joshua.marinacci | 28 Jul 21:30 2012
Picon

Gumstix Wifi

Hi guys. After becoming very frustrated with Gumstix' prefab images I came to the  Yocto presentation at
OSCON a week ago and was very impressed.  I've started building a distro for my Gumstix Overo but have ran
into a few roadblocks that I'm hoping you can help with.

First, I started with the latest Yocto, meta-gumstix and meta-ti from git and I can successfully compile
and boot core-image-minimal.  Of course that doesn't have networking.

Next, I tried running Hob to add networking packages.  Hob does not seem to work with meta-ti.  I can launch but
when I add the meta-ti layer and choose a machine it fails with "ExpansionError during parsing %s:%s".  Of
course it is not helpful in providing which file the parsing error was in. :)

Next, I tried simply adding  wpa_supplicant to the image by adding this line to my local.conf and compiling
from the command line.

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "wpa-supplicant"

This does work. When I boot the wpa stuff is included but I still don't have a network driver loaded.  If I
include the built modules-3.2.19-r0-overo.tgz in my rootfs I can cd into the directory with all of the
modules.  However insmod libertas.ko fails with

	insmod: can't insert 'libertas_tf_usb.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

and modprobe fails with

	modprobe: module libertas not found in modules.dep

So, what should I do to make sure the libertas module is compiled correctly, included in my kernel, and then
actually used at runtime?

Thank you all for your help. I'm very excited about the Yocto project.
(Continue reading)

Enrico | 30 Jul 10:07 2012

Re: Gumstix Wifi

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM,  <joshua.marinacci@...> wrote:
> This does work. When I boot the wpa stuff is included but I still don't have a network driver loaded.  If I
include the built modules-3.2.19-r0-overo.tgz in my rootfs I can cd into the directory with all of the
modules.  However insmod libertas.ko fails with

>         insmod: can't insert 'libertas_tf_usb.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
>
> and modprobe fails with
>
>         modprobe: module libertas not found in modules.dep
>

> So, what should I do to make sure the libertas module is compiled correctly, included in my kernel, and then
actually used at runtime?

try with "depmod -a" (this must be done only once after you untar the
modules) before modprobe libertas.

I am not sure but i think it was "modprobe libertas_sdio", try that
too. And of course you will need the libertas firmware
(sd8686....bin).

Enrico
joshua.marinacci | 30 Jul 21:10 2012
Picon

Re: Gumstix Wifi

Hmm. I don't see to have depmod installed.  Perhaps that is part of my problem. What package would I need to add
to the minimal-core-image to get that?

thanks,
	Josh
On Jul 30, 2012, at 1:07 AM, ext Enrico wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM,  <joshua.marinacci@...> wrote:
>> This does work. When I boot the wpa stuff is included but I still don't have a network driver loaded.  If I
include the built modules-3.2.19-r0-overo.tgz in my rootfs I can cd into the directory with all of the
modules.  However insmod libertas.ko fails with

>>        insmod: can't insert 'libertas_tf_usb.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
>>
>> and modprobe fails with
>>
>>        modprobe: module libertas not found in modules.dep
>>

>> So, what should I do to make sure the libertas module is compiled correctly, included in my kernel, and
then actually used at runtime?

> try with "depmod -a" (this must be done only once after you untar the
> modules) before modprobe libertas.
>
> I am not sure but i think it was "modprobe libertas_sdio", try that
> too. And of course you will need the libertas firmware
> (sd8686....bin).
>
> Enrico
(Continue reading)

Denys Dmytriyenko | 30 Jul 21:42 2012
Picon

Re: Gumstix Wifi

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 07:10:23PM +0000, joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
> Hmm. I don't see to have depmod installed.  Perhaps that is part of my
> problem. What package would I need to add to the minimal-core-image to get
> that?

Josh,

core-image-minimal uses busybox for tools like insmod and modprobe. The
default configuration for busybox does not have depmod enabled. As of
module-init-tools, they are being built, but not installed on the filesystem.
So, you can either modify busybox config to enable depmod, or add
module-init-tools-depmod package to your filesystem. The new way is to use
kmod, which is available in oe-core master, or meta-oe in denzil. But oe-core
master setup is broken for me at the moment, so I can't verify that kmod is
included. At least it's not listed in the image/task...

Denys

> On Jul 30, 2012, at 1:07 AM, ext Enrico wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM,  <joshua.marinacci@...> wrote:
> >> This does work. When I boot the wpa stuff is included but I still don't have a network driver loaded.  If I
include the built modules-3.2.19-r0-overo.tgz in my rootfs I can cd into the directory with all of the
modules.  However insmod libertas.ko fails with

> >>        insmod: can't insert 'libertas_tf_usb.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter
> >>
> >> and modprobe fails with
> >>
> >>        modprobe: module libertas not found in modules.dep
(Continue reading)

joshua.marinacci | 31 Jul 02:31 2012
Picon

Re: Gumstix Wifi

ah, that explains it then.

Okay, so I've made a bit more progress. I added some more packages to my build my appending this to my build/conf/local.conf

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "wpa-supplicant"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "wireless-tools"
#CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "resolveconf"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "openssl"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "zeroconf"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "modutils-initscripts"
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "update-modules"

This gives me depmod and the rest.  Now I can manually load drivers and depmod -a succeeds.  However, I still
can't activate the wlan0.   ifup wlan0 gives me

root <at> overo:~# ifup wlan0
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
WEXT: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

On a hunch I looked at /var/log/messages and it says near the end:

Jul 30 23:17:03 overo user.info kernel: libertas_sdio: Libertas SDIO driver
Jul 30 23:17:03 overo user.info kernel: libertas_sdio: Copyright Pierre Ossman
Jul 30 23:17:03 overo user.err kernel: libertas_sdio: failed to find firmware (-2)

You mentioned the firmware. Where do I get that?

Incidentally, I don't get all of the kernel boot messages when my gumstix boots.  It says

(Continue reading)

Denys Dmytriyenko | 31 Jul 05:51 2012

Re: Gumstix Wifi

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:31:10AM +0000, joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
> Incidentally, I don't get all of the kernel boot messages when my gumstix
> boots.  It says
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> Yocto (Built by Poky 7.0) 1.2+snapshot-20120730 overo ttyO2
>
> overo login:
>

> And then I'm at the login prompt.  I'm assuming there is some boot setting
> which controls this? All of the messages are showing up in
> /var/log/messages, however.

What's your "bootargs" variable in u-boot? Does it contain "quiet"? Does it
have the proper console settings?

Denys

joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
> >> Hmm. I don't see to have depmod installed.  Perhaps that is part of my
> >> problem. What package would I need to add to the minimal-core-image to get
> >> that?
(Continue reading)

joshua.marinacci | 31 Jul 05:55 2012
Picon

Re: Gumstix Wifi

Well, If I hit a key to stop the boot then execute printenv: it shows me this:

et:   No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Overo # printenv
bootcmd=if mmc init; then if run loadbootscript; then run bootscript; else if run loaduimage; then run
mmcboot; else run nandboot; fi; fi; else run nandboot;
 fi
bootdelay=5
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x82000000
console=ttyS2,115200n8
mpurate=500
vram=12M
dvimode=1024x768MR-16 <at> 60
defaultdisplay=dvi
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw
mmcrootfstype=ext3 rootwait
nandroot=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
nandrootfstype=jffs2
mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} mpurate=${mpurate} vram=${vram}
omapfb.mode=dvi:${dvimode} omapfb.debug=y omapdss.def_disp=${defaultdisplay} root=
${mmcroot} rootfstype=${mmcrootfstype}
nandargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} mpurate=${mpurate} vram=${vram}
omapfb.mode=dvi:${dvimode} omapfb.debug=y omapdss.def_disp=${defaultdisplay} root
=${nandroot} rootfstype=${nandrootfstype}
loadbootscript=fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} boot.scr
bootscript=echo Running bootscript from mmc ...; source ${loadaddr}
loaduimage=fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} uImage
mmcboot=echo Booting from mmc ...; run mmcargs; bootm ${loadaddr}
(Continue reading)

Denys Dmytriyenko | 31 Jul 06:02 2012

Re: Gumstix Wifi

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 03:55:08AM +0000, joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
> Well, If I hit a key to stop the boot then execute printenv: it shows me this:
>
> et:   No ethernet found.
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> Overo # printenv
> bootcmd=if mmc init; then if run loadbootscript; then run bootscript; else if run loaduimage; then run
mmcboot; else run nandboot; fi; fi; else run nandboot;
>  fi
> bootdelay=5
> baudrate=115200
> loadaddr=0x82000000
> console=ttyS2,115200n8

^^^^^^
Try with ttyO2 instead for kernels >2.6.36:

setenv console ttyO2,115200n8
saveenv

Denys

> mpurate=500
> vram=12M
> dvimode=1024x768MR-16 <at> 60
> defaultdisplay=dvi
> mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw
> mmcrootfstype=ext3 rootwait
> nandroot=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
(Continue reading)

joshua.marinacci | 31 Jul 06:00 2012
Picon

Re: Gumstix Wifi

Thank you everyone for your help. I finally got it working. After adding those extra recipes, doing the
usual wifi config with /etc/network/interfaces and wpa-supplicant, and running depmod -a I was able get
everything in place. Adding the magic firmware files extracted from Gumstix's pre-built distro was the
last piece of the puzzle. When I next rebooted I was already on the network.

So, my question now is "what's up with those sd8686* firmware files? If they are required then why aren't
they a part of meta-gumstix?  Is it something special that can only be legally downloaded from
Gumstix.com?

thank you everyone.
	Josh

On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:31 PM, ext joshua.marinacci@... wrote:

> ah, that explains it then.
>
> Okay, so I've made a bit more progress. I added some more packages to my build my appending this to my build/conf/local.conf
>
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "wpa-supplicant"
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "wireless-tools"
> #CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "resolveconf"
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "openssl"
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "zeroconf"
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "modutils-initscripts"
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "update-modules"
>

> This gives me depmod and the rest.  Now I can manually load drivers and depmod -a succeeds.  However, I still
can't activate the wlan0.   ifup wlan0 gives me

(Continue reading)

Denys Dmytriyenko | 31 Jul 06:10 2012

Re: Gumstix Wifi

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 04:00:56AM +0000, joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
> Thank you everyone for your help. I finally got it working. After adding
> those extra recipes, doing the usual wifi config with
> /etc/network/interfaces and wpa-supplicant, and running depmod -a I was able
> get everything in place. Adding the magic firmware files extracted from
> Gumstix's pre-built distro was the last piece of the puzzle. When I next
> rebooted I was already on the network.
>
> So, my question now is "what's up with those sd8686* firmware files? If they
> are required then why aren't they a part of meta-gumstix?  Is it something
> special that can only be legally downloaded from Gumstix.com?

Josh,

Looks like you need this:
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "linux-firmware-sd8686"

From here:
http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_git.bb#n37

More pointers:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/libertas
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git;a=tree;f=libertas;hb=HEAD

Denys

> On Jul 30, 2012, at 5:31 PM, ext joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
>
> > ah, that explains it then.
(Continue reading)

Philip Balister | 30 Jul 22:00 2012

Re: Gumstix Wifi

On 07/28/2012 03:30 PM, joshua.marinacci@... wrote:
> Hi guys. After becoming very frustrated with Gumstix' prefab images I came to the  Yocto presentation at
OSCON a week ago and was very impressed.  I've started building a distro for my Gumstix Overo but have ran
into a few roadblocks that I'm hoping you can help with.

Remember the gumstix support here is done by community members, not
gumstix engineering. Please remind the gumstix people on the gumstix
list that it would be great if they could contribute some time to
testing and fixing these problems :)

Philip