Francesca Ciceri | 9 Jan 22:50 2012
Picon

Debian Project News - January 9th, 2012

The Debian Project                                http://www.debian.org/
Debian Project News                    debian-publicity <at> lists.debian.org
January 9th, 2012             http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2012/01/

Welcome to this year's first issue of DPN, the newsletter for the Debian
community. Topics covered in this issue include:

  * Debian Edu/Skolelinux 6.0.3 beta2 released
  * Bits from the DPL
  * Forthcoming new release of the X server
  * Scientific article on Debian in PNAS
  * New Debian Infographic
  * New interface for Debtags website
  * apt-get purge defoma
  * Further interviews
  * Other news
  * Upcoming events
  * New Debian Contributors
  * Release-critical bugs statistics for the upcoming release
  * Status of Debian Installer localisation
  * Important Debian Security Advisories
  * New and noteworthy packages
  * Work-needing packages
  * Want to continue reading DPN?

Debian Edu/Skolelinux 6.0.3 beta2 released

Tanguy Ortolo | 9 Jan 23:39 2012
Picon

Re: Debian Project News - January 9th, 2012

Hello.

Thank you for that issue of the DPN, I always appreciate it.

Francesca Ciceri, 2012-01-09 22:50+0100:
> New Debian Contributors
> -----------------------
>
> Fifteen people have started to maintain packages [55] since the previous
> issue of the Debian Project News. Please welcome Werner Detter, Fredrik
> Thulin, Eleanor Chen, Sergiusz Pawlowicz, Brian Thomason, Mike Gabriel,
> Ko van der Sloot, Paul Boddie, Mark Vejvoda, Patrick Ulbrich, Lucia
> Prado, Jon Ludlam, Kamil Ignacak, Mike McClurg, and Leo Iannacone into
> our project!
>
>    55 : http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi

Looks like a piece of information did not reach you. Perhaps for the
next issue of the DPN: there are also news DDs, at least one for what I
know, myself. :-)

Not that I want to do self-promotion of course, only serving the
information. Sorry not to have participated and pointed that out before
this issue of the DPN was published…

Librement,

 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy <at> ortolo.eu> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>
(Continue reading)

Axel Beckert | 10 Jan 01:14 2012
Face
Picon

Re: Debian Project News - January 9th, 2012

Hi,

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> > New Debian Contributors
> > -----------------------
> >
> > Fifteen people have started to maintain packages [55] since the previous
> > issue of the Debian Project News. Please welcome Werner Detter, Fredrik
> > Thulin, Eleanor Chen, Sergiusz Pawlowicz, Brian Thomason, Mike Gabriel,
> > Ko van der Sloot, Paul Boddie, Mark Vejvoda, Patrick Ulbrich, Lucia
> > Prado, Jon Ludlam, Kamil Ignacak, Mike McClurg, and Leo Iannacone into
> > our project!
> >
> >    55 : http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi
>
> Looks like a piece of information did not reach you. Perhaps for the
> next issue of the DPN: there are also news DDs, at least one for what I
> know, myself. :-)

Actually this is the point where _I_ have belly aches with the "New
Contributors" section of the DPN. (See the other recent thread about
this DPN section.)

When I first noticicing this section I guessed that these are all new
DDs. I think the phrase "welcome into our project" is quite ambiguous
and "new maintainers" is also ambiguous in some way (New DMs? First
time packagers? New in NM? -- Ok, that's New Member now, but that
still doesn't make it unambiguous. :-)

While I do think that it's nice to welcome also first time
(Continue reading)

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl | 10 Jan 10:00 2012

Re: Debian Project News - January 9th, 2012

Hi!

Am 10.01.2012 01:14, schrieb Axel Beckert:
[..]
> So I suggest to split this section up a little bit into more
> differentiated subsections, maybe called "First time contributors",
> "New in NM", "New DMs" and "Freshly-baked DDs" or so.

You mean to do it the way we usually do it, if there is some data to
fill in (and we don't forgot to update the template)?

See the template at
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/dpn/en/index.wml-template?revision=2928&view=markup
or http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#newcontributors for a
"real world" example.

Best regards,
  Alexander

Axel Beckert | 10 Jan 11:23 2012

Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> Am 10.01.2012 01:14, schrieb Axel Beckert:
> [..]
> > So I suggest to split this section up a little bit into more
> > differentiated subsections, maybe called "First time contributors",
> > "New in NM", "New DMs" and "Freshly-baked DDs" or so.
>
> You mean to do it the way we usually do it, if there is some data to
> fill in (and we don't forgot to update the template)?

:-)

> See [...] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#newcontributors
> for a "real world" example.

Yeah, that's very close to what I'd expected to see in this section.

Thanks for the hint that this edition was more like an exception and
not the common case.

		Regards, Axel

 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe <at> debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE
  `-    |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5

(Continue reading)

Axel Beckert | 10 Jan 14:03 2012
Face
Picon

Re: Debian Project News - January 9th, 2012

Hi again,

Axel Beckert wrote:
> > > So I suggest to split this section up a little bit into more
> > > differentiated subsections, maybe called "First time contributors",
> > > "New in NM", "New DMs" and "Freshly-baked DDs" or so.
> >
> > You mean to do it the way we usually do it, if there is some data to
> > fill in (and we don't forgot to update the template)?
>
> :-)
>
> > See [...] http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#newcontributors
> > for a "real world" example.
>
> Yeah, that's very close to what I'd expected to see in this section.

Just a short remark here: I haven't noticed that despite there were
suspected links to each list, not all links provided the information I
expected (namely the actual lists). So I think it would be good if
list of names in the end of the paragraph would have been splitted up
by type, too.

Thanks to Rhonda who pointed me on IRC to this.

		Regards, Axel

 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe <at> debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE
(Continue reading)

David Prévot | 10 Jan 16:38 2012

Le 09/01/2012 18:39, Tanguy Ortolo a écrit :

>> New Debian Contributors
>> -----------------------

> Looks like a piece of information did not reach you. Perhaps for the
> next issue of the DPN: there are also news DDs,

Yep, and also at least a new DM according to
<E1ReBKG-0007HS-Iw <at> franck.debian.org>. Unfortunately, the keyring
changelog has not been updated [0], or the way the keyring is handled
changed in the mean time (don't get me wrong: I assume the full
responsibility for not spotting the problem earlier when I updated this
part of the DPN, sorry about that).

Dear keyring maintainers, what would be the proper place to gather this
information in order to update our dpn/scripts/dd-dm-from-keyring.pl
script and avoid forgetting people in the future?

[0] http://anonscm.debian.org/loggerhead/keyring/debian-keyring/changes

Regards

David

Gmane