Martin Schulze | 13 Aug 21:28 2002

Debian Weekly News - August 13th, 2002

Debian Weekly News
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2002/31/
Debian Weekly News - August 13th, 2002

Welcome to this year's 31st issue of DWN, the weekly newsletter for
the Debian community. This was a guiet week as well, except for
security updates. However, we don't want you to get bored. Check out
this [1]Free Software licensing quiz. The Linux users group of Davis
collected articles about Free Software and compiled a [2]list of
reasons to avoid certain non-free systems.

 1. http://www.gnu.org/cgi-bin/license-quiz.cgi
 2. http://www.lugod.org/microsoft/

New Python Version? Torsten Landschoff [3]wondered when Python 2.2
will become the default version for Debian, since the new upstream
source of python-gnome for Gnome 2 requires Python 2.2 for building.
Chris Lawrence [4]explained that there was a consensus apparently,
that Debian would move to Python 2.3 as the next default Python
version, skipping 2.2 entirely.

 3. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0208/msg00347.html
 4. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0208/msg00356.html

Ceasing db1 from GNU libc. Ben Collins [5]announced that db1 has been
gone from glibc proper since after glibc 2.1.3. The only reason it was
kept around was for backward compatibility. According to Ben, it's now
time to dump this old version early in the sarge release cycle so we