Pedro Ramalhais | 26 Jul 08:21 2005
Picon

ipw2200 GEO identification code

Hi!
I noticed my card has an unidentified GEO code (ipw2200.c modified to
print the priv->country[2] char:

ipw2200: U ipw_up Geography M detected.
ipw2200: U ipw_up Geography 000 [ZZM] detected.

I live in Portugal and the laptop was bought here on a big store (FNAC).

Pedro Ramalhais

Pedro Venda | 26 Jul 11:41 2005

Re: ipw2200 GEO identification code

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 07:21, Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
> Hi!
> I noticed my card has an unidentified GEO code (ipw2200.c modified to
> print the priv->country[2] char:

what's it for, the GEO code? I've googled around but didn't find anything
relevant.

regards,
pedro venda.

Pedro João Lopes Venda
email: pjvenda < at > arrakis.dhis.org
http://arrakis.dhis.org
Alejandro Bonilla | 26 Jul 14:58 2005

RE: ipw2200 GEO identification code

> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 07:21, Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I noticed my card has an unidentified GEO code (ipw2200.c
> modified to
> > print the priv->country[2] char:
>
> what's it for, the GEO code? I've googled around but didn't
> find anything
> relevant.

This is to be able to use the channels you should be able to use in your
location.
It is ilegal to use chan 14 in USA, is OK in Japan. If you have an APAK SKU
(Japan Code) it will use Chan 14.

It can't be changed manually AFAIK. But it will read the value of the model
you have.

.Alejandro

Raúl Sánchez Siles | 29 Jul 02:15 2005
Picon

Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
> Hi!
> I noticed my card has an unidentified GEO code (ipw2200.c modified to
> print the priv->country[2] char:
>
> ipw2200: U ipw_up Geography M detected.
> ipw2200: U ipw_up Geography 000 [ZZM] detected.
>
> I live in Portugal and the laptop was bought here on a big store (FNAC).

I have the very same problem, I live in Spain and my Dell i510m was
bought directly to the manufacturer. I use ipw2200-1.0.6,
ieee80211-1.0.3 and fw 2.3.

I have checked the ipw2200 code and found that the GEO depends on a code
written into eeprom. I have checked EEPROM with ethtool and got this:

0x0020          00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

, where 0x26 is the offset of the country code

so that the switch in function ipw2200.c:ipw_up in the code let the
driver into the default case which is IEEE80211_GEO_000, the most
restrictive case.

I managed to activate the Europe setting by manualy hacking the driver
source, because I coulnd't find other way.

My syslog gave this:
(Continue reading)

Stijn Tintel | 29 Jul 02:37 2005
Picon

Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
> Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
>
>>>Hi!
>>>I noticed my card has an unidentified GEO code (ipw2200.c modified to
>>>print the priv->country[2] char:
>>>
>>>ipw2200: U ipw_up Geography M detected.
>>>ipw2200: U ipw_up Geography 000 [ZZM] detected.
>>>
>>>I live in Portugal and the laptop was bought here on a big store (FNAC).
>

> I have the very same problem, I live in Spain and my Dell i510m was
> bought directly to the manufacturer. I use ipw2200-1.0.6,
> ieee80211-1.0.3 and fw 2.3.
>
> I have checked the ipw2200 code and found that the GEO depends on a code
> written into eeprom. I have checked EEPROM with ethtool and got this:
>
> 0x0020          00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> , where 0x26 is the offset of the country code
>
> so that the switch in function ipw2200.c:ipw_up in the code let the
> driver into the default case which is IEEE80211_GEO_000, the most
> restrictive case.
>
> I managed to activate the Europe setting by manualy hacking the driver
(Continue reading)

Alejandro Bonilla | 29 Jul 03:05 2005

Stijn Tintel wrote:

>Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
>

>>Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
>>

>My card also has Geography 000, but I am in fact able to use channel 13.
>That is only possible though when selecting channel 13 in my AP. After a
>few seconds, the ipw2200 detects my network  <at>  channel 13, and
>wpasupplicant does the rest...

Guys,

    We already covered this questions.
If things are how I was told they would be... James hasn't talked to
much these days so I have no clue about how he plans things now...

1. Depending on your SKU (model of the Card, which is PRINTED in the
label of it) will tell you if it is NA=North America, EU=Europe, and I
don't remember the crazy code for APAK.

This will tell you which card you have and which things you can use. If
(Continue reading)

Alejandro Bonilla | 29 Jul 03:16 2005

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> Stijn Tintel wrote:

>> Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
>>

>>> Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
>>>

>> My card also has Geography 000, but I am in fact able to use channel 13.
>> That is only possible though when selecting channel 13 in my AP. After a
>> few seconds, the ipw2200 detects my network  <at>  channel 13, and
>> wpasupplicant does the rest...
>>

> Guys,
>
>    We already covered this questions.
> If things are how I was told they would be... James hasn't talked to
> much these days so I have no clue about how he plans things now...
>
> 1. Depending on your SKU (model of the Card, which is PRINTED in the
> label of it) will tell you if it is NA=North America, EU=Europe, and I
> don't remember the crazy code for APAK.
(Continue reading)

Paolo | 31 Jul 00:53 2005
Picon

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:05:24PM -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> >My card also has Geography 000, but I am in fact able to use channel 13.
> >That is only possible though when selecting channel 13 in my AP. After a
> >few seconds, the ipw2200 detects my network  <at>  channel 13, and
> >wpasupplicant does the rest...
> >

> Guys,
>
>    We already covered this questions.
> If things are how I was told they would be... James hasn't talked to
> much these days so I have no clue about how he plans things now...

meanwhile, anybody wishing to unlock chans 12-14 of his card, can try
the attached patches - ieee80211_geo.c.diff comes from previous _geo.c
in ipw2200-1.0.4.
ipw2200 patch re-adds modparam geography; if not set, GEO defaults to
what's in EEPROM.
I tried geography=" and chan 13 here, which works ok (AP Zyxel).
ie 'patches WFM' ;)

BTW, I applied latest radiotap patches: did not make use of RT so far,
but at least seems the patch doesn't break 1.0.6 :)

Oh, still bad BW, and need to iwpriv to .11b else connection may hang -
ie iwconfig+wpa+log show connection ok, but eg. 'ls /etc' via ssh hangs
after a few lines.

-- paolo
(Continue reading)

James Ketrenos | 1 Aug 17:05 2005
Picon

Paolo wrote:

>meanwhile, anybody wishing to unlock chans 12-14 of his card, can try
>the attached patches - ieee80211_geo.c.diff comes from previous _geo.c
>in ipw2200-1.0.4.
>ipw2200 patch re-adds modparam geography; if not set, GEO defaults to
>what's in EEPROM.
>I tried geography=" and chan 13 here, which works ok (AP Zyxel).
>ie 'patches WFM' ;)

Paolo --

As you are probably aware, we can not incorporate the patch into the
driver as it bypasses the checks to determine the geography for which
your wireless cards was tested to function.  I do appreciate your use of
the driver, and any work done to try and improve the driver for your use
and that of others.

Thanks,
James

Just an FYI for everyone:

Important Notice FOR ALL USERS OR DISTRIBUTORS!!!!

Intel wireless LAN adapters are engineered, manufactured, tested, and
quality checked to ensure that they meet all necessary local and
governmental regulatory agency requirements for the regions that they
are designated and/or marked to ship into. Since wireless LANs are
(Continue reading)

Paolo | 2 Aug 22:24 2005
Picon

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 10:05:56AM -0500, James Ketrenos wrote:
> As you are probably aware, we can not incorporate the patch into the

yep, that wasn't the target, only to hopefully help those like me that
got 1.0.4 working in chan>11 but got stuck w/ 1.0.6, finding themselves
suddenly and unknowingly thrown into FCC domain by upgrading to
80211-1.0.3+2200-1.0.6, until ipw2x00 devs get it right.

BTW, not much from me there in, I did mostly cut'n'paste from 1.0.4.

> driver as it bypasses the checks to determine the geography for which
> your wireless cards was tested to function.  I do appreciate your use of

Not exaclty, if you don't set geography you get what EEPROM says.
Anyway, either the check is wrong, or the EEPROM content for that is
meaningless: 1.0.3+1.0.6 above + EEPROM in my card would state that I'm in
GEO_000, ie even smaller domain than FCC rules.

Which is wrong, as I'm in EU, and paid for a wlan embedded in a product
intended for and sold in EU. We have private/public CE-compliant
APs around on chans 12,13, which I'm supposed to be able to connect to
with no special tinkering w/ either the card or it's driver.

Likewise, I guess you guys from Intel, while travelling in eg Japan w/
your stock FCC-compliant notebook, do expect to connect to eg. Tokyo
airport's WiFi service in a snap, w/out need to ask netadmin over there
to switch their chan-14 service over to an FCC-blessed chan ;)

My bet is that, if we all look at what's in EEPROM->country, we find most
of us nowhere, ie GEO_000, like seems the case w/ eg madwifi (regdomain=0).
(Continue reading)

Alejandro Bonilla | 1 Aug 21:29 2005

RE: ipw2200 GEO identification code

> The monitor firmware/ucode could have a bug that limits the
> frequencies
 that can be tuned for reception.  I believe there is a bug on

#673 - geography hardcoded to GEO_001 ?

.Alejandro