Andreas Tille | 1 Dec 07:09 2005
Picon

Re: General Resolution: Declassification of debian-private list archives

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Debian Project Secretary wrote:

>        Propose that the Debian project resolve that the process
>        defined in the Proposal will be applied only for the future
>        content of debian-private mailing list.

I for myself see no real technical benefit in publishing the archive.  So
the ratio of use and effort (for those people who do the work) does not
make any sense to me.  So if there *really* are some DDs who volunteer to
spend their time on old postings it is fine for me but because I think
there are much more valuable tasks to do for the benefit of Debian I just
will not vote intentionally.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Horms | 1 Dec 08:10 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:09:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Debian Project Secretary wrote:
>
> >       Propose that the Debian project resolve that the process
> >       defined in the Proposal will be applied only for the future
> >       content of debian-private mailing list.
>
> I for myself see no real technical benefit in publishing the archive.  So
> the ratio of use and effort (for those people who do the work) does not
> make any sense to me.  So if there *really* are some DDs who volunteer to
> spend their time on old postings it is fine for me but because I think
> there are much more valuable tasks to do for the benefit of Debian I just
> will not vote intentionally.

I am also concerned that it creates uneccessary administrative overhead
for very little gain.

Horms

Don Armstrong | 1 Dec 09:36 2005

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005, Horms wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:09:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > if there *really* are some DDs who volunteer to spend their time
> > on old postings it is fine for me but because I think there are
> > much more valuable tasks to do for the benefit of Debian I just
> > will not vote intentionally.
>
> I am also concerned that it creates uneccessary administrative
> overhead for very little gain.

Presumably the people who are delegated to undertake this task will do
so only because they actually want to do so and feel it's more
important than whatever else they would be doing with their time.

As far as administrative overhead goes, I don't really see there being
much burden on anyone outside of the group of people who are
interested in implementing it or interested in making sure that their
posts to -private stay private. [The only thing I can see is a bit of
time spent by the listmasters if placing the sanctified archives on
lists.debian.org is the right way to go... but a couple of .gz'ed
mailboxes is probably more than good enough if listmasters don't want
to bother.]

Anyway, from my perspective, all we're doing is putting in place a
mechanism whereby useful parts of -private can be made publicly
available. Whether developers actually end up doing the work to make
it publicly available comes later.

Don Armstrong

(Continue reading)

Sven Luther | 1 Dec 10:11 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:36:26AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005, Horms wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:09:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > if there *really* are some DDs who volunteer to spend their time
> > > on old postings it is fine for me but because I think there are
> > > much more valuable tasks to do for the benefit of Debian I just
> > > will not vote intentionally.
> >
> > I am also concerned that it creates uneccessary administrative
> > overhead for very little gain.
>
> Presumably the people who are delegated to undertake this task will do
> so only because they actually want to do so and feel it's more
> important than whatever else they would be doing with their time.
>
> As far as administrative overhead goes, I don't really see there being
> much burden on anyone outside of the group of people who are
> interested in implementing it or interested in making sure that their
> posts to -private stay private. [The only thing I can see is a bit of
> time spent by the listmasters if placing the sanctified archives on
> lists.debian.org is the right way to go... but a couple of .gz'ed
> mailboxes is probably more than good enough if listmasters don't want
> to bother.]

Mmm, maybe best would to publish them on a web page somewhere, not in mbox
format, and probably with email addresses scrambled for good measure. I am
not sure i want stuff i posted in confidence made public, not sure though, as
i don't remember all i have posted there 3 years ago. I doubt any is of public
interest anyway, so the point should be moot.

(Continue reading)

David Moreno Garza | 1 Dec 23:59 2005

On 10:11 Thu 01 Dec 2005, Sven Luther wrote:
> I am not sure i want stuff i posted in confidence made public, not
> sure though, as i don't remember all i have posted there 3 years
> ago.

That's why some of us have proposed/seconded the future-content
amendment:

http://www.debian.org/vote/2005/vote_002#amendmenttext

David Moreno Garza <damog <at> damog.net>   |  http://www.damog.net/
		   <damog <at> debian.org>  |          GPG: C671257D
 En marciano me fui a convertir.

Horms | 2 Dec 09:18 2005

In gmane.linux.debian.devel.project Don Armstrong <don <at> debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2005, Horms wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 07:09:25AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> > if there *really* are some DDs who volunteer to spend their time
>> > on old postings it is fine for me but because I think there are
>> > much more valuable tasks to do for the benefit of Debian I just
>> > will not vote intentionally.
>>
>> I am also concerned that it creates uneccessary administrative
>> overhead for very little gain.

[snip]

> Anyway, from my perspective, all we're doing is putting in place a
> mechanism whereby useful parts of -private can be made publicly
> available. Whether developers actually end up doing the work to make
> it publicly available comes later.

Point taken.

Horms

Gmane