Kofi Jedamzik | 15 Jun 16:01 2011
Picon

Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi,

... there is a "new" Logitech Webcam called "B990 HD Webcam" with
device id 046d:0828
it has an integrated hardware based H264 baseline video encoder

This cam is not listed.

MJPEG seems to work but I want to get out the H264 stream.

Is there anyone who could give me a hint how to do it?

Here are som dumps which might be helpful...

best regards

Kofi

#lsusb --verbose -d 046d:0828
(big output) -->> http://pastebin.com/9WFgytwY

#guvcview --device /dev/video0 --verbose
(big output) -->> http://pastebin.com/pqmUGYyn

#modinfo uvcvideo
filename:
/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.ko
version:        v1.0.0

#tail /var/log/syslog
(Continue reading)

Alexey Fisher | 15 Jun 16:40 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi,

theoretically this should do it:
gst-inspect-0.10 v4l2src ! video/x-h264 ! ffdec_h264 ! autovideosink

but, if i'm correct, current kernel do not support h264. There was a
patch for some time, but im not sure if Laurent applyed it.

Am Mittwoch, den 15.06.2011, 16:01 +0200 schrieb Kofi Jedamzik:
> Hi,
>
> ... there is a "new" Logitech Webcam called "B990 HD Webcam" with
> device id 046d:0828
> it has an integrated hardware based H264 baseline video encoder
>
> This cam is not listed.
>
> MJPEG seems to work but I want to get out the H264 stream.
>
> Is there anyone who could give me a hint how to do it?
>
> Here are som dumps which might be helpful...
>
> best regards
>
> Kofi
>
> #lsusb --verbose -d 046d:0828
> (big output) -->> http://pastebin.com/9WFgytwY

(Continue reading)

Ajay Bhargav | 16 Jun 06:56 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi,

as far as i know stream based format are not yet supported in UVC driver. and UVC 1.1 specifications defines the H.264 payload specifications. I dont think they are implemented yet.

I have a camera with me which outputs H.264 stream using MPEG2-TS container format. If you have any idea how to add support for MPEG2-TS please let me know.

--Ajay

gst-inspect-0.10 v4l2src ! video/x-h264 ! ffdec_h264 ! autovideosink

but, if i'm correct, current kernel do not support h264. There was a
patch for some time, but im not sure if Laurent applyed it.

Am Mittwoch, den 15.06.2011, 16:01 +0200 schrieb Kofi Jedamzik:
> Hi,
>
> ... there is a "new" Logitech Webcam called "B990 HD Webcam" with
> device id 046d:0828
> it has an integrated hardware based H264 baseline video encoder
>
> This cam is not listed.
>
> MJPEG seems to work but I want to get out the H264 stream.
>
> Is there anyone who could give me a hint how to do it?
>
> Here are som dumps which might be helpful...
>
> best regards
>
> Kofi
>
> #lsusb --verbose -d 046d:0828
> (big output) -->> http://pastebin.com/9WFgytwY
>
> #guvcview --device /dev/video0 --verbose
> (big output) -->> http://pastebin.com/pqmUGYyn
>
> #modinfo uvcvideo
> filename:
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/uvc/uvcvideo.ko
> version:        v1.0.0
>
> #tail /var/log/syslog
> [11588.664940] usb 1-6: USB disconnect, address 4
> [11594.580043] usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
> [11594.927759] uvcvideo: Unknown video format
> 34363248-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
> [11594.927786] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device <unnamed> (046d:0828)
> [11595.024093] input: UVC Camera (046d:0828) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-6/1-6:1.0/input/input8
        Alexey

dangerous content by Clean Mail Gateway, and is
believed to be clean.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************
einfochips Business Disclaimer : This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless otherwise stated. Company has taken enough precautions to prevent the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Alexey Fisher | 16 Jun 08:36 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi,

Stephan Lachowsky has provided some patches for MPEG-TS and H264
support.
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linux-uvc-devel/2011-February/006287.html
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/linux-uvc-devel/2011-February/006288.html

I do not know the current status of this work. May be Laurent can tell
some thing about it.

Am Donnerstag, den 16.06.2011, 10:26 +0530 schrieb Ajay Bhargav:
> Hi,
>
> as far as i know stream based format are not yet supported in UVC
> driver. and UVC 1.1 specifications defines the H.264 payload
> specifications. I dont think they are implemented yet.
>
> I have a camera with me which outputs H.264 stream using MPEG2-TS
> container format. If you have any idea how to add support for MPEG2-TS
> please let me know.
>
> --Ajay

        Alexey
Robert Krakora | 26 Aug 20:36 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hello,

Were you ever able to get H.264 content from the Logitech B990?  I was able to
using Stephan's patches and a patch to the v4l2src GStreamer element.  I have
both audio and video.  However, I have not figured out how to affect the
encoding parameters that I believe are exposed by the XUs.  If you are
interested, I can make what I have available for you.

Best Regards,

Rob Krakora
Pierre Gronlier | 26 Aug 22:04 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

On 26 August 2011 21:36, Robert Krakora
<rob.krakora <at> messagenetsystems.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Were you ever able to get H.264 content from the Logitech B990?  I was able to
> using Stephan's patches and a patch to the v4l2src GStreamer element.  I have
> both audio and video.  However, I have not figured out how to affect the
> encoding parameters that I believe are exposed by the XUs.  If you are
> interested, I can make what I have available for you.

Hello,

This is a great news :)

If it is possible to send a tarball or links and diffs of the
different thing you mention ? then I will try to make it work this my
C920 logitech.

Best Regards,

> Best Regards,
>
> Rob Krakora

Pierre Gronlier
Ajay Bhargav | 29 Aug 07:16 2011

----- "Pierre Gronlier" <pierre.gronlier <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 August 2011 21:36, Robert Krakora
> <rob.krakora <at> messagenetsystems.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Were you ever able to get H.264 content from the Logitech B990?  I
> was able to
> > using Stephan's patches and a patch to the v4l2src GStreamer
> element.  I have
> > both audio and video.  However, I have not figured out how to affect
> the
> > encoding parameters that I believe are exposed by the XUs.  If you
> are
> > interested, I can make what I have available for you.
>
> Hello,
>
> This is a great news :)
>
> If it is possible to send a tarball or links and diffs of the
> different thing you mention ? then I will try to make it work this my
> C920 logitech.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Rob Krakora

> Pierre Gronlier

Hi Rob,

Can you please forward patches for this?

Thanks,
Ajay Bhargav
Alexey Fisher | 27 Aug 08:09 2011

Am 26.08.2011 20:36, schrieb Robert Krakora:
> Hello,
>
> Were you ever able to get H.264 content from the Logitech B990?  I was able to
> using Stephan's patches and a patch to the v4l2src GStreamer element.  I have
> both audio and video.  However, I have not figured out how to affect the
> encoding parameters that I believe are exposed by the XUs.  If you are
> interested, I can make what I have available for you.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rob Krakora

I'd really like to know, is it worth to do it. I mean what is the image
quality? What kind of H.264 bitstream is created? What is the key frame
frequency? Can you grub and send me some sample file?

What actual use cases? If i understand correctly, it will be transcoded
any way in case of videochat. To record myself i'd prefer software
encoder, for better quality.
Max Lapshin | 27 Aug 11:09 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Robert, would You kindly tell more: how can I get H264 with UVC api?

I'm not using gstreamer, because I capture video directly into my
program. I just brought B990 home (how huge is it!)
and trying to get compressed stream.

should I select something like V4L2_PIX_FMT_H264 ?
Max Lapshin | 27 Aug 11:50 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

By the way, have you seen document
http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1_052811.zip
?
There are some encoder setup options.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert, would You kindly tell more: how can I get H264 with UVC api?
>
> I'm not using gstreamer, because I capture video directly into my
> program. I just brought B990 home (how huge is it!)
> and trying to get compressed stream.
>
> should I select something like V4L2_PIX_FMT_H264 ?

Laurent Pinchart | 31 Aug 00:07 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi Max,

On Saturday 27 August 2011 11:50:55 Max Lapshin wrote:
> By the way, have you seen document
> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1_052811.zip
> ?
> There are some encoder setup options.

That's the totally broken spec I don't want to support.

Laurent Pinchart
Max Lapshin | 31 Aug 00:12 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart <at> ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> On Saturday 27 August 2011 11:50:55 Max Lapshin wrote:
>> By the way, have you seen document
>> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1_052811.zip
>> ?
>> There are some encoder setup options.
>
> That's the totally broken spec I don't want to support.

So, this document has nothing to do with the way, that Logitech B990
exchanges H264 via USB?
Pierre Gronlier | 31 Aug 08:36 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart <at> ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> On Saturday 27 August 2011 11:50:55 Max Lapshin wrote:
>> By the way, have you seen document
>> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1_052811.zip
>> ?
>> There are some encoder setup options.
>
> That's the totally broken spec I don't want to support.

Even if it allows Linux users to use Skype with hardware encoding camera ?

> --
> Regards,
>
> Laurent Pinchart

Pierre Gronlier
Alexey Fisher | 31 Aug 10:04 2011

Am 31.08.2011 08:36, schrieb Pierre Gronlier:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Laurent Pinchart
> <laurent.pinchart <at> ideasonboard.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Max,
>>
>> On Saturday 27 August 2011 11:50:55 Max Lapshin wrote:
>>> By the way, have you seen document
>>> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1_052811.zip
>>> ?
>>> There are some encoder setup options.
>>
>> That's the totally broken spec I don't want to support.
>
> Even if it allows Linux users to use Skype with hardware encoding camera ?

I think the question like to do or not to do is not quiet correct here.
If make this webcam work, will do help in some situations...  then why
not. But it looks like Laurent is only responsible for UVC module and he
is right - it is not belong to uvc.

But - there are some cam now, what use uvc and notuvc stuff. It will be
interesting to use uvcvideo like a library and have some extension part.
B990 is one of this.
On other side, if logitech will make next month new cam with other H264
specification, it will be work for one cam only. Then automatically will
come the question, who will maintain this code.

One more question: do h264 part work out of the box with uvc driver on
windows?

Regards,
	Alexey
Max Lapshin | 31 Aug 10:11 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Alexey Fisher
<bug-track <at> fisher-privat.net> wrote:

> But - there are some cam now, what use uvc and notuvc stuff. It will be
> interesting to use uvcvideo like a library and have some extension part.
> B990 is one of this.
> On other side, if logitech will make next month new cam with other H264
> specification, it will be work for one cam only. Then automatically will
> come the question, who will maintain this code.
>
> One more question: do h264 part work out of the box with uvc driver on
> windows?

Currently I see other problem: I can't find patchset in mailing list.
So it is hard to discuss if B990 is UVC or not UVC.
Laurent Pinchart | 31 Aug 10:34 2011

On Wednesday 31 August 2011 10:11:41 Max Lapshin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Alexey Fisher wrote:
> > But - there are some cam now, what use uvc and notuvc stuff. It will be
> > interesting to use uvcvideo like a library and have some extension part.
> > B990 is one of this.
> > On other side, if logitech will make next month new cam with other H264
> > specification, it will be work for one cam only. Then automatically will
> > come the question, who will maintain this code.
> >
> > One more question: do h264 part work out of the box with uvc driver on
> > windows?
>
> Currently I see other problem: I can't find patchset in mailing list.
> So it is hard to discuss if B990 is UVC or not UVC.

Could someone please post the lsusb -v output for thr B990 ?

Laurent Pinchart
Laurent Pinchart | 31 Aug 10:22 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi Alexey,

On Wednesday 31 August 2011 10:04:25 Alexey Fisher wrote:
> Am 31.08.2011 08:36, schrieb Pierre Gronlier:
> >>
> >> That's the totally broken spec I don't want to support.
> >
> > Even if it allows Linux users to use Skype with hardware encoding camera
> > ?
>
> I think the question like to do or not to do is not quiet correct here.
> If make this webcam work, will do help in some situations...  then why
> not. But it looks like Laurent is only responsible for UVC module and he
> is right - it is not belong to uvc.
>
> But - there are some cam now, what use uvc and notuvc stuff. It will be
> interesting to use uvcvideo like a library and have some extension part.
> B990 is one of this.
> On other side, if logitech will make next month new cam with other H264
> specification, it will be work for one cam only. Then automatically will
> come the question, who will maintain this code.
>
> One more question: do h264 part work out of the box with uvc driver on
> windows?

UVC devices that comply to the new UVC H.264 spec should work out of the box
(provided the Windows UVC driver is new enough), but *only* with applications
that implement support for UVC H.264. Applications that use the generic
DirectShow API and try to get H.264 video from the device will fail. The only
application that I know to work is Skype, as they co-designed the spec.

UVC devices that implement another H.264 interface will require a custom
driver and/or custom applications.

Laurent Pinchart
Laurent Pinchart | 31 Aug 10:19 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hi Pierre,

On Wednesday 31 August 2011 08:36:19 Pierre Gronlier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 August 2011 11:50:55 Max Lapshin wrote:
> >> By the way, have you seen document
> >> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/USB_Video_Class_1_1_052811.z
> >> ip ?
> >> There are some encoder setup options.
> >
> > That's the totally broken spec I don't want to support.
>
> Even if it allows Linux users to use Skype with hardware encoding camera ?

Yes.

I've notified Logitech multiple times that their spec was totally broken
before they got it standardized. I pointed out the obvious design mistakes,
proposed clean solutions and offered free help. They denied all problems and
stop answering.

That spec has been designed solely to support Skype with Logitech webcams on
Windows. Those three companies (well, two now) decided to game the system and
get a completely broken specification standardized. This somehow reminds me of
the OOXML fiasco.

Laurent Pinchart
Laurent Pinchart | 31 Aug 00:03 2011

On Saturday 27 August 2011 11:09:13 Max Lapshin wrote:
> Robert, would You kindly tell more: how can I get H264 with UVC api?
>
> I'm not using gstreamer, because I capture video directly into my
> program. I just brought B990 home (how huge is it!)
> and trying to get compressed stream.
>
> should I select something like V4L2_PIX_FMT_H264 ?

You can't, at least for now. The uvcvideo driver doesn't support H.264.
Stephan's patches might be enough to get very basic H.264 support for some
webcams, but I'm not even sure about that.

Laurent Pinchart
Max Lapshin | 31 Aug 00:06 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart <at> ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> You can't, at least for now. The uvcvideo driver doesn't support H.264.
> Stephan's patches might be enough to get very basic H.264 support for some
> webcams, but I'm not even sure about that.

Robert showed that there is some result from B990.

However, I have a kernel programmer nearby, whom I can hire to add
proper support, according to docs on usb.org
Should I tell him to point at your repository?

These cameras are really cool for my task, so I need them.
Laurent Pinchart | 31 Aug 00:14 2011

On Wednesday 31 August 2011 00:06:20 Max Lapshin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > You can't, at least for now. The uvcvideo driver doesn't support H.264.
> > Stephan's patches might be enough to get very basic H.264 support for
> > some webcams, but I'm not even sure about that.
>
> Robert showed that there is some result from B990.
>
> However, I have a kernel programmer nearby, whom I can hire to add
> proper support, according to docs on usb.org
> Should I tell him to point at your repository?

As explained before, I will very likely refuse patches that implement support
for that broken spec, unless you somehow manage to make them clean enough
(which might be an impossible task).

Supporting H.264 cameras that don't conform to the spec will probably be
easier.

> These cameras are really cool for my task, so I need them.

Laurent Pinchart
Robert Krakora | 26 Aug 20:44 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Hello,

I just mentioned in a previous post that I have the B990 streaming H.264 with
Stephan's patches for v4l2 and some patches to GStreamer plugins-good for the
v4l2src element.  There were two additional changes I made beyond Stephan's that
I believe are necessary.  I have this running on CentOS 6.0 with GStreamer
0.10.35 and GStreamer plugins-good 0.10.30 (patched).  Logitech does NOT follow
the specification that they co-authored and submitted to USB-IF where H.264
content is multiplexed in the Motion JPEG container.  It is merely exposed as
another interface in the one and only configuration identified by the H.264
GUID.  I posted a question to Logitech about how to gain access to the encoder
controls via the XUs but have heard nothing back yet.

Best Regards,

Rob Krakora
Max Lapshin | 26 Aug 20:54 2011
Picon

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

Wow, I'm very interested in this camera. In fact I can send money for
UVC authors to buy such a camera.
Ajay Bhargav | 31 Aug 07:15 2011

Re: Webcam with H264 encoder not in Devicelist

----- "Robert Krakora" <rob.krakora <at> messagenetsystems.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just mentioned in a previous post that I have the B990 streaming
> H.264 with
> Stephan's patches for v4l2 and some patches to GStreamer plugins-good
> for the
> v4l2src element.  There were two additional changes I made beyond
> Stephan's that
> I believe are necessary.  I have this running on CentOS 6.0 with
> GStreamer
> 0.10.35 and GStreamer plugins-good 0.10.30 (patched).  Logitech does
> NOT follow
> the specification that they co-authored and submitted to USB-IF where
> H.264
> content is multiplexed in the Motion JPEG container.  It is merely
> exposed as
> another interface in the one and only configuration identified by the
> H.264
> GUID.  I posted a question to Logitech about how to gain access to the
> encoder
> controls via the XUs but have heard nothing back yet.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rob Krakora

Hi Rob,

Can you please provide link to your patches? I want to test it on my camera.

Regards,
Ajay Bhargav
Kate Shiffer | 8 Sep 22:59 2011

Robert Krakora <rob.krakora <at> messagenetsystems.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I just mentioned in a previous post that I have the B990 streaming H.264 with
> Stephan's patches for v4l2 and some patches to GStreamer plugins-good for the
> v4l2src element.  There were two additional changes I made beyond Stephan's
that
> I believe are necessary.  I have this running on CentOS 6.0 with GStreamer
> 0.10.35 and GStreamer plugins-good 0.10.30 (patched).  Logitech does NOT
follow
> the specification that they co-authored and submitted to USB-IF where H.264
> content is multiplexed in the Motion JPEG container.  It is merely exposed as
> another interface in the one and only configuration identified by the H.264
> GUID.  I posted a question to Logitech about how to gain access to the
encoder
> controls via the XUs but have heard nothing back yet.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rob Krakora

rob,

i just acquired the B990 as well.  would you mind posting links to the patches
you mentioned and the additional changes you made?  i'm trying to get the B990
running with GStreamer (ultimately on windows, but i think looking at the
linux code will help).

if i understand you correctly, the B990 delivers the H.264 stream (identified
by the H.264 GUID) separately from the MJPG stream?  they are not muxed
together?  so it can deliver either H.264 or MJPG stream, but not both at the
same time?

thanks,
kate

Gmane