Alex | 20 Feb 19:34 2011
Picon

Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Hi,
I'm trying to compile aufs2-utils from git after downloading the
version for 2.6.37, and having some problems:

[root <at> fc14 aufs2-util.git]# make
cc -I./libau -O -Wall    ver.c   -o ver
In file included from ver.c:19:0:
/usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h:161:27: error: expected ‘:’, ‘,’, ‘;’,
‘}’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
make: *** [ver] Error 1

Is there a specific kernel version I should be using? I followed the
directions to download the version for 2.6.37, and have successfully
patched and built the kernel.

Thanks,
Alex

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb

sfjro | 20 Feb 19:36 2011

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Alex:
> I'm trying to compile aufs2-utils from git after downloading the
> version for 2.6.37, and having some problems:
	:::
> /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h:161:27: error: expected =91:=92, =91,=92, =
> =91;=92,
> =91}=92 or =91__attribute__=92 before =91*=92 token
> make: *** [ver] Error 1

What is the line 161 in your /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h?

And Just to make sure, you are using the aufs2.1 branch in
aufs2-utils.git. Right?

J. R. Okajima

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb

Alex | 20 Feb 21:16 2011
Picon

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Hi,

>> I'm trying to compile aufs2-utils from git after downloading the
>> version for 2.6.37, and having some problems:
>        :::
>> /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h:161:27: error: expected =91:=92, =91,=92, =
>> =91;=92,
>> =91}=92 or =91__attribute__=92 before =91*=92 token
>> make: *** [ver] Error 1
>
> What is the line 161 in your /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h?

   160  union au_rdu_ent_ul {
   161          struct au_rdu_ent __user        *e;
   162          __u64                           ul;
   163  };

> And Just to make sure, you are using the aufs2.1 branch in
> aufs2-utils.git. Right?

Yes, I used the following to check out:

git clone http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/pub/scm/aufs/aufs2-util.git aufs2-util.git

Thanks,
Alex

sfjro | 21 Feb 04:18 2011

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Alex:
> > What is the line 161 in your /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h?
>
>    160  union au_rdu_ent_ul {
>    161          struct au_rdu_ent __user        *e;
>    162          __u64                           ul;
>    163  };

It means you didn't install aufs correctly.
Did you copy /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h manually?
Anyway read the aufs README file (or http://aufs.sf.net) again and
compare it with the steps you did.

> > And Just to make sure, you are using the aufs2.1 branch in
> > aufs2-utils.git. Right?
>
> Yes, I used the following to check out:
>
> git clone http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/pub/scm/aufs/aufs2-util.git aufs2-util.gi=

And how about the branch? Did you checkout aufs2.1 branch in
aufs2-util.git?

J. R. Okajima

Alex | 21 Feb 16:37 2011
Picon

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Hi,

>> > What is the line 161 in your /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h?
>>
>>    160  union au_rdu_ent_ul {
>>    161          struct au_rdu_ent __user        *e;
>>    162          __u64                           ul;
>>    163  };
>
> It means you didn't install aufs correctly.
> Did you copy /usr/include/linux/aufs_type.h manually?
> Anyway read the aufs README file (or http://aufs.sf.net) again and
> compare it with the steps you did.

Yes, I did read those directions, and just read them again, and I
guess I still don't understand.

Is "make headers_install" supposed to copy the header from the kernel
source tree to /usr/include/linux? It does not.

I tried copying it manually, but that also does not work.

>> > And Just to make sure, you are using the aufs2.1 branch in
>> > aufs2-utils.git. Right?
>>
>> Yes, I used the following to check out:
>>
>> git clone http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/pub/scm/aufs/aufs2-util.git aufs2-util.gi=

sfjro | 21 Feb 16:40 2011

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Hi,

Alex:
> Yes, I did read those directions, and just read them again, and I
> guess I still don't understand.
>
> Is "make headers_install" supposed to copy the header from the kernel
> source tree to /usr/include/linux? It does not.
>
> I tried copying it manually, but that also does not work.

No, don't copy the header files manually.
"make headers_install" modifies the header files for userspace and copy
them where you specify.

> Yes, I also ran the following:
>
> [root <at> fc14 aufs2-util.git]# git checkout origin/aufs2.1
> HEAD is now at 0361adb... Merge branch 'master' into aufs2.1

OK.

J. R. Okajima

Alex | 21 Feb 17:18 2011
Picon

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Hi,

>> I tried copying it manually, but that also does not work.
>
> No, don't copy the header files manually.
> "make headers_install" modifies the header files for userspace and copy
> them where you specify.

If I don't copy it manually, it doesn't get copied to
/usr/include/linux as a result of "make headers_install".

I copied the header to the kernel tree before running "make
install_headers". Where do I specify where I want them to be copied?
Aren't they just automatically copied to /usr/include/linux?

Thanks,
Alex

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb

sfjro | 21 Feb 17:23 2011

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Alex:
> If I don't copy it manually, it doesn't get copied to
> /usr/include/linux as a result of "make headers_install".
>
> I copied the header to the kernel tree before running "make
> install_headers". Where do I specify where I want them to be copied?
> Aren't they just automatically copied to /usr/include/linux?

Try "make help" in your kernel source tree.
But I'd suggest you to think again abount installing to
/usr/include/linux. __If__ other user/program refer to it, your
installation __may__ disturb them. For such case, people install the
header file to $PWD/usr/include and specify the path when compiling
aufs2-util generally.

J. R. Okajima

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb

Alex | 21 Feb 17:41 2011
Picon

Re: Compile fails with aufs2-utils

Hi,

>> I copied the header to the kernel tree before running "make
>> install_headers". Where do I specify where I want them to be copied?
>> Aren't they just automatically copied to /usr/include/linux?
>
> Try "make help" in your kernel source tree.
> But I'd suggest you to think again abount installing to
> /usr/include/linux. __If__ other user/program refer to it, your
> installation __may__ disturb them. For such case, people install the
> header file to $PWD/usr/include and specify the path when compiling
> aufs2-util generally.

Okay, got it. I didn't realize "make headers_install" puts them in
usr/include in the kernel tree.

Thanks so much.
Alex

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devfeb