John Goerzen | 11 Nov 02:21 2002

Proposal - non-free software removal

Pursuant to Appendix A of the Debian Constitution and the guidelines offered
at http://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal, I hereby offer the following
draft proposal as the beginning of a General Resolution process to decide
this issue.

Sponsors should reply to this message.  According to the guidelines, all
other discussion is to occur in debian-devel, and I will start a thread
there with some prelminary analyses of this proposal.

Resolved:

A. That the non-free areas be removed from all non-released Debian
archives, such as "unstable" and "testing".  All packages placed in a
non-free area in accordance with the definition in Policy section
2.1.4 must be removed from the Distribution and archives, subject to
the restrictions in section B.  The introduction or re-introduction
into the Debian Distribution or the Debian archives of any package
meeting the non-free definition in Policy section 2.1.4, or failing
the Debian Free Software Guidelines, shall be forbidden.

B. That nothing in this Resolution shall mandate the removal of non-free
software from historic Debian archives nor from the current stable
archive.  The archive maintainers, release maintainers, or other
responsible parties under the Debian Constitution shall decide the
final disposition of the non-free software in historic and current
stable areas.

(Continue reading)

Bob Hilliard | 11 Nov 16:39 2002
Picon

Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

John Goerzen <jgoerzen <at> complete.org> writes:

> Pursuant to Appendix A of the Debian Constitution and the guidelines offered
> at http://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal, I hereby offer the following
> draft proposal as the beginning of a General Resolution process to decide
> this issue.

     I second the proposal made by John Goerzen in Message-ID:
<20021111012134.GA2324 <at> complete.org>

Bob

   _
  |_)  _  |_    Robert D. Hilliard        <hilliard <at> debian.org>
  |_) (_) |_)   1294 S.W. Seagull Way     <bob <at> bobhilliard.net>
                Palm City, FL 34990 USA   GPG Key ID: 390D6559

Branden Robinson | 12 Nov 10:48 2002

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 07:21:34PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Pursuant to Appendix A of the Debian Constitution and the guidelines offered
> at http://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal, I hereby offer the following
> draft proposal as the beginning of a General Resolution process to decide
> this issue.

I second the proposal in <20021111012134.GA2324 <at> complete.org> as posted
to the debian-vote list by John Goerzen.

> Sponsors should reply to this message.  According to the guidelines, all
> other discussion is to occur in debian-devel, and I will start a thread
> there with some prelminary analyses of this proposal.

-project is a better list, but if the secretary's guidelines say to use
-devel instead, I guess you're stuck.  Maybe the guidelines should be
updated?

I would like to a very minor amendment to this proposal.  I will not
withdraw my second if you elect not to accept it.

> D. That the maintainer of the Debian Policy Manual, or an appointee of
> the Debian Project Leader, be directed to update that manual
[...]
> E. That the maintainers of the Debian archives and website, or an
> appointee of the Debian Project Leader, be directed to implement the

s/appointee/delegate/

I think it is preferable that we employ in this resolution the term used
by the Constitution for such people.
(Continue reading)

John Goerzen | 13 Nov 20:58 2002

Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

I accept Branden's amendment.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 04:48:04AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I would like to a very minor amendment to this proposal.  I will not
> withdraw my second if you elect not to accept it.
>
> > D. That the maintainer of the Debian Policy Manual, or an appointee of
> > the Debian Project Leader, be directed to update that manual
> [...]
> > E. That the maintainers of the Debian archives and website, or an
> > appointee of the Debian Project Leader, be directed to implement the
>
> s/appointee/delegate/
>
> I think it is preferable that we employ in this resolution the term used
> by the Constitution for such people.
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |    People are equally horrified at
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |    hearing the Christian religion
> branden <at> debian.org                 |    doubted, and at seeing it
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    practiced.         -- Samuel Butler

Craig Sanders | 15 Nov 03:32 2002

Re: Proposal - non-free software removal

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 07:21:34PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Pursuant to Appendix A of the Debian Constitution and the guidelines
> offered at http://www.debian.org/vote/howto_proposal, I hereby offer
> the following draft proposal as the beginning of a General Resolution
> process to decide this issue.

i do NOT second this proposal.

if, however, it gains enough support that it will come to a vote, i
propose the following amendment:

that the entire text of John Goerzen's proposal be replaced with

   "All Debian developers will be formally requested to renounce their
   evil ways (if they have any), orphan any non-free packages they are
   responsible for, request removal of said package(s) from the debian
   ftp archive, and contribute their energies to free alternatives
   instead.  This is a request, not an order - each developer will be
   free to respond to or ignore the request as they see fit."

please do not second this amendment until & unless JG's proposed GR
gains enough support to require a vote.

craig

craig sanders <cas <at> taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.