Antonio Roberts | 24 Nov 00:10 2011

Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

I recently bought this wireless webcam;
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.4ghz-wireless-webcam-388087 . I'm having
trouble getting it to work on Ubuntu 11.04.

I ran lsusb and got the folowing information about the device:

Bus 006 Device 003: ID 0416:a91a Winbond Electronics Corp.

I did a Google serach for the device ID and the Linux UVC website
(http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ ) informs me that it matches the
LogiLink Wireless Webcam (so Maplin probably just rebranded this!).
What this website states is that this device should work, which it
doesn't.

The problem I'm facing is that I don't get any actual video being
streamed or shown. The built in microphone works and, when running
Cheese, when I press the camera button on the webcam itself the
software recognises that the button is pressed.

On that note, when running cheese from the terminal with this webcam
attached I get the following error:

libv4l2: error getting pixformat: Invalid argument
libv4l2: error setting pixformat: Input/output error

Any help is appreciated

============================
antonio <at> hellocatfood.com
(Continue reading)

Paulo Assis | 24 Nov 10:28 2011
Picon

Re: Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

Hi,
Have you tried any other software besides cheese? (guvcview, luvcview,...)

Regards,
Paulo

2011/11/23 Antonio Roberts <antonio <at> hellocatfood.com>:
> I recently bought this wireless webcam;
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.4ghz-wireless-webcam-388087 . I'm having
> trouble getting it to work on Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I ran lsusb and got the folowing information about the device:
>
> Bus 006 Device 003: ID 0416:a91a Winbond Electronics Corp.
>
> I did a Google serach for the device ID and the Linux UVC website
> (http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/ ) informs me that it matches the
> LogiLink Wireless Webcam (so Maplin probably just rebranded this!).
> What this website states is that this device should work, which it
> doesn't.
>
> The problem I'm facing is that I don't get any actual video being
> streamed or shown. The built in microphone works and, when running
> Cheese, when I press the camera button on the webcam itself the
> software recognises that the button is pressed.
>
> On that note, when running cheese from the terminal with this webcam
> attached I get the following error:
>
> libv4l2: error getting pixformat: Invalid argument
(Continue reading)

Antonio Roberts | 24 Nov 10:49 2011

Re: Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

I've tried camorama, cheese, guvcview and loading cameras through
websites like tumblr and facebook. They recognise that a new device is
there but I get no video output

I've just tried luvcview with "luvcview -d /dev/video2" and got this error:

SDL information:
  Video driver: x11
  A window manager is available
Device information:
  Device path:  /dev/video2
Stream settings:
  Frame format: MJPG
Unable to set format: Input/output error
 Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatal

On 24 November 2011 09:28, Paulo Assis <pj.assis <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Have you tried any other software besides cheese? (guvcview, luvcview,...)
>
> Regards,
> Paulo
>
> 2011/11/23 Antonio Roberts <antonio <at> hellocatfood.com>:
>> I recently bought this wireless webcam;
>> http://www.maplin.co.uk/2.4ghz-wireless-webcam-388087 . I'm having
>> trouble getting it to work on Ubuntu 11.04.
>>
>> I ran lsusb and got the folowing information about the device:

(Continue reading)

Alexey Fisher | 24 Nov 15:19 2011
Picon

Re: Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

Hi,

Please read this FAQ:
http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/faq/

On 24.11.2011 10:49, Antonio Roberts wrote:
> I've tried camorama, cheese, guvcview and loading cameras through
> websites like tumblr and facebook. They recognise that a new device is
> there but I get no video output
>
> I've just tried luvcview with "luvcview -d /dev/video2" and got this error:
>
> SDL information:
>   Video driver: x11
>   A window manager is available
> Device information:
>   Device path:  /dev/video2
> Stream settings:
>   Frame format: MJPG
> Unable to set format: Input/output error
>  Init v4L2 failed !! exit fatal
>

> On 24 November 2011 09:28, Paulo Assis <pj.assis <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Have you tried any other software besides cheese? (guvcview, luvcview,...)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paulo

(Continue reading)

Antonio Roberts | 28 Nov 14:43 2011

Re: Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

Hi,

Thanks for that FAQ. I executed "lsusb -d 046d:08cb -v | grep "14
Video"" and I get no output

* However * , could this be because it is only reading the wireless
dongle? There's no way for me to physically connect the wireless
webcam to my computer

On 24 November 2011 14:19, Alexey Fisher <bug-track <at> fisher-privat.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please read this FAQ:
> http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/faq/
>
> On 24.11.2011 10:49, Antonio Roberts wrote:
>> I've tried camorama, cheese, guvcview and loading cameras through
>> websites like tumblr and facebook. They recognise that a new device is
>> there but I get no video output
>>
>> I've just tried luvcview with "luvcview -d /dev/video2" and got this error:
>>
>> SDL information:
>>   Video driver: x11
>>   A window manager is available
>> Device information:
>>   Device path:  /dev/video2
>> Stream settings:
>>   Frame format: MJPG
>> Unable to set format: Input/output error
(Continue reading)

Alexey Fisher | 28 Nov 15:59 2011
Picon

Re: Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

Hi,

it works like this:
after you connected some usb device to the host
it will be checked by usb-core driver
every device has some class description.
if your device say, it belong to: 14 - video class, uvcvideo will
initiate it.
if the device is not video class device, then there is no way to
uvcvideo will know about it. (except you will force it, but there is
no guaranty)

On 28.11.2011 14:43, Antonio Roberts wrote:
> Thanks for that FAQ. I executed "lsusb -d 046d:08cb -v | grep "14
> Video"" and I get no output
>
> * However * , could this be because it is only reading the
> wireless dongle? There's no way for me to physically connect the
> wireless webcam to my computer
>
> On 24 November 2011 14:19, Alexey Fisher
> <bug-track <at> fisher-privat.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please read this FAQ: http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/faq/
>>
>> On 24.11.2011 10:49, Antonio Roberts wrote:
>>> I've tried camorama, cheese, guvcview and loading cameras
>>> through websites like tumblr and facebook. They recognise that
(Continue reading)

Antonio Roberts | 28 Nov 18:43 2011

Re: Problem with wireless webcam from Maplin

> - - if the device is not video class device, then there is no way to
> uvcvideo will know about it. (except you will force it, but there is
> no guaranty)

How do you force it?

On 28 November 2011 14:59, Alexey Fisher <bug-track <at> fisher-privat.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it works like this:
> - - after you connected some usb device to the host
> - - it will be checked by usb-core driver
> - - every device has some class description.
> - - if your device say, it belong to: 14 - video class, uvcvideo will
> initiate it.
> - - if the device is not video class device, then there is no way to
> uvcvideo will know about it. (except you will force it, but there is
> no guaranty)
>
> On 28.11.2011 14:43, Antonio Roberts wrote:
>> Thanks for that FAQ. I executed "lsusb -d 046d:08cb -v | grep "14
>> Video"" and I get no output
>>
>> * However * , could this be because it is only reading the
>> wireless dongle? There's no way for me to physically connect the
>> wireless webcam to my computer

(Continue reading)

Alexey Fisher | 15 Dec 20:34 2011

Am 28.11.2011 18:43, schrieb Antonio Roberts:
>> - - if the device is not video class device, then there is no way
>> to uvcvideo will know about it. (except you will force it, but
>> there is no guaranty)
>
> How do you force it?

you should edit kernel source. find drivers/media/video/uvc/uvc_driver.c
and add some thing like this:

        { .match_flags          = USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_DEVICE
                                | USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_INT_INFO,
          .idVendor             = 0x046d,
          .idProduct            = 0x08c1,
          .bInterfaceClass      = USB_CLASS_VENDOR_SPEC,
          .bInterfaceSubClass   = 1,
          .bInterfaceProtocol   = 0 },

replace idVendor idProduct to yours. Try it on your own risk. If your
cam will be in fire, i have no responsibility.