Tomasz Jadowski | 24 Jan 09:39 2013
Picon

Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

Hi,

I have one of CubieBoard http://cubieboard.org - a small computer like
Rasberry Pi and I'm thinking it is open, free hardware? Anyone know it?
How I can check it?

And if is open hardware can I ported Trisquel on it? How?

All the best
Tom

Tomasz Jadowski
web developer & Linux administrator
http://tomasz.jadowski.net
jadowski@...
GPG(0xCEB934C2): 1163 2EF8 C6B8 E90C DDFC  827E C131 27F6 CEB9 34C2
bitcoin: 162Tndk4uwu2DKeHRAXHDLPT98zpdJH5Cy
Quiliro Ordóñez | 24 Jan 11:01 2013

Re: Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

El 24/01/13 03:39, Tomasz Jadowski escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I have one of CubieBoard http://cubieboard.org - a small computer like
> Rasberry Pi and I'm thinking it is open, free hardware? Anyone know it?

- Does the boot process of the Cubieboard involve any closed-source
firmware or software? (For example, in the Raspberry Pi, the first stage
bootloader is a large impossible-to-audit closed-source binary that runs
on the GPU.)

No. Cubieboard has open source bootloader, native u-boot spport, both
u-boot-spl and u-boot.

- Aside from hardware video rendering and 3D graphics, can the
Cubieboard be used at its fullest potential (including non-accelerated
video output) without any closed-source firmware or software? If not,
what parts require such closed-source firmware or software?

Yes, everything is open source except the hardware decoder and the 3D
gpu, and the this RE of these are listed as the high priority project of
FSF.
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/reverse-engineering

- Does the documentation cover the hardware well enough to allow the
writing of alternative homebrew toy operating systems?
Yes, we have A10 manual available, which has register guide.

Copied from http://cubieboard.org/about/#comment-1252

(Continue reading)

Quiliro Ordóñez | 24 Jan 11:14 2013

Re: Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

>> And if is open hardware can I ported Trisquel on it? How?
> You will have to use a distro that is ported to A10 processor. Then you
> will have to clean it off for non-free software.

You could possibly use Replicant http://replicant.us/ It is ported to
A10 (that I believe). Replicant is aiming to be aproved as a free distro
by the FSF.

Saludos libres,

Quiliro Ordóñez
Presidente (en conjunto con el resto de socios)
Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE
Av de la Prensa N58-219 y Cristóbal Vaca de Castro
Quito, Ecuador
(593)2-600 8579

Todo correo que reciba será tratado como información pública, de libre copia y modificación, sin
importar cualquier nota de confidencialidad.
Michał Masłowski | 24 Jan 11:27 2013
Picon

Re: Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

> You could possibly use Replicant http://replicant.us/ It is ported to
> A10 (that I believe). Replicant is aiming to be aproved as a free distro
> by the FSF.

It isn't (although should be easy to if the CPU is fast enough: Android
is designed to use hardware 3d acceleration and doesn't work well
without it on slower devices, this should be easier on GNU/Linux with
X).  The question suggested looking for a GNU/Linux distro, probably not
much work is needed that would be the same for it and Replicant.
Michał Masłowski | 24 Jan 11:24 2013
Picon

Re: Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

>> How I can check it?
>
> You would have to make your own distro.
>
>> And if is open hardware can I ported Trisquel on it? How?
>
> You will have to use a distro that is ported to A10 processor. Then you
> will have to clean it off for non-free software.

Ubuntu is a well-known distro supporting A10 (not sure about the kernel
which shouldn't be more difficult if it doesn't), maybe the scripts used
for Trisquel development can be adapted for it.

The reason why this is not done yet is that no Trisquel developer has
such a device, not many both work with free software and are easy to
buy.  (Lack of free 3d acceleration or free boot firmware might also
discourage us from supporting some devices; this is a common argument in
case of Parabola.)
Jason Self | 24 Jan 17:20 2013
Picon

Re: Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

> I'm thinking it is open, free hardware?

Copied from http://cubieboard.org/about/#comment-1252
"Aside from hardware video rendering and 3D graphics"

That tells me that it's not.
David Rodríguez Álvarez | 17 Feb 16:04 2013

Re: Trisquel on ARM cubieboard?

Hi, Tom!

First of all, sorry for the long delayed answer to your message, we've
been working hard on various aspects of the project, and we're now
reviewing our unanswered mail queue.

With regards to your question, an ARM version of Triquel has been in our
to-do list for quite a long time, but it's a pretty big project, and we
always have the problem that it's hard to know which hardware would be
supported, as with many of these devices many people are content with an
"almost free" solution which includes some non-free pieces for stuff
ranging from minor features support to the entire boot process.

When the time comes to work in ARM support, we'll make sure to contact
people like you with access to the actual hardware to check for support,
and meanwhile, please enjoy the imminent x86 release :-)

Best regards and happy hacking,

David.