baslinux | 4 Jan 07:11 2010

Re: Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy

I spent the day installing BL3 to this computer.  (After my partner spent
yesterday fixing CMOS battery, keyboard, and power jack).

I had made a BL3.tgz of all the files on a working BL3 laptop on my USB
flash drive.  63MB (includes Opera 8 and 9, mplayer, timidity with lots of
patch files, netpbm, gs, zgv, dbclient....., glibc 2.2.5).  Original
pentium 1 2.2.26 kernel.  No USB.

Booted BL3 2-floppy (non-framebuffer), copied pcmcia network module to
floppy disk and inserted it from there.  Inserted fine but could not
contact the router.  Tried two known-good cards with known-good cables and
router.  (They worked in the adjacent laptop).  The same hardware worked
with Win98 on the Armada.  Why not in linux?  udhcpc and ping did not
connect.

It has a CD-ROM drive in the now-working base but I have not learned to
burn files to CD, just iso images or music CDs or copy CDs.

I could have used Win98 with browser on here and httpd or ftpd on another
computer.  The previous owner got all the hardware working by downloading
drivers for Win98.  The laptop came with Win95 in 1997.

Instead I attempted PLIP.  Everything worked on the Armada but not on
three other laptops.  HP would not insert parport_pc (and it works very
badly with a parport scanner).  Toshiba and Thinkpad did not have the
directory in /proc/ to which to copy IRQ 7 after inserting parport and
parport_pc.

PLIP is fussy.  I then tried DOS llpro.  After about 10 attempts with
random disconnects it transferred 2/3 of 63MB file then disconnected
(Continue reading)

baslinux | 4 Jan 17:31 2010

Toshiba PCMCIA/cardbus problem, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

Steven, do all your Toshibas work with (non-cardbus) pcmcia?

I attempted to transfer files to the Armada via network cable (using Win98
on the Armada since BL3 on there loads the pcmcia modules but the card
does not work after that - 98 loads modules automatically and it all
works) from a Toshiba 335CDS, 1997, 266MHz.

BL2 with my 2.4.31 kernel and pcmcia modules gave the message:
Toshiba ToPIC97 rev 20 PCI-toCardbus .... [no pci irq]
Did not detect the card.
Nor did BL3 loop or fd (original kernel and modules from Steven's site) .

According to the 115-page pcmcia forum on Toshiba laptops, they made their
own cardbus hardware which is 'somewhat quirky'.  ToPIC100 also a problem.

We fixed the pcmcia problem by changing BIOS PCIC from automatic to PCIC
(not 16-bit cardbus).  I think Steven has something similar.  Does it work
with BIOS set to 'auto'?

Before the fix, DSL linux started to load then went black.  Booted after
the fix.

Puppy does not work after the fix (on this or several other laptops).
Puppy 4.30 live CD starts to load then "ldm_validate_partition_table ():
Disk read failed.   Puppy 4.20 from hd with loadlin still does not load
its kernel.

No pcmcia problems on the Gateway 2000 200Mhz with early cardbus (but
cardbus there seems to be broken) or Toshiba 100Mhz without cardbus, or a
Toshiba 250Mhz with cardbus (which also works in Puppy with cardbus
(Continue reading)

baslinux | 4 Jan 19:25 2010

Re: Toshiba PCMCIA/cardbus problem, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

Message from Steven
===================

> Steven, do all your Toshibas work with (non-cardbus) pcmcia?

Yes.

> Toshiba ToPIC97 rev 20 PCI-toCardbus .... [no pci irq]
> Did not detect the card.
> According to the 115-page pcmcia forum on Toshiba laptops,
> they made their own cardbus hardware which is 'somewhat
> quirky'.  ToPIC100 also a problem.

None of my Toshibas do cardbus, so PCI-to-Cardbus is not
an issue.

Cheers,
Steven

baslinux-request <at> lists.ibiblio.org

baslinux | 4 Jan 20:25 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, baslinux <at> lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message from Steven
> ===================
>
>> Steven, do all your Toshibas work with (non-cardbus) pcmcia?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Toshiba ToPIC97 rev 20 PCI-toCardbus .... [no pci irq]
>> Did not detect the card.
>> According to the 115-page pcmcia forum on Toshiba laptops,
>> they made their own cardbus hardware which is 'somewhat
>> quirky'.  ToPIC100 also a problem.
>
> None of my Toshibas do cardbus, so PCI-to-Cardbus is not
> an issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

One laptop that you listed earlier supposedly has a switch in setup PCIC
between cardbus and non-cardbus.  Yours may be set already to non-cardbus.
What models of Toshiba do you have?  ESC-F1 is setup for 335CDS.

The Armada worked in Win98 with pcmcia network cards but not in BL3.
Opera 8.54 works in BL3 but not in Win98 (won't install).
Web research suggests adding pci_fast to i82365 because the CL6729
controller PCI bus speed exceeds 25MHz.

(Continue reading)

baslinux | 6 Jan 17:10 2010

Re: Toshiba PCMCIA/cardbus problem, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

> The Armada worked in Win98 with pcmcia network cards but not in BL3.
> Web research suggests adding pci_fast to i82365 because the CL6729
> controller PCI bus speed exceeds 25MHz.
>
> Do I
> insmod i82365 pci_fast=1
> in /etc/pcmcia/start ?
>
> Sindi

Adding pci_fast=1 fixed pcmcia.  I can connect with a router and also
dial with my 28.8K pulse-dial modem.

dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024k count=48
mkswap swapfile
swapon swapfile (place this line in rc)

mem showed only 14MB non-swap memory (kernel used 2MB)
I added to loadlin line mem=48M
Now it recognizes the 2x16MB added memory not only onboard 16MB.

This computer works perfectly with BL3.
Standard 2.2.26 kernel, Xvesa, sb sound.
(With 2.4.31 kernel I needed to compile sb into the kernel due to a bu,
but not with 2.2.26.)

Edit /etc/Xconfig for 800x600x4 (8-bit color LCD)
or change to SVGA X server.  No framebuffer video.
Cirrus Logic video and pcmcia controller.

(Continue reading)

baslinux | 6 Jan 23:54 2010

Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

> This computer works perfectly with BL3.

> Edit /etc/Xconfig for 800x600x4 (8-bit color LCD)
> or change to SVGA X server.  No framebuffer video.
> Cirrus Logic video and pcmcia controller.

Not quite perfect.

When I try to highlight text using Ctrl^ in pico (e3pi) in console or
X mode, I cannot see the highlighting (with or without red block cursor).
How can I fix this?

Backspace did not work in X until I added to .xinitrc the line:
xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = Backspace"
I think this should be standard for BL.  Backspace NEVER works.

I have glibc 2.2.5.

Opera 8 and 9 don't work in 256 colors.  6 works in mono but won't even
access fastmail (at least on a Mac).  7 takes more RAM than 8 and has ad
banners.  Opera is rather slow to load at 120MHz. This may be why Opera 8
for Win98 won't install.

Links (svgalib or Steven's BL3 X version) works fine, but when run in X it
turns the rest of X blue on blue (including the second workspace). Lynx
and elinks (which needs kernel 2.4) also work. Did not try netrik or
retawq (they are all available at cjb.net free shell accounts).

Dillo requires four libraries from gtk 2.1 which I don't have here.
(Continue reading)

baslinux | 8 Jan 17:45 2010

Upgrading BL3 X to libc6, was Re: Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

Rosegarden precompiled for libc5 is missing things.

The libc6 version wants a libc6 X, I think - undefined symbol _xstat for
libX11.so.6, relocation error.

I am not set up to compile for libc5 or X.

Steven, do you want to compile Rosegarden 2.1 for libc5?
If not, could you please post (at the BL site?) instructions how to
upgrade X from libc5 to libc6, with mention of what gets broken when you
do that.  Do jwm and magicpoint need libc5 X?  Abiword already works in
BL2 X with glibc 2.2.5.

Sindi Keesan

baslinux-request <at> lists.ibiblio.org

baslinux | 9 Jan 05:55 2010

Re: Upgrading BL3 X to libc6, was Re: Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

Rosegarden compiled for libc6, on BL3 with glibc 2.2.5 upgrade, complains
about libX11.so.6.  This and libSM are uclibc.   I have already replaced
the other X libraries with libc6 versions (probably glibc 2.2.5) so it is
probably the uclibc libraries which are missing something (because they
are too old or because uclibc is not as complete as the other libc's).

The xfree86 site has binaries for Xfree86 3.3.6 (367K Xlib) and 4.0 for
glibc 2.0 and 2.1 but not libc5.  4.1-4.4 has glibc 2.0-2.3 (4.4 is 861K
glibc 2.2.)

For Xfree86 4.5-4.7 it has Xlib.tgz for libc5 and glibc 2.0-2.4.
(libc5 4.7 is 876K).

There is not much size difference between libc5 and glibc 2.1, but
Xfree 3.3.6 is much smaller than 4.X - maybe smaller libraries or
fewer of them.

Steven, should I try replacing all the X libraries with libc5 versions of
4.5 or
4.7, or with glibc 2.0 or 2.1 versions of 3.3.6 or 4.4?  What might it
break in BL3.5 if I used glibc instead of libc5 X libraries?  MGP?  I
already have glibc 2.2.5 installed and need it for Rosegarden libc6 (libc5
version won't work).

Sindi Keesan

baslinux | 12 Jan 16:04 2010

Re: Upgrading BL3 X to libc6, was Re: Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

> There is not much size difference between libc5 and glibc 2.1, but
> Xfree 3.3.6 is much smaller than 4.X - maybe smaller libraries or
> fewer of them.

xfree's binary packages of X11.tgz do not contain libX11 - look in
xbin.tgz.

Slackware 4.0 libc5         libX11.so.6.0 533K  3.3.3.1 (I looked it up)
BL3.5 uclibc-static         libX11.so.6.1 586K  WHICH VERSION IS THIS?
Slackware 7.1 glibc213      libX11.so.6.1 767K  3.3.6
Xfree binary glibc21        libX11.so.6.1 764K  3.3.6
(Slackware 8.1 has 4.2.0).

No libc5 binary of 3.3.6 available.  Would it not compile with libc5?

I will try libX11.so.6.1 3.3.6 from Slackware 7.1 with Rosegarden in BL3.

How can we tell which version a library is (3.3.3 or 3.3.6....)?

> Steven, should I try replacing all the X libraries with libc5 versions of
> 4.5 or
> 4.7, or with glibc 2.0 or 2.1 versions of 3.3.6 or 4.4?  What might it
> break in BL3.5 if I used glibc instead of libc5 X libraries?  MGP?  I
> already have glibc 2.2.5 installed and need it for Rosegarden libc6 (libc5
> version won't work).
>

> Sindi Keesan
(Continue reading)

baslinux | 12 Jan 18:00 2010

Re: Upgrading BL3 X to libc6, was Re: Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

Sindi wrote:

http://www.xfree.org  precompiled binaries.  libc5 not available for older
versions.
Xbin.tgz contains libX*.so.*

Since Rosegarden needs six additional X libraries, I first installed
x-libs.tgz (glibc 2.3.1 X libraries?).

> I will try libX11.so.6.1 from Slackware 7.1 with Rosegarden in BL3.
X segfaults.

With the Xfree 4.2 libc5 version X starts.
Rosegarden segfaults.

This Rosegarden works with BL2 (and libX11.so.6.1 from Slackware 7.1).

Stephen, would you mind compiling Rosegarden 2.1 for BL3.5/libc5?

I might switch to BL2.  Is there any freeware midi sequencer for Win98?

Sindi

baslinux | 13 Jan 20:01 2010

Re: Upgrading BL3 X to libc6, was Re: Need help with Rosegarden app-defaults file, was Re: Compaq Armada 4120

> Stephen, would you mind compiling Rosegarden 2.1 for BL3.5/libc5?

I was trying to use a precompiled rpm which could not find its files.

I moved the config file from app-defaults to /root and edited it to point
at the other files, which I put into /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/lib/....

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/rosegarden-2.0.1-1.libc5.tgz

pkg it after installing x-libs (or just the relevant libs - ldd).
Seems to work now.  Editor and help anyway.

Whoever packaged the rpm did not edit the config file to match.

I cannot find Lee's description of how to change BL3 X to libc6.

The Armada cannot find any pcmcia sockets, SOME of the time.

With external monitor it should run Opera.  Internal only does 8-bit
color.  svgalib detects only 256 colors.

Sindi

baslinux | 6 Jan 18:36 2010

Re: Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy

> Xvesa works.  No framebuffer support.

Wrong.  Xvesa segfaults (standard BL3 Xvesa - did not try others).
Standard SVGA server works.

Download and pkg no-xvesa.tgz (from BL3 site)

Copy XF86_SVGA from Slackware 4 tgz package to /usr/X11R6/bin
ln -s XF86_SVGA X  (or install the whole package)

edit /etc/XF86Config to change "Microsoft" to "PS/2"
(Steven can you please make PS/2 the default or at least put
#Protocol "PS/2" on the next line as a hint.  All my BL-capable
laptops have PS/2 mice.  Or set no-xvesa.tgz script to recognize
the mouse chosen by Xsetup in Xconfig.)

X works now, full screen.

Console mode has 1" black stripes top and
bottom.  Since this kernel dropped vga=ask support,
in DOS I set
mode con lines=43 or 50
which gives more lines but still black stripes (2" at bottom for 50
lines)

Usable as is but cursor is hard to find.
I changed the cursor in rc to red blinking square.

echo -e '\033[?17;0;64c'
(Might need to do it for each console).
(Continue reading)

baslinux | 8 Jan 04:48 2010

Re: Compaq Armada 4120 very very slow boot from floppy

Compaq LTE5280 (part of LT5000 series), 120MHz, 16MB RAM onboard plus
2x32MB = 80 MB, 3.2GB hard drive (originally 1.3GB), floppy in a multibay
(which can also take battery or CD-ROM drive).  Was originally sold with a
base station containing two multibays and NIC (not present).  Has Win95
and the remains of Win31.  March 1996.  We have a 486 LTE.  This series
must predate the Armadas.  The 4120 I think is 1997.

Same speed as Compaq Armada 4120 (48MB RAM= 16 + 2x16 added) and Compaq
Armada 1510 (32MB RAM - 16 + 16 added?), which both have 8-bit color.
The LTE5280 has 16-bit color, a nice TFT screen, and enough RAM for Opera.
(CPU speed might slow it down, not good for Firefox). Have not tried Xvesa
because I cannot get the standard 2-floppy BL3 to boot.  The 4120 has
black strips top and bottom, and the LTE 1" black margins in text mode
which someone fixed with SVGAtext mode (more lines) but I will ignore.

Another 10 min boot of the first disk of my framebuffer version of BL3.5
2-floppy.  The 4120 booted faster from standard BL3.5.  This one won't
boot from it at all due to Machine Check Exception error (pages and pages
of it), the same as Compaq Armada 1510 (120MHz) and 1573 (233MHz, with
USB).  My modified BL3 includes nomce in lilo (which any future BL based
on 2.2.26 should have).  (I did not try the 1-floppy USB syslinux BL which
did not boot on the 4120, and there is no CD-ROM drive to try live CDs.)

The 4120 found pcmcia network and modem cards but would not connect until
I modified pcmcia start (insmod i82365 fast_pci=1).  This one has no such
problems.  Like the 4120, sb pro sound.  Dual speakers in the screen
itself for better stereo sound (aimed at you).

Apart from lack of CD-ROM drive (we have a pcmcia one) and what someone
else also considered a crummy keyboard (hit it hard) this is an ideal