggested intermediary goals to bring us closer to
the long term goals.

That said, it's not clear to me how you plan to achieve them. Being
the DPL doesn't grant you more time to implement them yourself and
your influence as DPL is limited.

You said “at least you know what I consider the most important, and where
I would push”.

How do you expect to push your agenda for the project?

Do you plan to recruit minions^WDPL helpers to work on each of the
sub-goals?

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/

Mehdi Dogguy | 12 Mar 21:06 2013

Re: To Lucas: how do you plan to push your ideas

On 03/12/2013 06:37 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello Lucas,
>
> I've read your platform and I share your 5-years goals and I agree
> on most of the suggested intermediary goals to bring us closer to
> the long term goals.
>
> That said, it's not clear to me how you plan to achieve them. Being
> the DPL doesn't grant you more time to implement them yourself and
> your influence as DPL is limited.
>
> You said “at least you know what I consider the most important, and where
> I would push”.
>
> How do you expect to push your agenda for the project?

I do wonder why your question is for lucas specifically? It would be
interesting
to hear other candidates on this too.

> Do you plan to recruit minions^WDPL helpers to work on each of the
> sub-goals?

Not replying for him but his platform mentions that. Maybe you should read
it?

Raphael Hertzog | 13 Mar 00:18 2013
Picon

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> I do wonder why your question is for lucas specifically? It would be
> interesting to hear other candidates on this too.

Because I find that Lucas has included more "technical and concrete" goals
than others have done and it's difficult to find volunteers to implement
one's ideas.

At least that was my feeling, yours might differ and I have no problem if
others candidates want to respond to my question.

> > Do you plan to recruit minions^WDPL helpers to work on each of the
> > sub-goals?
>
> Not replying for him but his platform mentions that. Maybe you should read
> it?

He mentions the continuation of DPL helpers but as a way to "share the
"workload" and to "move forward with *their* ideas", which might not
necessarily be the same than his own ideas.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/

Moray Allan | 14 Mar 22:27 2013

On 2013-03-12 23:06, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 03/12/2013 06:37 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> That said, it's not clear to me how you plan to achieve them. Being
>> the DPL doesn't grant you more time to implement them yourself and
>> your influence as DPL is limited.
>> [...]
>> How do you expect to push your agenda for the project?
>
> I do wonder why your question is for lucas specifically? It would be
> interesting
> to hear other candidates on this too.

I have tried to avoid basing my platform directly on anything that
would require existing delegates to make specific actions with respect
to delegated areas (or, equivalently, that would imply the replacement
of delegates if they don't agree).

I do make statements about general ways that I would like delegates,
and other members of Debian teams, to behave, as well as mentioning some
areas for possible new delegations, or expansions of existing ones.  I
give a few examples of things I'd like to see happen, as views rather
than promises, in the "Specific ideas" subsection.

I have similarly tried to avoid including too much that would be nice
but that isn't related to the DPL position or more generally to
coordination of Debian.  For example, I think it would be nice to have a
DVCS containing up-to-date source for all Debian packages, but I can't
really state that me becoming DPL would make it happen more quickly.

Looking through my platform:
(Continue reading)

Lucas Nussbaum | 12 Mar 21:49 2013
Picon

On 12/03/13 at 18:37 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello Lucas,
>
> I've read your platform and I share your 5-years goals and I agree
> on most of the suggested intermediary goals to bring us closer to
> the long term goals.
>
> That said, it's not clear to me how you plan to achieve them. Being
> the DPL doesn't grant you more time to implement them yourself and
> your influence as DPL is limited.
>
> You said “at least you know what I consider the most important, and where
> I would push”.
>
> How do you expect to push your agenda for the project?
>
> Do you plan to recruit minions^WDPL helpers to work on each of the
> sub-goals?

Before addressing the core of your question: as I said in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2013/03/msg00072.html, I'm not a
big fan of the "DPL helpers" name (and no, "minions" is not better :) )

First, even if being DPL would not grant more time to implement my
ideas, it could increase efficiency a bit: if I'm elected, it's likely
that DD will consider requests related to the goals listed in my
platform with slightly more attention.

But I fully agree that it's no enough.