Evuraan | 13 Jan 00:38 2012
Picon

gnu screen - 40 windows limit?

gnu screen seems to let me open upto 40 windows. When I try for more, it says "No more windows." - is there a way we can override this limit?

many thanks in advance.

Scott Ferguson | 13 Jan 01:23 2012
Picon

Re: gnu screen - 40 windows limit?

On 13/01/12 10:38, Evuraan wrote:
> gnu screen seems to let me open upto 40 windows. When I try for more, it
> says "No more windows." - is there a way we can override this limit?
>
> many thanks in advance.

Strange...

What do you get from:-
$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/pty/max

I get 4096 on stock-ish Squeeze boxes. *If* max pty is your problem,
reset by:-
# nano /etc/sysctl.conf
edit the value for "kernel.pty.max"

Apply changes with:-
# sysctl -p

Note that ssh and other services also use pty - so 40 windows in screen
might be determined by how many other pty instances are in use.

Cheers

toor | 13 Jan 05:38 2012
Picon

Re: gnu screen - 40 windows limit?

I run across this issue as well.

I usually recompile screen to remove it. If you want to do it with
packages, make sure you have the dpkg-dev package installed (you will
need make etc. so also grab build-essential which may or may not be a
dependancy on dpkg-dev) and use 'apt-get source screen' to grab the
source for screen.

Extract the source (screen_4.0.3.orig.tar.gz). Make sure that you run
the patch after the archive is extracted to create the debian package
control files. Edit the config.h.in file and find this near the top:

# define MAXWIN 40

Change the 40 to what ever limit you want.

Rebuild the package using dpkg-buildpackage and then install the .dpkg
file over the top of your current screen installation. This will then
set the window limit to what ever you defined earlier.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Evuraan <evuraan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> gnu screen seems to let me open upto 40 windows. When I try for more, it
> says "No more windows." - is there a way we can override this limit?
>
> many thanks in advance.

Evuraan | 13 Jan 21:12 2012
Picon

Re: gnu screen - 40 windows limit?

thanks! that worked.

#ifndef MAXWIN
# define MAXWIN 409
#endif

:) I will never run out of sessions!

I threw in the vertical split as well,
http://torrez.us/archives/2009/02/24/579/

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM, toor <lists <at> 1337.mx> wrote:
> I run across this issue as well.
>
> I usually recompile screen to remove it. If you want to do it with
> packages, make sure you have the dpkg-dev package installed (you will
> need make etc. so also grab build-essential which may or may not be a
> dependancy on dpkg-dev) and use 'apt-get source screen' to grab the
> source for screen.
>
> Extract the source (screen_4.0.3.orig.tar.gz). Make sure that you run
> the patch after the archive is extracted to create the debian package
> control files. Edit the config.h.in file and find this near the top:
>
> # define MAXWIN 40
>
> Change the 40 to what ever limit you want.
>
> Rebuild the package using dpkg-buildpackage and then install the .dpkg
> file over the top of your current screen installation. This will then
> set the window limit to what ever you defined earlier.
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Evuraan <evuraan <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> gnu screen seems to let me open upto 40 windows. When I try for more, it
>> says "No more windows." - is there a way we can override this limit?
>>
>> many thanks in advance.

Gmane