Ludovic Courtès | 8 Nov 17:51 2011
Picon

Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

Hello Nixers!

You’re already using an alternative distro, but you’re getting tired of
using such a mainstream OS?  Then, this is for you:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/hurd-master/qemu_image/latest/download

A cross-built QEMU image of GNU (aka. GNU/Hurd), the extensible
operating system designed for user freedom.

This is not a NixOS GNU/Hurd image; it’s much more raw.  It currently
only contains a few core tools, all cross-built with Nix/Nixpkgs, and
the user gets dropped at a Bash prompt when it boots.

Eventually the real goal is to run builds and test suites of GNU
software on GNU/Hurd in a VM on Hydra, to complement what’s already
done:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/project/gnu

The Nix expression for the image is at:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hydra-recipes.git/tree/hurd/release.nix

Join the fun!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Sander van der Burg - EWI | 8 Nov 18:02 2011

Re: Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

Although I'm not sure if I'm going to switch to this as a primary OS, I have to say:

very nice work! :)
You’re already using an alternative distro, but you’re getting tired of
using such a mainstream OS?  Then, this is for you:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/hurd-master/qemu_image/latest/download

A cross-built QEMU image of GNU (aka. GNU/Hurd), the extensible
operating system designed for user freedom.

This is not a NixOS GNU/Hurd image; it’s much more raw.  It currently
only contains a few core tools, all cross-built with Nix/Nixpkgs, and
the user gets dropped at a Bash prompt when it boots.

Eventually the real goal is to run builds and test suites of GNU
software on GNU/Hurd in a VM on Hydra, to complement what’s already
done:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/project/gnu

(Continue reading)

Lluís Batlle i Rossell | 8 Nov 18:55 2011

Re: Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

Don't you want to reuse anything from nanonixos? It has sysvinit, a simple rc
script, and multiple ttys. :)

https://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/cgi-bin/nanonixos

I've not tried your image, but I'm sure it's nice work. So, only GPLv3 software
there running? Or are there some "flaws"? ;)

Regards,
Lluís

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 05:51:24PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Nixers!
>
> You’re already using an alternative distro, but you’re getting tired of
> using such a mainstream OS?  Then, this is for you:
>
>   http://hydra.nixos.org/job/gnu/hurd-master/qemu_image/latest/download
>
> A cross-built QEMU image of GNU (aka. GNU/Hurd), the extensible
> operating system designed for user freedom.
>
> This is not a NixOS GNU/Hurd image; it’s much more raw.  It currently
> only contains a few core tools, all cross-built with Nix/Nixpkgs, and
> the user gets dropped at a Bash prompt when it boots.
>
> Eventually the real goal is to run builds and test suites of GNU
> software on GNU/Hurd in a VM on Hydra, to complement what’s already
> done:

(Continue reading)

Ludovic Courtès | 9 Nov 12:53 2011
Picon

Re: Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

Saluton!

Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric <at> viric.name> skribis:

> Don't you want to reuse anything from nanonixos? It has sysvinit, a simple rc
> script, and multiple ttys. :)

Actually I don’t think I need anything this sophisticated for now.  ;-)

Furthermore, regarding ttys, the Hurd has a fancy console, which isn’t
enabled yet in the image, but that would be the way to go.

> I've not tried your image, but I'm sure it's nice work. So, only GPLv3 software
> there running? Or are there some "flaws"? ;)

It turns out that the Hurd itself is still GPLv2+.  :-)

But anyway, that wasn’t the goal of this image; the goal is to test the
OS and applications (cross-)built for it.

Thanks,
Ludo’.
Lluís Batlle i Rossell | 10 Nov 11:21 2011

Re: Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

Sal!

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 12:53:22PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric <at> viric.name> skribis:
>
> > Don't you want to reuse anything from nanonixos? It has sysvinit, a simple rc
> > script, and multiple ttys. :)
>
> Actually I don’t think I need anything this sophisticated for now.  ;-)

It's not very sofisticated :)

> > I've not tried your image, but I'm sure it's nice work. So, only GPLv3 software
> > there running? Or are there some "flaws"? ;)
>
> It turns out that the Hurd itself is still GPLv2+.  :-)

Ah, I didn't expect that. When will we have a OS with GPLv3+ only?

> But anyway, that wasn’t the goal of this image; the goal is to test the
> OS and applications (cross-)built for it.

Ok!
Btw, does it fail now?
http://hydra.nixos.org/build/1544014

Ludovic Courtès | 10 Nov 17:43 2011
Picon

Re: Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

Hi,

Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric <at> viric.name> skribis:

> Btw, does it fail now?

No it doesn’t.  :-)

I’ve been tweaking it so that it really boots up to the normal login
prompt, things like that, so it’s getting better everyday!

Ludo’.
Lluís Batlle i Rossell | 10 Nov 18:02 2011

Re: Nix-based GNU/Hurd image!

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 05:43:09PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric <at> viric.name> skribis:
>
> > Btw, does it fail now?
>
> No it doesn’t.  :-)
>
> I’ve been tweaking it so that it really boots up to the normal login
> prompt, things like that, so it’s getting better everyday!

Ah, the slight difference between tweaking and breaking! ;)

Great! Good work!