Viner, David | 4 Nov 19:48 2003
Picon

connect to FAM from remote machine?

Hi,

I know that the fam library uses rpc messages to connect to the fam daemon.
Is it possible to connect to a fam daemon on a remote machine (i.e., a
machine that is not localhost)?

From looking at the code, it appears to me that this is not possible, since
FAMOpen2 constructs the client like this:
	fc->client = new Client(LOCALHOSTNUMBER, famnumber, famversion);
where LOCALHOSTNUMER is
	#define LOCALHOSTNUMBER 0x7f000001 // Internet number for loopback.

thanks
dave

Michael Raymond | 4 Nov 20:53 2003
Picon

Re: connect to FAM from remote machine?

    I'm not that familiar with the code, but I know that the documentation
does talk about the fam daemon contacting fam daemons on other machines to
monitor NFS mounted files.  Therefor fam daemons can talk to each other but
I doubt that clients can do it.  I think one way that the daemon does
security is that it only talks to connections coming from secure port(s).
	    	    	    	     	     		 Michael

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:48:30AM -0800, Viner, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that the fam library uses rpc messages to connect to the fam daemon.
> Is it possible to connect to a fam daemon on a remote machine (i.e., a
> machine that is not localhost)?
>
> >From looking at the code, it appears to me that this is not possible, since
> FAMOpen2 constructs the client like this:
> 	fc->client = new Client(LOCALHOSTNUMBER, famnumber, famversion);
> where LOCALHOSTNUMER is
> 	#define LOCALHOSTNUMBER 0x7f000001 // Internet number for loopback.
>
> thanks
> dave

Michael A. Raymond              Office: (651) 683-3434
Core OS Scheduling Group        Real-Time Lead

Ken Tanzer | 4 Nov 23:25 2003

Re: connect to FAM from remote machine?

You're supposed to be able to monitor NFS mounted files, either by your FAM server contacting a remote FAM server, or by polling the files.  Unfortunately, we weren't able to get either of those options to work properly.   ("FAM not notifying of non-local changes on NFS file", http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/mail_archive/200304/msg00007.html).

If you do get anything like this running, I'd love to know about it, because it would be helpful for us!  Thanks.

Michael Raymond wrote:
I'm not that familiar with the code, but I know that the documentation does talk about the fam daemon contacting fam daemons on other machines to monitor NFS mounted files. Therefor fam daemons can talk to each other but I doubt that clients can do it. I think one way that the daemon does security is that it only talks to connections coming from secure port(s). Michael On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:48:30AM -0800, Viner, David wrote:
Hi, I know that the fam library uses rpc messages to connect to the fam daemon. Is it possible to connect to a fam daemon on a remote machine (i.e., a machine that is not localhost)? >From looking at the code, it appears to me that this is not possible, since FAMOpen2 constructs the client like this: fc->client = new Client(LOCALHOSTNUMBER, famnumber, famversion); where LOCALHOSTNUMER is #define LOCALHOSTNUMBER 0x7f000001 // Internet number for loopback. thanks dave

-- Kenneth Tanzer Information Services Manager Downtown Emergency Service Center (206) 464-1570, ext. 3061 ktanzer <at> desc.org www.desc.org

Gmane