Alexander Reichle-Schmehl | 2 Mar 22:47 2011
Picon

Debian announces first South American Security Mirror

The Debian Project                                 http://www.debian.org/
Debian announces first South American Security Mirror    press <at> debian.org
March 2nd, 2011                  http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110302

Debian announces first South American Security Mirror

The Debian project is proud to announce the availability of the first
official security.debian.org mirror in South America.
security.debian.org carries all the security updates of the stable and
oldstable releases.

"In combination with the GeoDNS feature used by Debian, this should
speed up downloads for our users in that geographical area drastically.
This is a welcome improvement in the worldwide coverage of dedicated
official security.debian.org mirrors, administrated by the Debian
projecti" says Martin Zobel-Helas, member of the Debian System
Administration team.

"Debian has many users in South America and we are happy to help the
Debian project with hardware and bandwidth to distribute locally content
that was previously available only in the northern hemisphere" adds
Carlos Carvalho of the C3SL.

Hosting of the security.debian.org service in Brazil is provided by the
C3SL or Computação Científica e Software Livre (Center for Scientific
Computing and Free Software).

  1: http://www.c3sl.ufpr.br/