Matthew Kloth | 11 Nov 12:50 2013
Picon

Fwd: Need help with Samsung Ativ 700t

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Kloth <musedfable <at> gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Linuxwacom-discuss] Need help with Samsung Ativ 700t
To: Ping Cheng <pinglinux <at> gmail.com>

I have some free time this week, so I'm ready to sit down and read these instructions as closely as possible.

I started with http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/linuxwacom/index.php?title=Input-wacom

I downloaded the source, unpacked it, installed gcc kernel-devel, and ran ./configure.  It seemed to have worked correctly.

But, I don't understand the final step.  I'll post it here:

Installing the Driver

Follow the instructions provided at the end of the build to copy the kernel modules to your system's module directory. USB tablets rely on the wacom.ko kernel module, while most touchscreens will use the wacom_w8001.ko module:

cp ./<kernel version>/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/ cp ./<kernel version>/wacom_w8001.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/

After the modules have been copied, you will need to rebuild all of the module dependencies:

depmod -a

Finally, you'll need to have the module loaded by the kernel so that it can be used by the rest of the system. The easiest way to do this is to simply reboot; the kernel will automatically load the newly-installed module when necessary. Alternatively, you can use the commands modprobe -r wacom and insmod /path/to/wacom.ko to force the running kernel to reload the module without rebooting.

It says to follow the build instructions.  These are the instructions in my terminal at the end after I did ./configure:

BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
       linux kernel - yes 3.7
      kernel source - yes /lib/modules/3.11.7-200.fc19.x86_64/build

Your wacom.ko is available under
    /home/michelle/input-wacom-0.19.1/3.7
If you have an USB device, you can copy the driver by:
    cp 3.7/wacom.ko /lib/modules/3.11.7-200.fc19.x86_64/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
If you have a serial device, please copy the driver by:
    cp 3.7/wacom_w8001.ko /lib/modules/3.11.7-200.fc19.x86_64/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen

NOTE: The kernel drivers included in this package are only
tested with the X Wacom driver built from xf86-input-wacom.
 If you are running an X server version older than 1.7,
please use the drivers provided by linuxwacom package.

I pretty much don't understand any of it.  I'll try and be specific to increase the chances of getting useful help:

I don't know how to "copy the kernel modules to your system's module directory."  I'm using Fedora on an Ativ 700t.  I have no idea what or where my system's module directory is.

I am not certain if I am supposed to use wacom.ko or wacom_w800t.ko .  I would assume wacom_w800t.ko because of the word touchscreen, but the words "serial device" throw me off.

The next thing is rebuilding the modules dependencies.  Is the given command of "depmod -a" all I have to type (no cd to some place or putting something before the depmod command)?

The last thing it says is to reboot.  Does that simply mean restarting my computer?

Thanks again for the help.  I'll make sure to read and follow directions as carefully as possible.