Yongbo Zuo | 21 Jun 07:15 2013
Picon

Ethernet Card not detected

Hi All

Sorry to ask the question again, there was a problem for my subscript to the maillist.

I have built up my own pc, which has the GigaByte mother boarder Z87X-UD4H, and Intel i4770k CPU, and AMD HD7970 GPU.

When I intall Debian 7.0, wheezy, it cannot detect the ethernet card when detecting the hardwares after I select the "Graphical Install".

So, in this case, even I finish the installation, I cannot connect to the internet because of the lack of ethernet card.

And, I have win7 installed on another hard driver, and the network is working well in win7.

By the way, I think, Z87X-UD4H has integrated ethernet card.

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
Yongbo

Mr. Yongbo Zuo
Design Engineer 2
Advanced Micro Devices, MHDC, Fort Collins, CO
Master of Science
Computer Engineering in Virginia Tech
Phone: 5408087209
Mailing Address: 2950 E Harmony Rd, Suite 300, Fort Collins, CO 80528

--心有多坚
            ~ 路有多远!
Klaus | 21 Jun 10:12 2013
Picon

Re: Ethernet Card not detected

Please have a look at the Debian wiki: <http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware>
There are firmware packages in the Debian distribution, and Intel for
example also provides a tarball of drivers. Do you know which Ethernet
interface you have on-board your motherboard? In my case it looks like this:

$ lspci | grep -i ethernet
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)

--
Klaus

Yongbo Zuo | 21 Jun 17:52 2013
Picon

Re: Ethernet Card not detected

Hi

Thanks for your advise, I am a little lost here,
My motherboard has Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) for internet connection, I don't have an independent ethernet card that uses pci slot,
This is the specification of my motherboard:

I checked the firmware, I don't know which one is needed for Intel® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit),
should I get an independent ethernet card?
or should I download any driver from intel?

Sorry to bother so much, I am pretty new to linux.

[...]

Brian | 21 Jun 21:56 2013

On Fri 21 Jun 2013 at 09:52:31 -0600, Yongbo Zuo wrote:

> Thanks for your advise, I am a little lost here,

Without knowing exactly what the ethernet chip is we are all lost. :)

> My motherboard has Intel(R) GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) for internet
> connection, I don't have an independent ethernet card that uses pci slot,

It's of no consequence. lspci gives information on onboard devices too.
However, similar information should be available in Win7.

> This is the specification of my motherboard:
> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4488#sp
>

> I checked the firmware, I don't know which one is needed for Intel(R) GbE LAN
> chip (10/100/1000 Mbit),
> should I get an independent ethernet card?
> or should I download any driver from intel?

Assuming The specs are correct for the motherboard you possess, then
from

   http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

it would seem you need phanfw.bin, which is in the firmware-netxen
package. First check if the file is on your system already. In a terminal
type

   ls -l /lib/firmware

If it is not there, your easiest course of action is to reinstall. But
first download firmware-netxen from

   http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/firmware-netxen

and copy it to a USB stick. Insert the stick after starting the graphical
install. The file on the stick should be automatically found and used
when the interface is chosen and the network is configured by dhcp.

Reading the Installation Manual is also recommended.

Klaus | 21 Jun 22:18 2013
Picon

Re: Ethernet Card not detected

Dear Yongbo

lspci does not just show plugged in cards, but everything on the pci
bus. The on-board ethernet connector talks to the main cpu via the pci
bus, too.
So, please, boot into the new Debian install, and run the lspci command
as stated before.
Without knowing which ethernet connector you have it's difficult to know
what's missing. Have a look at the Intel site if you prefer to check the
lan spec from within Win7.
<http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008441.htm>

Klaus

On 21/06/13 16:52, Yongbo Zuo wrote:
> [...]
>
>         And, I have win7 installed on another hard driver, and the
>         network is
>         working well in win7.
>
>         By the way, I think, Z87X-UD4H has integrated ethernet card.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Kind Regards,
>         Yongbo
>
>         Mr. Yongbo Zuo
>         Design Engineer 2
>         Advanced Micro Devices, MHDC, Fort Collins, CO
>         Master of Science
>         Computer Engineering in Virginia Tech
>         Phone: 5408087209 <tel:5408087209>
>         Mailing Address: 2950 E Harmony Rd, Suite 300, Fort Collins, CO
>         80528
>
>         --心有多坚
>                       ~ 路有多远!
>

>     --
>     Klaus
>

>     --
>     <mailto:listmaster <at> lists.debian.org>

Yongbo Zuo | 22 Jun 01:15 2013
Picon

Re: Ethernet Card not detected

Hi

Thanks for the instructions,
I have checked the Ethernet interface on-board:

$lspci | grep -i ethernet
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 04)

And, I only get a folder called "hp" after
ls -l /lib/firmware

So, in this case, what package should I download then, please?

[...]

Klaus | 22 Jun 11:21 2013
Picon

Re: Ethernet Card not detected

Quick web search for "Intel i217-v linux" would have led you to

<https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15817&lang=eng&wapkw=i217-v>,
there is a README and there are installation instructions.

--
Klaus

Brian | 23 Jun 14:12 2013

On Sat 22 Jun 2013 at 10:21:22 +0100, Klaus wrote:

> Quick web search for "Intel i217-v linux" would have led you to
> <https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15817&lang=eng&wapkw=i217-v>,
> there is a README and there are installation instructions.

A quick

   /sbin/modinfo e1000e | grep author

would have indicated to you that the kernel already has this module. Why
send him off to get something which is already on his system and which
he would also have to compile?

Klaus | 23 Jun 17:03 2013

On 23/06/13 13:12, Brian wrote:
> On Sat 22 Jun 2013 at 10:21:22 +0100, Klaus wrote:
>
>> Quick web search for "Intel i217-v linux" would have led you to
>> <https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=15817&lang=eng&wapkw=i217-v>,
>> there is a README and there are installation instructions.
>
> A quick
>
>     /sbin/modinfo e1000e | grep author
>
> would have indicated to you that the kernel already has this module. Why
> send him off to get something which is already on his system and which
> he would also have to compile?

Brian, thanks for the info, sorry I didn't check that before. Also, I've
not downloaded the tar archive from the Intel site myself; I'd guessed
that it not only contains the kernel module, but additionally any
firmware binary needed for the card?

Klaus

Gmane