harsh poshtiwala | 13 May 03:56 2013
Picon

Why UBIFS mounts read only?

Hi, I am trying to boot UBIFS based rootfs on NAND flash.
Upon mounting, I found the rootfs is mounted readonly without any messages..
My kernel command line parameters are as below.

setenv bootargs console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootfstype=ubifs rw
ubi.mtd=10,2048  root=ubi0:rootfs; setenv nandargs setenv bootargs
console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootfstype=ubifs rw ubi.mtd=10,2048
root=ubi0:rootfs;
saveenv;

Here is the fstab entry

proc                 /proc                proc       defaults             0  0
/dev/mtdblock12      /mnt/readerconfig    jffs2      rw,exec,noatime      0  0
/dev/mtdblock15      /mnt/data            jffs2      rw,exec,noatime      0  0
tmpfs                /var                 tmpfs      defaults             0  0
tmpfs                /tmp                 tmpfs      defaults             0  0
tmpfs                /media/ram           tmpfs      defaults             0  0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      nosuid,noexec,nodev  0  0
# uncomment this if your device has a SD/MMC/Transflash slot
#/dev/mmcblk0p1       /media/card          auto       defaults,sync,noauto 0  0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      defaults              0  0
none                 /dev/pts             devpts     defaults              0  0

Here is the inittab

::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
::sysinit:/bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts
::sysinit:/bin/mount -a
(Continue reading)

Tim Sander | 13 May 08:48 2013

Re: Why UBIFS mounts read only?

Am Sonntag, 12. Mai 2013, 21:56:15 schrieb harsh poshtiwala:
> Hi, I am trying to boot UBIFS based rootfs on NAND flash.
> Upon mounting, I found the rootfs is mounted readonly without any messages..
> My kernel command line parameters are as below.
>

> setenv bootargs console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootfstype=ubifs rw
> ubi.mtd=10,2048  root=ubi0:rootfs; setenv nandargs setenv bootargs
> console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootfstype=ubifs rw ubi.mtd=10,2048
> root=ubi0:rootfs;
> saveenv;
>

> Here is the fstab entry
>
> proc                 /proc                proc       defaults             0
> 0 /dev/mtdblock12      /mnt/readerconfig    jffs2      rw,exec,noatime
> 0  0 /dev/mtdblock15      /mnt/data            jffs2      rw,exec,noatime
>    0  0 tmpfs                /var                 tmpfs      defaults
>       0  0 tmpfs                /tmp                 tmpfs      defaults
>          0  0 tmpfs                /media/ram           tmpfs      defaults
>             0  0 sysfs                /sys                 sysfs
> nosuid,noexec,nodev  0  0 # uncomment this if your device has a
> SD/MMC/Transflash slot
> #/dev/mmcblk0p1       /media/card          auto       defaults,sync,noauto 0
>  0 usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      defaults
>   0  0 none                 /dev/pts             devpts     defaults
>       0  0

(Continue reading)

harsh poshtiwala | 13 May 17:06 2013
Picon

Re: Why UBIFS mounts read only?

Hi Tim,

I have devtmpfs enabled in my kernel config. I also have /etc/fstab to
mount the other partitions and /proc as well as sys from rcS script
which has command mount -a (Which is supposed to read  /etc/fstab
mount).
Yes, you can say my inittab is kind of dummy as such I dodn't see the
UBIFS and other partitions mounted from /etc/fstab entry I thought of
mounting those from /etc/inittab (which is the first file read by
kernel upon boot).
that is the reason, I modified the /etc/inittab to force mount the
ubifs as RW as well as mount /proc and /dev/pts.

Let me know your comments to fix this.

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Tim Sander <tim <at> krieglstein.org> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 12. Mai 2013, 21:56:15 schrieb harsh poshtiwala:
>> Hi, I am trying to boot UBIFS based rootfs on NAND flash.
>> Upon mounting, I found the rootfs is mounted readonly without any messages..
>> My kernel command line parameters are as below.
>>

>> setenv bootargs console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootfstype=ubifs rw
>> ubi.mtd=10,2048  root=ubi0:rootfs; setenv nandargs setenv bootargs
>> console=ttyO2,115200n8 rootfstype=ubifs rw ubi.mtd=10,2048
>> root=ubi0:rootfs;
>> saveenv;
>>

>> Here is the fstab entry
(Continue reading)

Tim Sander | 13 May 23:36 2013

Re: Why UBIFS mounts read only?

Hi Harsh Poshtiwala

Am Montag 13 Mai 2013, 17:06:13 schrieb harsh poshtiwala:
> >> can't open /dev/proc: No such file or directory
> >> can't open /dev/rwmo: No such file or directory
> >> can't open /dev/dpts: No such file or directory
> >> can't open /dev/moun: No such file or directory
These are definetly no proper device names! So there is something fishy in
your init scripts. Also is "mount -o remount,rw /" working?

Tim