Neil McGovern | 13 Mar 12:13 2013
Picon

All candidates - quotes for the press if you win

Hi all,

This may be a thinly veiled attempt to get some work out of my way
before the election, rather than after it. However, it may also be
useful for voters in determining their ballots!

Could you provide a couple of sentences (no more) for the below?

* How do you feel about having won the election?

* What is the main thing you're looking to change in your first 100
days?

* What do you view Debian's greatest challenge in the coming year?

* How important is Debian directly, now that Ubuntu and Linux Mint have
grown so popular?

Thanks,
Neil
(Press officer du jour)

Gergely Nagy | 13 Mar 18:13 2013

Re: All candidates - quotes for the press if you win

Neil McGovern <neilm <at> debian.org> writes:

> Could you provide a couple of sentences (no more) for the below?
>
> * How do you feel about having won the election?

Sad, ready, happy and humbled. Sad, because only one of us could
win. Happy, because of the trust the voters showed towards me,
humbled for the same reason. And ready to serve.

> * What is the main thing you're looking to change in your first 100
> days?

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to changing the first 100 days is
the transition period. I'll be working tirelessly to pick up the tasks
and start out on the journey of improvement.

> * What do you view Debian's greatest challenge in the coming year?

The greatest challenge I foresee is growing up, out from being a simple
(for some values of simple) distribution with a great community and
unimaginable talent into something much more.

> * How important is Debian directly, now that Ubuntu and Linux Mint have
> grown so popular?

Debian is *the* universal operating system. No matter how popular
downstream distributions will become, this will always remain the
case. It is very important that we not only maintain, but improve our
standing, and learn from our downstream's success.
(Continue reading)

Lucas Nussbaum | 16 Mar 12:26 2013
Picon

On 13/03/13 at 11:13 +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This may be a thinly veiled attempt to get some work out of my way
> before the election, rather than after it. However, it may also be
> useful for voters in determining their ballots!
>
> Could you provide a couple of sentences (no more) for the below?
>
> * How do you feel about having won the election?

It's difficult to answer that question now, and if I won, I'd rather
update my answer after that ;) But I suspect that I would feel a mix of
honored, frightened by the upcoming job, and eager to start working.

> * What is the main thing you're looking to change in your first 100
> days?

I like to keep an open mind. I find the -vote <at>  discussions very
interesting, and it's still possible that the "main thing I'm looking
to change" has not been mentioned yet.

> * What do you view Debian's greatest challenge in the coming year?

Release wheezy, and start the next cycle on good bases.

> * How important is Debian directly, now that Ubuntu and Linux Mint have
> grown so popular?

Debian is the rock-solid basis on which Ubuntu and Linux Mint are built.
(Continue reading)

Moray Allan | 16 Mar 19:13 2013

On 2013-03-13 14:13, Neil McGovern wrote:
> Could you provide a couple of sentences (no more) for the below?

Here are some answers, intended to be appropriate for a press release,
as requested.

> * How do you feel about having won the election?

"Following Stefano as Debian Project Leader feels a huge
responsibility.  I want to thank him for the huge amount of work he's
put in over the last three years, and I hope I can show a little of the
wisdom that he's shown in the role."

> * What is the main thing you're looking to change in your first 100
> days?

"I plan to start by working on some internal topics that can help us
grow and advance our goals better in the future.  In particular I want
us to agree on some good practice guidelines for teams and leadership
positions within the Debian community."

> * What do you view Debian's greatest challenge in the coming year?

"I hope that we release the next version of Debian, codenamed 'wheezy',
without major delays.  I look forward to seeing the burst of activity
and new technical ideas that always follows each release, when we open
up the development process to major changes again after some months of
focusing on fixing bugs."