roystonvasey | 13 Jul 06:45 2010

Overo boot from USB

Goodday List,
Is it possible to boot an Overo from a USB stick plugged into the OTG port
configured as host?
If so how should the USB stick be formatted and partitioned (same as micro
SD) and are there any MLO or u-boot changes to be made?
I'm looking for a better way of doing field upgrades, the micro SD cards are
not very good for our fat fingered maintenance chaps.

Cheers Mike.

Benny B. Simonsen | 13 Jul 10:41 2010

Re: Overo boot from USB

I hope your "fat fingered maintenance chaps" don't subscribe to this list ;)
An "easy" way to do it would be to put a compressed image on  a USB stick and let the unit boot on the NAND partition when you have to upgrade. A simple script could then unpack the image directly to the micro SD and you don't need to remove it.
It will require that you can change u-boot environment from your running system so that it will boot on NAND at the next boot (or change a u-boot script that is loaded on each boot).

BR
Benny

Is it possible to boot an Overo from a USB stick plugged into the OTG port
configured as host?
If so how should the USB stick be formatted and partitioned (same as micro
SD) and are there any MLO or u-boot changes to be made?
I'm looking for a better way of doing field upgrades, the micro SD cards are
not very good for our fat fingered maintenance chaps.

Cheers Mike.
Søren Steen Christensen | 13 Jul 13:22 2010
Picon

Re: Overo boot from USB

While I agree 100% to what Benny writes, I feel that I for future reference will add, that the OMAP can’t boot directly from an USB mass storage device. You need to use some kind of technique like the one suggested by Benny…

Best regards - Good luck

  Søren

---

SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

[...]

roystonvasey | 13 Jul 22:38 2010

Re: Overo boot from USB

Thanks for the information chaps.
Unfortunately the units are running from NAND. The upgrade process at  the
moment is to pop an SD card into to the Overo, press reset and the Overo
boots from SD which in turn runs a script to upgrade the NAND.
The units are vehicle based and getting the SD cards in & out is difficult
(we are loosing quite a few).
I guess I could write something to detect a USB stick, look for IPKs and
then install them.

Cheers Mike.

Søren Steen Christensen wrote:

> While I agree 100% to what Benny writes, I feel that I for future
> reference
> will add, that the OMAP can’t boot directly from an USB mass storage
> device.
> You need to use some kind of technique like the one suggested by Benny…
>

> Best regards - Good luck
>
>   Søren
>

> ---
>
> SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark -  <http://www.ssc-solutions.dk/>
> www.ssc-solutions.dk

Søren Steen Christensen | 13 Jul 22:46 2010
Picon

Re: Overo boot from USB

Hi Mike,

> I guess I could write something to detect a USB stick,
> look for IPKs and then install them.

This is pretty much similar to what we did for SW update of our products :-)

Good luck
  Søren

---
SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

J. L. | 13 Jul 22:51 2010
Picon

Re: Overo boot from USB

Sorry for the dumb question here but would it just be a script that
would basically do a ipkg update from the USB stick and wont check the
net if your overo is connected to the internet? If so any someone
wants to take the time could you post a simple example of how to
achieve that please. Thanks

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Søren Steen Christensen
<lists <at> ssc-solutions.dk> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
>> I guess I could write something to detect a USB stick,
>> look for IPKs and then install them.
>
> This is pretty much similar to what we did for SW update of our products :-)
>
> Good luck
>  Søren
>
> ---
> SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

Søren Steen Christensen | 13 Jul 23:25 2010
Picon

Re: Overo boot from USB

> Sorry for the dumb question here but would it just be a script that
> would basically do a ipkg update from the USB stick and wont check the
> net if your overo is connected to the internet? If so any someone
> wants to take the time could you post a simple example of how to
> achieve that please. Thanks
You could do it as you suggest with ipkg :-)

What we did was creating a special "SW update" mode. When this is activated
the device will search for a given (encrypted and signed - for security
reasons) file on a mass storage drive. If this is found it will install the
updated SW based on the content of this file.

I do unfortunately not have a complete example I can post (since we did it
for a customer), but the above two lines should pretty much highlight the
main idea of the needed steps...

Best regards
  Søren

---
SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

roystonvasey | 14 Jul 06:20 2010

Re: Overo boot from USB

Thanks for further insight.
I'm now looking at putting the deploy IPK directory onto the USB stick and
then running an opkg update/install against it.
This seems to work well I just need to automate the process.

I also need to to test the practicalities of upgrading the Linux image
(uImage) in NAND while the system is running out of NAND!
Any ideas?

Cheers Mike.

Søren Steen Christensen wrote:

>> Sorry for the dumb question here but would it just be a script that
>> would basically do a ipkg update from the USB stick and wont check the
>> net if your overo is connected to the internet? If so any someone
>> wants to take the time could you post a simple example of how to
>> achieve that please. Thanks
> You could do it as you suggest with ipkg :-)
>
> What we did was creating a special "SW update" mode. When this is
> activated
> the device will search for a given (encrypted and signed - for security
> reasons) file on a mass storage drive. If this is found it will install
> the
> updated SW based on the content of this file.
>
> I do unfortunately not have a complete example I can post (since we did it
> for a customer), but the above two lines should pretty much highlight the
> main idea of the needed steps...
>
> Best regards
>   Søren
>
> ---
> SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

Benny B. Simonsen | 14 Jul 11:25 2010

Re: Overo boot from USB

I'm not completely sure that you can use nandwrite to update uImage while running from NAND, but guess so. Check http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Writing-images-to-onboard-nand/111.html
It will however leave you without a kernel if something goes wrong during update so I would recommend that you make an extra partition for an extra kernel. Will require some changes because of a new NAND layout and an u-boot script that can switch to the backup kernel if the primary is deleted. If it's fairly easy to insert a SD card in case the update should fail it will be ok to skip the backup kernel.

BR
Benny

2010/7/14 roystonvasey <mikestocks <at> madasafish.com>

Thanks for further insight.
I'm now looking at putting the deploy IPK directory onto the USB stick and
then running an opkg update/install against it.
This seems to work well I just need to automate the process.

I also need to to test the practicalities of upgrading the Linux image
(uImage) in NAND while the system is running out of NAND!
Any ideas?

Cheers Mike.

Søren Steen Christensen wrote:

>> Sorry for the dumb question here but would it just be a script that
>> would basically do a ipkg update from the USB stick and wont check the
>> net if your overo is connected to the internet? If so any someone
>> wants to take the time could you post a simple example of how to
>> achieve that please. Thanks
> You could do it as you suggest with ipkg :-)
>
> What we did was creating a special "SW update" mode. When this is
> activated
> the device will search for a given (encrypted and signed - for security
> reasons) file on a mass storage drive. If this is found it will install
> the
> updated SW based on the content of this file.
>
> I do unfortunately not have a complete example I can post (since we did it
> for a customer), but the above two lines should pretty much highlight the
> main idea of the needed steps...
>
> Best regards
>   Søren
>
> ---
> SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

Søren Steen Christensen | 15 Jul 16:45 2010
Picon

Re: Overo boot from USB

Hi Benny and Mike,

> I'm not completely sure that you can use nandwrite to update uImage while
running from NAND, but guess so.
I can confirm that you can do this – No problem. When the kernel is first
loaded into RAM it put no requirements on the original NAND location. One
warning though: The partition containing x-laoder is normally marked
read-only. In case you need to update this as well you would need to change
this to Read/Write... :-)

Secondly: I 100% agree and recommend on the method of having a backup kernel
in case update fails during the process. When updating the kernel, as well
remember that you might need to update the modules in the file system as
well...

Good luck
  Søren

---