. .m. | 26 Dec 20:19 2010
Picon

ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA

My first post, please feel free to criticize.

I have bought mentioned USB stick, I saw some note about HOST AP mode for win,
but I sadly found I am not able to run master (AP) mode under linux (compat-wireless 2010-12-14)

I did some wifi driver development some time ago - and I would love to help develop
access point code for this USB

please point me in the right direction.

thanks a lot
best regards
mulisak

Mohammed Shafi | 27 Dec 05:28 2010
Picon

Re: ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA

2010/12/27 . .m. <mulisak <at> hotmail.com>:
> My first post, please feel free to criticize.
> I have bought mentioned USB stick, I saw some note about HOST AP mode for
> win,
> but I sadly found I am not able to run master (AP) mode under linux
> (compat-wireless 2010-12-14)

AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Mohammed Shafi <shafi.ath9k <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/12/27 . .m. <mulisak <at> hotmail.com>:
>> My first post, please feel free to criticize.
>> I have bought mentioned USB stick, I saw some note about HOST AP mode for
>> win,
>> but I sadly found I am not able to run master (AP) mode under linux
>> (compat-wireless 2010-12-14)
>
> AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html

Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
know if you are interested in doing some verification.

>> I did some wifi driver development some time ago - and I would love to help
>> develop
>> access point code for this USB
>> please point me in the right direction.
>> thanks a lot
>> best regards
>> mulisak

Robert Szentmihalyi | 27 Dec 08:52 2010

Re: ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA

Hi,

On Montag, 27. Dezember 2010, Senthilkumar Balasubramanian wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Mohammed Shafi <shafi.ath9k <at> gmail.com>
wrote:
> > 2010/12/27 . .m. <mulisak <at> hotmail.com>:
> >> My first post, please feel free to criticize.
> >> I have bought mentioned USB stick, I saw some note about HOST AP mode
> >> for win,
> >> but I sadly found I am not able to run master (AP) mode under linux
> >> (compat-wireless 2010-12-14)
> >
> > AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html
>
> Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
> are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
> of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
> know if you are interested in doing some verification.

I am also interested in AP mode support for htc.
I will gladly help to test the patches.

> >> I did some wifi driver development some time ago - and I would love to
> >> help develop
> >> access point code for this USB
> >> please point me in the right direction.
> >> thanks a lot
> >> best regards
> >> mulisak

Regards,
 Robert

--
Robert Szentmihályi
Technischer Leiter

Helvetica IT AG
Bahnhofstrasse 15
CH-8890 Flums SG

Tel +41 81 733 15 67
Fax +41 81 733 15 68
Mobil +41 79 252 97 80

Niederlassung Deutschland:
Leopoldstrasse 244
DE-80807 München

Tel +49 89 20 80 39 508

http://www.helvetica-it.com
C Anthony Risinger | 11 Jan 10:25 2011

Senthilkumar Balasubramanian <senthil.balasubramanian <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html
> >

> Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
> are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
> of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
> know if you are interested in doing some verification.

I too am very interested in the development of htc AP functionality; i
bought a TL-WN722N device specifically for this knowing full well the
drivers weren't done yet :-)

any updates on this front?

impatiently waiting patiently,

C Anthony
Sujith | 11 Jan 10:50 2011

C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> Senthilkumar Balasubramanian <senthil.balasubramanian <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
> > > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html
> > >

> > Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
> > are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
> > of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
> > know if you are interested in doing some verification.
>
> I too am very interested in the development of htc AP functionality; i
> bought a TL-WN722N device specifically for this knowing full well the
> drivers weren't done yet :-)

There are a few issues with PS-buffering which requires modifications in the firmware.
Hopefully, something will be posted soon.

Sujith
. .m. | 16 Jan 19:26 2011
Picon

Re: ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA

Dear all,
I bought this USB stick with "supports AP mode" advertisement in mind.
I am sad that AP works on windows only :(
Is there any progress so I can test the latest bleeding edge linux drivers ?
thanks a lot.
and all the best in the year 2011 !
.m.

> From: m.sujith <at> gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:20:40 +0530
> To: anthony <at> extof.me
> CC: ath9k-devel <at> lists.ath9k.org
> Subject: Re: [ath9k-devel] ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA
>
> C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> > > >

> > > Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
> > > are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
> > > of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
> > > know if you are interested in doing some verification.
> >
> > I too am very interested in the development of htc AP functionality; i
> > bought a TL-WN722N device specifically for this knowing full well the
> > drivers weren't done yet :-)
>
> There are a few issues with PS-buffering which requires modifications in the firmware.
> Hopefully, something will be posted soon.
>
> Sujith
Jorge Luis | 19 Jan 02:00 2011

Re: ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA

Senthilkumar Balasubramanian <senthil.balasubramanian <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Mohammed Shafi <shafi.ath9k <at> gmail.com>
wrote:
> > 2010/12/27 . .m. <mulisak <at> hotmail.com>:
> >> My first post, please feel free to criticize.
> >> I have bought mentioned USB stick, I saw some note about HOST AP mode for
> >> win,
> >> but I sadly found I am not able to run master (AP) mode under linux
> >> (compat-wireless 2010-12-14)
> >
> > AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html
> >

> Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
> are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
> of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
> know if you are interested in doing some verification.
>
> >> I did some wifi driver development some time ago - and I would love to help
> >> develop
> >> access point code for this USB
> >> please point me in the right direction.
> >> thanks a lot
> >> best regards
> >> mulisak

Hello,
I own a TL-WN722N, applied the patch (1/2) and
I'm able to associate to the device in AP mode with hostapd.

I can even authenticate in WPA2 mode,
which I can't do with a ralink rt2870 based device
that is supposed to work properly in AP mode
The traffic throughput also seems fine.

Can you explain what are the limitations of not having the
buffering mode working?

For what I can understand, that only affects clients with
power saving enabled.
Is this correct?

Regards
Mohammed Shafi | 20 Jan 12:12 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Jorge Luis <ath9k <at> luisnet.com> wrote:
> Senthilkumar Balasubramanian <senthil.balasubramanian <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Mohammed Shafi <shafi.ath9k <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > AP mode is yet to be supported in htc. Please refer to this
>> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg52239.html
>> >

>> Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
>> are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
>> of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
>> know if you are interested in doing some verification.

> Hello,
> I own a TL-WN722N, applied the patch (1/2) and
> I'm able to associate to the device in AP mode with hostapd.
>
> I can even authenticate in WPA2 mode,
> which I can't do with a ralink rt2870 based device
> that is supposed to work properly in AP mode
> The traffic throughput also seems fine.
>
> Can you explain what are the limitations of not having the
> buffering mode working?
>
> For what I can understand, that only affects clients with
> power saving enabled.
> Is this correct?

Yes correct, developers are working to bring that in firmware to make
it perfect.

> Regards

C Anthony Risinger | 20 Jan 21:14 2011

Re: ath9k_htc in master mode / 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n / USB TP-Link TL-WN722N / detachable antenna - RSMA

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Mohammed Shafi
<shafi.wireless <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Jorge Luis <ath9k <at> luisnet.com> wrote:
>> Senthilkumar Balasubramanian <senthil.balasubramanian <at> gmail.com> writes:

>>> Sujith's patches can be used to test basic AP mode functionality. We
>>> are working on addressing the buffering mode cleanly and the new set
>>> of patches should be available by first week of January 2011. Let me
>>> know if you are interested in doing some verification.
>>
>> Can you explain what are the limitations of not having the
>> buffering mode working?
>>
>> For what I can understand, that only affects clients with
>> power saving enabled.
>> Is this correct?
>
> Yes correct, developers are working to bring that in firmware to make
> it perfect.

i have the same USB device (TL-WN722N) as well.  i'd like to try the
simpler patches in my home network... what are the consequences of not
properly handling power save mode?  i have multiple android phones
that i'm guessing make use of this feature; does it simply translate
to dropped/missed packets, or something more?

thanks,

C Anthony
Jorge Luis | 20 Jan 22:39 2011

On 20 Jan 2011 20:14, "C Anthony Risinger" <anthony <at> extof.me> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Mohammed Shafi
> <shafi.wireless <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can you explain what are the limitations of not having the
> >> buffering mode working?
> >>
> >> For what I can understand, that only affects clients with
> >> power saving enabled.
> >> Is this correct?
> >
> > Yes correct, developers are working to bring that in firmware to make
> > it perfect.
>
> i have the same USB device (TL-WN722N) as well.  i'd like to try the
> simpler patches in my home network... what are the consequences of not
> properly handling power save mode?  i have multiple android phones
> that i'm guessing make use of this feature; does it simply translate
> to dropped/missed packets, or something more?
>
> thanks,
>
> C Anthony

Hi,
I have been testing it with an HTC desire and the device disconnect and reconects every 10 seconds unless there is an active data connection.
It's not usable

Mohammed Shafi | 21 Jan 08:31 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Jorge Luis <jorge <at> luisnet.com> wrote:

> On 20 Jan 2011 20:14, "C Anthony Risinger" <anthony <at> extof.me> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Mohammed Shafi
>> <shafi.wireless <at> gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Yes correct, developers are working to bring that in firmware to make
>> > it perfect.
>>
>> i have the same USB device (TL-WN722N) as well.  i'd like to try the
>> simpler patches in my home network... what are the consequences of not
>> properly handling power save mode?  i have multiple android phones
>> that i'm guessing make use of this feature; does it simply translate
>> to dropped/missed packets, or something more?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> C Anthony
>
> Hi,
> I have been testing it with an HTC desire and the device disconnect and
> reconects every 10 seconds unless there is an active data connection.
> It's not usable

*Hi please use the latest wireless testing which has some important fixes.
* Sujith had also sent RFC patches to mailing list for enabling AP
mode with the updated firmware.
Jorge Luis | 21 Jan 16:22 2011

On 01/21/2011 07:31 AM, Mohammed Shafi wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Jorge Luis<jorge <at> luisnet.com>  wrote:
>> On 20 Jan 2011 20:14, "C Anthony Risinger"<anthony <at> extof.me>  wrote:

>>> i have the same USB device (TL-WN722N) as well.  i'd like to try the
>>> simpler patches in my home network... what are the consequences of not
>>> properly handling power save mode?  i have multiple android phones
>>> that i'm guessing make use of this feature; does it simply translate
>>> to dropped/missed packets, or something more?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> C Anthony
>> Hi,
>> I have been testing it with an HTC desire and the device disconnect and
>> reconects every 10 seconds unless there is an active data connection.
>> It's not usable
> *Hi please use the latest wireless testing which has some important fixes.
> * Sujith had also sent RFC patches to mailing list for enabling AP
> mode with the updated firmware.
Hello,
I have applied the patches that Sujith posted last night with the latest
compat drivers and my HTC now works without issues.
I have also loaded it with 6 more stations and it worked fine for a
while but after a few minutes I got a kernel trace.
The system is an IBM T61 with Fedora14 i386 and the latest packages.
Trace bellow:

[ 3472.324853] ------------[ cut here ]------------
[ 3472.324915] WARNING: at
/tmp/wireless/compat-wireless-2011-01-20/net/mac80211/tx.c:57
ieee80211_duration+0x54/0x1b9 [mac80211]()
[ 3472.324923] Hardware name: 7661W81
[ 3472.324928] Modules linked in: tcp_lp 8021q garp bridge stp llc
ath9k_htc ath9k_common ath9k_hw ath fuse deflate zlib_deflate rfcomm ctr
camellia cast5 rmd160 crypto_null sco bnep l2cap ccm serpent blowfish
twofish twofish_common xcbc sha512_generic des_generic geode_aes ah6 ah4
esp6 esp4 xfrm4_mode_beet xfrm4_tunnel tunnel4 xfrm4_mode_tunnel
xfrm4_mode_transport xfrm6_mode_transport xfrm6_mode_ro xfrm6_mode_beet
xfrm6_mode_tunnel ipcomp ipcomp6 xfrm_ipcomp xfrm6_tunnel tunnel6 af_key
vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv sunrpc cpufreq_ondemand acpi_cpufreq mperf
ip6t_REJECT nf_conntrack_ipv6 ip6table_filter ip6_tables ipv6 uinput
arc4 ecb iwl3945 iwlcore mac80211 btusb cfg80211 snd_hda_codec_analog
bluetooth snd_hda_intel compat thinkpad_acpi snd_hda_codec rfkill
snd_hwdep snd_seq snd_seq_device microcode snd_pcm snd_timer wmi snd
joydev snd_page_alloc iTCO_wdt e1000e soundcore iTCO_vendor_support
i2c_i801 sha256_generic aes_i586 aes_generic cbc dm_crypt firewire_ohci
yenta_socket firewire_core crc_itu_t i915 drm_kms_helper drm
i2c_algo_bit i2c_core video output [last unloaded: scsi_wait_scan]
[ 3472.325133] Pid: 0, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.i686 #1
[ 3472.325140] Call Trace:
[ 3472.325155]  [<c0439435>] warn_slowpath_common+0x6a/0x7f
[ 3472.325208]  [<fb0e4ab3>] ? ieee80211_duration+0x54/0x1b9 [mac80211]
[ 3472.325220]  [<c043945e>] warn_slowpath_null+0x14/0x18
[ 3472.325272]  [<fb0e4ab3>] ieee80211_duration+0x54/0x1b9 [mac80211]
[ 3472.325316]  [<fb0d43d8>] ? ieee80211_crypto_tkip_encrypt+0xcf/0x12e
[mac80211]
[ 3472.325366]  [<fb0e5e24>] invoke_tx_handlers+0xbbc/0xc45 [mac80211]
[ 3472.325417]  [<fb0e4f10>] ? ieee80211_tx_prepare+0x2f8/0x332 [mac80211]
[ 3472.325469]  [<fb0e5f14>] ieee80211_tx+0x67/0x196 [mac80211]
[ 3472.325481]  [<c045e27d>] ? __raw_local_irq_save+0x19/0x1e
[ 3472.325497]  [<fd718899>] ? ath9k_rx_tasklet+0x77/0x415 [ath9k_htc]
[ 3472.325552]  [<fb0e6df2>] ieee80211_tx_pending+0xe8/0x1d0 [mac80211]
[ 3472.325563]  [<c043e452>] tasklet_action+0x6e/0xb9
[ 3472.325572]  [<c043e876>] __do_softirq+0xa9/0x14a
[ 3472.325581]  [<c043e94a>] do_softirq+0x33/0x3d
[ 3472.325589]  [<c043eb53>] irq_exit+0x31/0x64
[ 3472.325599]  [<c0404c0c>] do_IRQ+0x7d/0x91
[ 3472.325608]  [<c04038f0>] common_interrupt+0x30/0x38
[ 3472.325618]  [<c04500d8>] ? run_posix_cpu_timers+0x494/0x55d
[ 3472.325631]  [<c0614522>] ? raw_local_irq_enable+0xa/0x10
[ 3472.325640]  [<c06151bf>] acpi_idle_enter_bm+0x235/0x26c
[ 3472.325652]  [<c06f4240>] cpuidle_idle_call+0x6e/0xc1
[ 3472.325661]  [<c040214c>] cpu_idle+0x8e/0xaf
[ 3472.325671]  [<c07a2b86>] start_secondary+0x241/0x281
[ 3472.325693] ---[ end trace 969c737f8b39fc5f ]---

Regards,
Jorge Luís

Attachment (smime.p7s): application/pkcs7-signature, 7551 bytes
Mohammed Shafi | 21 Jan 16:55 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Jorge Luis <jorge <at> luisnet.com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 07:31 AM, Mohammed Shafi wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I have been testing it with an HTC desire and the device disconnect and
>>> reconects every 10 seconds unless there is an active data connection.
>>> It's not usable
>>
>> *Hi please use the latest wireless testing which has some important fixes.
>> * Sujith had also sent RFC patches to mailing list for enabling AP
>> mode with the updated firmware.
>
> Hello,
> I have applied the patches that Sujith posted last night with the latest
> compat drivers and my HTC now works without issues.
> I have also loaded it with 6 more stations and it worked fine for a while
> but after a few minutes I got a kernel trace.

Don't know because of the patch or it was there before itself.
Anyway thanks!

> [...]
> [ 3472.325497]  [<fd718899>] ? ath9k_rx_tasklet+0x77/0x415 [ath9k_htc]
> [ 3472.325552]  [<fb0e6df2>] ieee80211_tx_pending+0xe8/0x1d0 [mac80211]
> [ 3472.325563]  [<c043e452>] tasklet_action+0x6e/0xb9
> [ 3472.325572]  [<c043e876>] __do_softirq+0xa9/0x14a
> [ 3472.325581]  [<c043e94a>] do_softirq+0x33/0x3d
> [ 3472.325589]  [<c043eb53>] irq_exit+0x31/0x64
> [ 3472.325599]  [<c0404c0c>] do_IRQ+0x7d/0x91
> [ 3472.325608]  [<c04038f0>] common_interrupt+0x30/0x38
> [ 3472.325618]  [<c04500d8>] ? run_posix_cpu_timers+0x494/0x55d
> [ 3472.325631]  [<c0614522>] ? raw_local_irq_enable+0xa/0x10
> [ 3472.325640]  [<c06151bf>] acpi_idle_enter_bm+0x235/0x26c
> [ 3472.325652]  [<c06f4240>] cpuidle_idle_call+0x6e/0xc1
> [ 3472.325661]  [<c040214c>] cpu_idle+0x8e/0xaf
> [ 3472.325671]  [<c07a2b86>] start_secondary+0x241/0x281
> [ 3472.325693] ---[ end trace 969c737f8b39fc5f ]---

Sujith | 21 Jan 16:56 2011

Jorge Luis wrote:
> [...]
> [ 3472.325497]  [<fd718899>] ? ath9k_rx_tasklet+0x77/0x415 [ath9k_htc]
> [ 3472.325552]  [<fb0e6df2>] ieee80211_tx_pending+0xe8/0x1d0 [mac80211]
> [ 3472.325563]  [<c043e452>] tasklet_action+0x6e/0xb9
> [ 3472.325572]  [<c043e876>] __do_softirq+0xa9/0x14a
> [ 3472.325581]  [<c043e94a>] do_softirq+0x33/0x3d
> [ 3472.325589]  [<c043eb53>] irq_exit+0x31/0x64
> [ 3472.325599]  [<c0404c0c>] do_IRQ+0x7d/0x91
> [ 3472.325608]  [<c04038f0>] common_interrupt+0x30/0x38
> [ 3472.325618]  [<c04500d8>] ? run_posix_cpu_timers+0x494/0x55d
> [ 3472.325631]  [<c0614522>] ? raw_local_irq_enable+0xa/0x10
> [ 3472.325640]  [<c06151bf>] acpi_idle_enter_bm+0x235/0x26c
> [ 3472.325652]  [<c06f4240>] cpuidle_idle_call+0x6e/0xc1
> [ 3472.325661]  [<c040214c>] cpu_idle+0x8e/0xaf
> [ 3472.325671]  [<c07a2b86>] start_secondary+0x241/0x281
> [ 3472.325693] ---[ end trace 969c737f8b39fc5f ]---

What's your setup ? Can you post your hostapd config ?

Are the stations in legacy mode or HT mode ? Is any station using
powersave ? What kind of traffic is being run ?

The line in question is from net/mac80211/tx.c:

	/* uh huh? */
	if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
		return 0;

Dunno what that "uh huh?" is supposed to mean.

Sujith
Mohammed Shafi | 21 Jan 17:07 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Sujith <m.sujith <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> [ 3472.325608]  [<c04038f0>] common_interrupt+0x30/0x38
>> [ 3472.325618]  [<c04500d8>] ? run_posix_cpu_timers+0x494/0x55d
>> [ 3472.325631]  [<c0614522>] ? raw_local_irq_enable+0xa/0x10
>> [ 3472.325640]  [<c06151bf>] acpi_idle_enter_bm+0x235/0x26c
>> [ 3472.325652]  [<c06f4240>] cpuidle_idle_call+0x6e/0xc1
>> [ 3472.325661]  [<c040214c>] cpu_idle+0x8e/0xaf
>> [ 3472.325671]  [<c07a2b86>] start_secondary+0x241/0x281
>> [ 3472.325693] ---[ end trace 969c737f8b39fc5f ]---
>
> What's your setup ? Can you post your hostapd config ?
>
> Are the stations in legacy mode or HT mode ? Is any station using
> powersave ? What kind of traffic is being run ?
>
> The line in question is from net/mac80211/tx.c:
>
>        /* uh huh? */
>        if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
>                return 0;
>
> Dunno what that "uh huh?" is supposed to mean.

may be should we put WARN-ON after checking this flag IEEE80211_TX_RC_MCS

like this was done

if (info->control.rates[i].flags & IEEE80211_TX_RC_MCS)
                       WARN_ON(info->control.rates[i].idx > 76);

> Sujith

Jorge Luis | 21 Jan 17:17 2011

On 01/21/2011 03:56 PM, Sujith wrote:
> [...]
>> [ 3472.325608]  [<c04038f0>] common_interrupt+0x30/0x38
>> [ 3472.325618]  [<c04500d8>] ? run_posix_cpu_timers+0x494/0x55d
>> [ 3472.325631]  [<c0614522>] ? raw_local_irq_enable+0xa/0x10
>> [ 3472.325640]  [<c06151bf>] acpi_idle_enter_bm+0x235/0x26c
>> [ 3472.325652]  [<c06f4240>] cpuidle_idle_call+0x6e/0xc1
>> [ 3472.325661]  [<c040214c>] cpu_idle+0x8e/0xaf
>> [ 3472.325671]  [<c07a2b86>] start_secondary+0x241/0x281
>> [ 3472.325693] ---[ end trace 969c737f8b39fc5f ]---
> What's your setup ? Can you post your hostapd config ?
>
> Are the stations in legacy mode or HT mode ? Is any station using
> powersave ? What kind of traffic is being run ?
>
> The line in question is from net/mac80211/tx.c:
>
> 	/* uh huh? */
> 	if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx<  0))
> 		return 0;
>
> Dunno what that "uh huh?" is supposed to mean.

Hi Sujith,
The environment is all legacy. No HT features enabled.
I believe there is at least one station running powersave, because I got
this message from hostapd:
wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb IEEE 802.11: authenticated
wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 2)
wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb RADIUS: starting accounting session
4D39A118-00000001
wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (WPA)
wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local
deauth request
Data/PS-poll frame from not associated STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb
Data/PS-poll frame from not associated STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb

The wireless interface is running bridged with a VLAN ethernet interface.
Traffic is mostly ssh and some http and it's bellow 500 kbps
We have another AP (Cisco) running with the same SSID on a different
channel and stations hop between them both without problems.
Since this is our office, I immediately switched of the hostap when I
got this message to avoid disrupting my colleagues work. But I can
repeat the test on Monday if you like.
hostapd config bellow:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=3
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0

wpa=1
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
wpa_passphrase=XXXXXXXXXX
driver=nl80211

interface=wlan1
hw_mode=g
channel=11
ssid=ISP_Outsourcers
bridge=br0

Regards,
Jorge

Attachment (smime.p7s): application/pkcs7-signature, 7551 bytes
Mohammed Shafi | 22 Jan 15:09 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Jorge Luis <jorge <at> luisnet.com> wrote:
> [...]
> wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb RADIUS: starting accounting session
> 4D39A118-00000001
> wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (WPA)
> wlan1: STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local
> deauth request
> Data/PS-poll frame from not associated STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb
> Data/PS-poll frame from not associated STA 90:4c:e5:b7:d2:cb
>

> The wireless interface is running bridged with a VLAN ethernet interface.
> Traffic is mostly ssh and some http and it's bellow 500 kbps
> We have another AP (Cisco) running with the same SSID on a different channel
> and stations hop between them both without problems.
> Since this is our office, I immediately switched of the hostap when I got
> this message to avoid disrupting my colleagues work. But I can repeat the

As the Rate Control is handled in firmware the tx rate status is not
reported properly and this is the cause  of warning.
To remove this warning we can do(not a fix)

-       /* uh huh? */
-       if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
+       if (!(local->hw.flags & IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL)) {
+               if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
                return 0;
+       }

Sujith | 22 Jan 18:03 2011

Mohammed Shafi wrote:
> As the Rate Control is handled in firmware the tx rate status is not
> reported properly and this is the cause  of warning.
> To remove this warning we can do(not a fix)
>
> -       /* uh huh? */
> -       if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
> +       if (!(local->hw.flags & IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL)) {
> +               if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
>                 return 0;
> +       }

Well, this doesn't fix the issue.
And warnings are present in the code for a reason. :)

Sujith
Mohammed Shafi | 24 Jan 05:41 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Sujith <m.sujith <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Mohammed Shafi wrote:
>> As the Rate Control is handled in firmware the tx rate status is not
>> reported properly and this is the cause  of warning.
>> To remove this warning we can do(not a fix)
>>
>> -       /* uh huh? */
>> -       if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
>> +       if (!(local->hw.flags & IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL)) {
>> +               if (WARN_ON_ONCE(info->control.rates[0].idx < 0))
>>                 return 0;
>> +       }
>
> Well, this doesn't fix the issue.
> And warnings are present in the code for a reason. :)

Ok Sujith, thanks(now found out :)