Michael Haberler | 1 Nov 10:10 2012
Picon

Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai

I got LinuxCNC 2.5 to run on an x86 with Xenomai kernel threads, by replacing RTAI calls by their Xenomai equivalents.

Initial results look promising. This is still unpolished and not ready for a merge yet - I'm publishing this
at this stage to enable feedback.

- Michael

---README.Xenomai from
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git/shortlog/refs/heads/xenomai-integration-mah-kernel --

LinuxCNC on Xenomai
-------------------

This is a development snapshot of LinuxCNC running on Xenomai 3.2.21 with kernel threads; note that
eventually also the Xenomai user thread branch will be merged as this is the proposed route by the Xenomai
road map.

Status
------
As of now, this has been tried on x86 only. ARM and others might need some work on header files (some inline
assembly) and the rtapi_math_i386.h code needs to be ported to ARM, or replaced by library routines from src/rtapi/xeno_math.

Build requisites:
-----------------

You need:
- a machine running Ubuntu 10.04 lts
- a 3.2.21 kernel with Xenomai 2.6.1 patches applied (see below for packages)
- the Xenomai 2.6.1 userland support package configured with --enable-dlopen-skins
- a grub configuration which grants Xenomai permissions to your userid
(Continue reading)

Gene Heskett | 1 Nov 16:34 2012

Re: Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai

On Thursday 01 November 2012 11:25:45 Michael Haberler did opine:

> I got LinuxCNC 2.5 to run on an x86 with Xenomai kernel threads, by
> replacing RTAI calls by their Xenomai equivalents.
>
> Initial results look promising. This is still unpolished and not ready
> for a merge yet - I'm publishing this at this stage to enable feedback.
>
> - Michael
>

> ---README.Xenomai from
> http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git/shortlog/refs/heads/xenomai-
> integration-mah-kernel --
>

> LinuxCNC on Xenomai
> -------------------
>
> This is a development snapshot of LinuxCNC running on Xenomai 3.2.21
> with kernel threads; note that eventually also the Xenomai user thread
> branch will be merged as this is the proposed route by the Xenomai road
> map.
>

> Status
> ------
> As of now, this has been tried on x86 only. ARM and others might need
> some work on header files (some inline assembly) and the
> rtapi_math_i386.h code needs to be ported to ARM, or replaced by
(Continue reading)

Kent A. Reed | 1 Nov 21:09 2012
Picon

On 11/1/2012 5:10 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> I got LinuxCNC 2.5 to run on an x86 with Xenomai kernel threads, by replacing RTAI calls by their Xenomai equivalents.
>
> Initial results look promising. This is still unpolished and not ready for a merge yet - I'm publishing
this at this stage to enable feedback.

> - Michael
>

> ---README.Xenomai from
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git/shortlog/refs/heads/xenomai-integration-mah-kernel --

Wunderbar, Michael, and a tip of the hat to you.

I want to try this on the same boards that gave me trouble with the
PREEMPT_RT work from Charles.

Gotta run to pick up my wife from yet another appointment, but one thing
jumped out at me...

> <...>
> Build requisites:
> -----------------
>
> You need:
> - a machine running Ubuntu 10.04 lts
> - a 3.2.21 kernel with Xenomai 2.6.1 patches applied (see below for packages)
> - the Xenomai 2.6.1 userland support package configured with --enable-dlopen-skins
> - a grub configuration which grants Xenomai permissions to your userid
(Continue reading)

Michael Haberler | 1 Nov 21:32 2012
Picon

Am 01.11.2012 um 21:09 schrieb Kent A. Reed:

> On 11/1/2012 5:10 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
>> I got LinuxCNC 2.5 to run on an x86 with Xenomai kernel threads, by replacing RTAI calls by their Xenomai equivalents.
>>
>> Initial results look promising. This is still unpolished and not ready for a merge yet - I'm publishing
this at this stage to enable feedback.

>> - Michael
>>

>> ---README.Xenomai from
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git/shortlog/refs/heads/xenomai-integration-mah-kernel --

> Wunderbar, Michael, and a tip of the hat to you.
>
> I want to try this on the same boards that gave me trouble with the
> PREEMPT_RT work from Charles.
>
> Gotta run to pick up my wife from yet another appointment, but one thing
> jumped out at me...
>

>> <...>
>> Build requisites:
>> -----------------
>>
>> You need:
>> - a machine running Ubuntu 10.04 lts
(Continue reading)

Kent A. Reed | 2 Nov 02:06 2012
Picon

Re: Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai

On 11/1/2012 5:10 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> I got LinuxCNC 2.5 to run on an x86 with Xenomai kernel threads, by replacing RTAI calls by their Xenomai equivalents.
>
> Initial results look promising. This is still unpolished and not ready for a merge yet - I'm publishing
this at this stage to enable feedback.

> - Michael

1. So I tried first with a Pentium4 system that happened to be close at
hand. It's the Dell Dimension 2400 system I long ago posted to the
Latency Test Results table on the Wiki. It's running LinuxCNC 2.6.0-pre
built on top of Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

Result? No go. The .deb files based on the 3.2.21 kernel all seemed to
install but no initrd.img-3.2.21-xenomai+ file was created and the
system goes into a slumber when I try to boot into the 3.2.21-xenomai+
kernel.

2. Next, I tried an ASUS NB305 netbook (dual-core Atom N450) on which I
recently installed Linux Mint 13. This netbook isn't really a candidate
for LinuxCNC but it happened to be idling contently next to me so I
thought I'd use it to look at the initrd problem.

Result? No problem here. Boots into the 3.2.21-xenomai+ kernel without a
hitch. I presume this means the postinst.d scripts ran on this machine
but not on the P4 machine. I haven't installed LinuxCNC on this machine
(yet) so can't quote any latency results comparable to yours.
(Continue reading)

Michael Haberler | 2 Nov 10:18 2012
Picon

Re: Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai

Kent,

thanks for giving it a stab; I might have some tunnel vision by now and be missing the obvious.

Am 02.11.2012 um 02:06 schrieb Kent A. Reed:

> On 11/1/2012 5:10 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
>> I got LinuxCNC 2.5 to run on an x86 with Xenomai kernel threads, by replacing RTAI calls by their Xenomai equivalents.
>>
>> Initial results look promising. This is still unpolished and not ready for a merge yet - I'm publishing
this at this stage to enable feedback.

>> - Michael
>>

> 1. So I tried first with a Pentium4 system that happened to be close at
> hand. It's the Dell Dimension 2400 system I long ago posted to the
> Latency Test Results table on the Wiki. It's running LinuxCNC 2.6.0-pre
> built on top of Ubuntu 10.04LTS.
>
> Result? No go. The .deb files based on the 3.2.21 kernel all seemed to
> install but no initrd.img-3.2.21-xenomai+ file was created and the
> system goes into a slumber when I try to boot into the 3.2.21-xenomai+
> kernel.

Sorry, I forgot to document this; it's in the README.xenomai now.
(Continue reading)

Kent A. Reed | 2 Nov 13:50 2012
Picon

On 11/2/2012 5:18 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> Kent,
>
> thanks for giving it a stab; I might have some tunnel vision by now and be missing the obvious.

Not a problem. The whole point of you posting this was to get other eyes
to look at it. [It always amazed me that I could proofread a
presentation several times but yet not see an obvious error until the
moment I displayed it to an audience.] To paraphrase a local reviewer of
television shows, I go through this so others don't have to.

> Sorry, I forgot to document this; it's in the README.xenomai now.
>
> the dpkg* tools in (at lucid) are _very_ outdated and sometimes fail to create an initrd image; on precise
it seems to work for me.

> I added this:

Thanks. I had started to read up on this dpkg stuff last night but was
too tired to get very far.

I'll try a bit later today.

Regards,
Kent

Kent A. Reed | 2 Nov 15:26 2012
Picon

Re: Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai - part 2

On 11/2/2012 5:18 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> I added this:
>
> Verify initrd has been created
> ------------------------------
>
> The lucid dpkg & friends tools are very outdated, and fail to create
> an initramfs after the above  'dpkg -i *.deb' step.
>
> Depending on your installation, this might have happened or not.
> See if this has happened:
>
> $ ls -l /boot/initrd.img-3.2.21-xenomai+
>
> If this file does not exist, create it manually as root like so
>
> # update-initramfs -c -k 3.2.21-xenomai+

and then, still as root, one must update grub to include the newly
generated initrd.img-3.2.21-xenomai+ file

# update-grub

> Now reboot, and Xenomai should come up. Verify this by:
>
> $ dmesg |grep Xenomai
> [    3.250972] I-pipe: head domain Xenomai registered.
> [    3.340753] Xenomai: hal/i386 started.
> [    3.410749] Xenomai: scheduling class idle registered.
(Continue reading)

Gene Heskett | 2 Nov 16:42 2012

Re: Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai - part 2

On Friday 02 November 2012 11:19:38 Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 11/2/2012 5:18 AM, Michael Haberler wrote:
> > I added this:
> >
> > Verify initrd has been created
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > The lucid dpkg & friends tools are very outdated, and fail to create
> > an initramfs after the above  'dpkg -i *.deb' step.
> >
> > Depending on your installation, this might have happened or not.
> > See if this has happened:
> >
> > $ ls -l /boot/initrd.img-3.2.21-xenomai+
> >
> > If this file does not exist, create it manually as root like so
> >
> > # update-initramfs -c -k 3.2.21-xenomai+
>
> and then, still as root, one must update grub to include the newly
> generated initrd.img-3.2.21-xenomai+ file
>
> # update-grub
>
> > Now reboot, and Xenomai should come up. Verify this by:
> >
> > $ dmesg |grep Xenomai
> > [    3.250972] I-pipe: head domain Xenomai registered.
> > [    3.340753] Xenomai: hal/i386 started.
(Continue reading)

Kent A. Reed | 2 Nov 23:39 2012
Picon

Re: libqt4-dbus, was Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai - part 2

On 11/2/2012 11:42 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Here, it may come even quicker.  Some update in the last week has broken
> libqt4-dbus, and from my googling last night, it appears to be a common
> 12.04 problem, AND according to apt-get's attempts to fetch it for a
> reinstall, it has been deleted from the 10-04 repos.

It still shows up on the Ubuntu website
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libqt4-dbus

Regards,
Kent

http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein12331_d2d
Gene Heskett | 3 Nov 02:01 2012

Re: libqt4-dbus, was Preview: LinuxCNC 2.5 on Xenomai - part 2

On Friday 02 November 2012 20:54:40 Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 11/2/2012 11:42 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Here, it may come even quicker.  Some update in the last week has
> > broken libqt4-dbus, and from my googling last night, it appears to be
> > a common 12.04 problem, AND according to apt-get's attempts to fetch
> > it for a reinstall, it has been deleted from the 10-04 repos.
>
> It still shows up on the Ubuntu website
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libqt4-dbus

I had to add another line to my sources.list, and do an apt-get update
before synaptic would show it to me with the reinstall option, which I did,
and rebooted too, but that didn't fix it.  Not only that, the delete key
has become a destructive backspace, deleting the character to the left
instead of the one its on.  Unrelated I'm sure, but its still a PIMA.
And, only in a terminal, not in kmail where it works 100% normally.
snilmerg?  DarnedifIknow.