At Santos | 1 Oct 14:04 2010
Picon

trying to set tx power (using txpower option)

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding setting txpower.

I noticed that the new version of iw (0.9.21) has the option to set txpower but I couldn't get it to work for fixed/limit.

$ sudo iw wlan0 set txpower fixed 20
command failed: Operation not supported (-95)

Should I still be using iwconfig to set txpower?  If so, I wanted to know the granularity of the txpower option.
Using iwconfig wlan0 shows txpower to nearest dBm - is this rounding just for display purposes?
or is the txpower only actually set to whole numbers of dBm even when entering values in mW?

Regards

Atsan

At Santos | 8 Oct 11:46 2010
Picon

Re: trying to set tx power (using txpower option)

Hi,

Still waiting for some help - how do I set the tx power?

Regards

Atsan

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding setting txpower.

I noticed that the new version of iw (0.9.21) has the option to set txpower but I couldn't get it to work for fixed/limit.

$ sudo iw wlan0 set txpower fixed 20
command failed: Operation not supported (-95)

Should I still be using iwconfig to set txpower?  If so, I wanted to know the granularity of the txpower option.
Using iwconfig wlan0 shows txpower to nearest dBm - is this rounding just for display purposes?
or is the txpower only actually set to whole numbers of dBm even when entering values in mW?

Regards

Atsan

Peter Stuge | 8 Oct 13:12 2010

At Santos wrote:
> Still waiting for some help - how do I set the tx power?

I think you'll have to keep waiting.

From the lack of response I would guess that it is simply not
possible with the driver at this point.

As a side note, no, iwconfig should not be used for anything anymore.

//Peter
Luis R. Rodriguez | 8 Oct 17:27 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Peter Stuge <peter <at> stuge.se> wrote:
> At Santos wrote:
>> Still waiting for some help - how do I set the tx power?
>
> I think you'll have to keep waiting.
>
> From the lack of response I would guess that it is simply not
> possible with the driver at this point.
>
> As a side note, no, iwconfig should not be used for anything anymore.

Actually, you can set tx power with iw now:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Setting_TX_power

I will note you will need 2.6.36, or compat-wireless-2.6.36, otherwise
you have to use iwconfig, setting txpower with nl80211 was only added
as of 2.6.36.

  Luis
At Santos | 8 Oct 18:23 2010
Picon

Re: trying to set tx power (using txpower option)

> Actually, you can set tx power with iw now:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Setting_TX_power
>
> I will note you will need 2.6.36, or compat-wireless-2.6.36, otherwise
> you have to use iwconfig, setting txpower with nl80211 was only added
> as of 2.6.36.
>
> Luis

Thanks for the response.

I'm running with compat-wireless-2.6.36-rc3-1 and I'm finding that iw
doesn't work with fixed or limit:

$ sudo iw wlan0 set txpower fixed 20
command failed: Operation not supported (-95)

So it seems it's broken at the moment.
To where should I report the bug?

Luis R. Rodriguez | 8 Oct 18:45 2010
Picon

Re: [ath9k-devel] trying to set tx power (using txpower option)

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM, At Santos <atsan@...> wrote:

>> Actually, you can set tx power with iw now:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Setting_TX_power
>>
>> I will note you will need 2.6.36, or compat-wireless-2.6.36, otherwise
>> you have to use iwconfig, setting txpower with nl80211 was only added
>> as of 2.6.36.
>>
>> Luis
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'm running with compat-wireless-2.6.36-rc3-1 and I'm finding that iw
> doesn't work with fixed or limit:
>
> $ sudo iw wlan0 set txpower fixed 20
> command failed: Operation not supported (-95)
>
> So it seems it's broken at the moment.
> To where should I report the bug?

You can use bugzilla.kernel.org please report it there and we can fix
it. I can't look into right now though as I'm looking into another
issue. If someone else has cycles it would be appreciated.

  Luis

Ben Greear | 8 Oct 18:48 2010

On 10/08/2010 09:45 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM, At Santos<atsan@...>  wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, you can set tx power with iw now:
>>>
>>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw#Setting_TX_power
>>>
>>> I will note you will need 2.6.36, or compat-wireless-2.6.36, otherwise
>>> you have to use iwconfig, setting txpower with nl80211 was only added
>>> as of 2.6.36.
>>>
>>> Luis
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> I'm running with compat-wireless-2.6.36-rc3-1 and I'm finding that iw
>> doesn't work with fixed or limit:
>>
>> $ sudo iw wlan0 set txpower fixed 20
>> command failed: Operation not supported (-95)
>>
>> So it seems it's broken at the moment.
>> To where should I report the bug?
>
> You can use bugzilla.kernel.org please report it there and we can fix
> it. I can't look into right now though as I'm looking into another
> issue. If someone else has cycles it would be appreciated.

I might be able to work on this, in wireless-testing tree at least.

Thanks,
Ben

>    Luis

Ben Greear <greearb@...>

Luis R. Rodriguez | 8 Oct 18:52 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 09:48:48AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> >> Thanks for the response.
> >>
> >> I'm running with compat-wireless-2.6.36-rc3-1 and I'm finding that iw
> >> doesn't work with fixed or limit:
> >>
> >> $ sudo iw wlan0 set txpower fixed 20
> >> command failed: Operation not supported (-95)
> >>
> >> So it seems it's broken at the moment.
> >> To where should I report the bug?
> >
> > You can use bugzilla.kernel.org please report it there and we can fix
> > it. I can't look into right now though as I'm looking into another
> > issue. If someone else has cycles it would be appreciated.
>
> I might be able to work on this,

awesome, thanks!

> in wireless-testing tree at least.

All development is assumed to take places on wireless-testing.git anyway, and
to send a fix for older kernels we first must address it there so indeed
its always the right place to do development, even for stable.

  Luis

Ben Greear | 8 Oct 19:07 2010

On 10/08/2010 09:52 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 09:48:48AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

>>> You can use bugzilla.kernel.org please report it there and we can fix
>>> it. I can't look into right now though as I'm looking into another
>>> issue. If someone else has cycles it would be appreciated.
>>
>> I might be able to work on this,
>
> awesome, thanks!
>
>> in wireless-testing tree at least.
>
> All development is assumed to take places on wireless-testing.git anyway, and
> to send a fix for older kernels we first must address it there so indeed
> its always the right place to do development, even for stable.

This doesn't seem to be an ath9k issue.

Well, the command fails because of this check (mbm is 20 in his case)
cfg.c:
	case NL80211_TX_POWER_FIXED:
		if (mbm < 0 || (mbm % 100))
			return -EOPNOTSUPP;

That mbm % 100 looks quite strange to me..any idea what that is supposed to
accomplish?

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@...>

Johannes Berg | 8 Oct 19:12 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 10:07 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> Well, the command fails because of this check (mbm is 20 in his case)
> cfg.c:
> 	case NL80211_TX_POWER_FIXED:
> 		if (mbm < 0 || (mbm % 100))
> 			return -EOPNOTSUPP;
>
> That mbm % 100 looks quite strange to me..any idea what that is supposed to
> accomplish?

There's a later division by 100 to go from mBm to dBm ... I think you
want 2000, not 20.

johannes

Ben Greear | 8 Oct 19:24 2010

On 10/08/2010 10:12 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 10:07 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> Well, the command fails because of this check (mbm is 20 in his case)
>> cfg.c:
>> 	case NL80211_TX_POWER_FIXED:
>> 		if (mbm<  0 || (mbm % 100))
>> 			return -EOPNOTSUPP;
>>
>> That mbm % 100 looks quite strange to me..any idea what that is supposed to
>> accomplish?
>
> There's a later division by 100 to go from mBm to dBm ... I think you
> want 2000, not 20.

Well, it's documented in iw to be 'mBm', though I surely wouldn't have known
what that stood for (nothing useful shows up on google for 'mBm units').

Thanks,
Ben

> johannes

Ben Greear <greearb@...>

Johannes Berg | 8 Oct 19:28 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 10:24 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> > There's a later division by 100 to go from mBm to dBm ... I think you
> > want 2000, not 20.
>
> Well, it's documented in iw to be 'mBm', though I surely wouldn't have known
> what that stood for (nothing useful shows up on google for 'mBm units').

Suck. I don't even know why we did that in iw though, couldn't we have
used dBm floats?

johannes

Ben Greear | 8 Oct 19:38 2010

On 10/08/2010 10:28 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 10:24 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>>> There's a later division by 100 to go from mBm to dBm ... I think you
>>> want 2000, not 20.
>>
>> Well, it's documented in iw to be 'mBm', though I surely wouldn't have known
>> what that stood for (nothing useful shows up on google for 'mBm units').
>
> Suck. I don't even know why we did that in iw though, couldn't we have
> used dBm floats?

Looks like this iw change has been out there a while.

Maybe change iw:

*  If value is < 100, assume it's dBm and convert for user.
    * Warn them?

*  If it's a float, convert to dBm for user.

Otherwise, leave it as is.

For what it's worth, 'iwconfig' works as is (using dBm units).

Thanks,
Ben

> johannes

Ben Greear <greearb@...>

Ben Greear | 8 Oct 19:38 2010

Re: trying to set tx power (using txpower option)

On 10/08/2010 10:28 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 10:24 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>>> There's a later division by 100 to go from mBm to dBm ... I think you
>>> want 2000, not 20.
>>
>> Well, it's documented in iw to be 'mBm', though I surely wouldn't have known
>> what that stood for (nothing useful shows up on google for 'mBm units').
>
> Suck. I don't even know why we did that in iw though, couldn't we have
> used dBm floats?

Looks like this iw change has been out there a while.

Maybe change iw:

*  If value is < 100, assume it's dBm and convert for user.
    * Warn them?

*  If it's a float, convert to dBm for user.

Otherwise, leave it as is.

For what it's worth, 'iwconfig' works as is (using dBm units).

Thanks,
Ben

> johannes

Ben Greear <greearb <at> candelatech.com>
David Lamparter | 8 Oct 19:41 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 10:24:50AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 10:12 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 10:07 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> >
> >> Well, the command fails because of this check (mbm is 20 in his case)
> >> cfg.c:
> >> 	case NL80211_TX_POWER_FIXED:
> >> 		if (mbm<  0 || (mbm % 100))
> >> 			return -EOPNOTSUPP;
> >>
> >> That mbm % 100 looks quite strange to me..any idea what that is supposed to
> >> accomplish?
> >
> > There's a later division by 100 to go from mBm to dBm ... I think you
> > want 2000, not 20.
>
> Well, it's documented in iw to be 'mBm', though I surely wouldn't have known
> what that stood for (nothing useful shows up on google for 'mBm units').

d-B-m is deci-Bel-milliWatt, so a mBm ostensibly is a
milli-Bel-milliWatt...

(yes, the "m" really encodes "mW"...)

-David
David Willmore | 8 Oct 20:00 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM, David Lamparter <equinox@...> wrote:
> d-B-m is deci-Bel-milliWatt, so a mBm ostensibly is a
> milli-Bel-milliWatt...
>
> (yes, the "m" really encodes "mW"...)

The value is a "Power", so the base unit of Watts is implicit.

This particular unit has always confused the heck out of me.
It's *not* milli-Bel-milliWatt or the division would be by 1000,
so it's really centi-Bel-milliWatt, no?

Cheers,
David

Johannes Berg | 8 Oct 20:05 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 14:00 -0400, David Willmore wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM, David Lamparter <equinox@...> wrote:
> > d-B-m is deci-Bel-milliWatt, so a mBm ostensibly is a
> > milli-Bel-milliWatt...
> >
> > (yes, the "m" really encodes "mW"...)
>
> The value is a "Power", so the base unit of Watts is implicit.
>
> This particular unit has always confused the heck out of me.
> It's *not* milli-Bel-milliWatt or the division would be by 1000,
> so it's really centi-Bel-milliWatt, no?

No, the d in dB already means it's 1/10 B, and mB is (was meant to be)
1/1000 B -- so the conversion factor is 100.

johannes

David Willmore | 9 Oct 01:10 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Johannes Berg <johannes@...> wrote:
> No, the d in dB already means it's 1/10 B, and mB is (was meant to be)
> 1/1000 B -- so the conversion factor is 100.

I stand corrected!  Well said.

Cheers,
David