Jules Kerssemakers | 26 Apr 16:02 2012
Picon

uru4000 reader not working correctly with libfprint, please advise

Dear libfprint-devvers,

For a forensics practical at our university, we want to obtain fingerprint images, so the students can simulate the process of feature-detection etc. on their own fingerprints.
For this purpose, we've obtained two DigitalPersona U.are.U 4000 sensors.

We tried to use these with fprint_demo, but though they are correctly(?) detected, actual fingerprint detection didn't work.

symptoms:
  1. Start fprint_demo
  2. console prints "** Message: now monitoring fd 10"
    Device is recognised: driver uru4000, imaging device, status: "Device ready for use"
  3. After clicking "Enroll" for any finger, a pop-up window appears asking "scan your finger now", with a nice progress-bar.
  4. The scan-light on the reader comes on,
  5. BUT touching my finger to the reader doesn't provoke any response. Touching for short or long periods of time doesn't change anything.
  6. The Cancel and Quit buttons still respond normally (so main event-loop hasn't crashed, apparently)
  7. upon Cancel-ing, the scan-light goes off again.
  8. upon Quit, console prints "** Message: no longer monitoring fd 10"
(no console messages appear in-between)

I also tried the sample programs from the DigitalPersona linux SDK, and these were able to collect and verify fingerprints from the same reader.
However, the SDK-samples don't spit out the captured ((semi-)raw) image, which is what we want.

Questions:
1) What can we do at our end to get the fprint-demo program to scan fingerprints from our reader?
2) How fares the "image capture" part of fprint_demo (and will it allow save-to-file?)
3) Is there any information I can send you to help you diagnose/fix this problem? (command outputs, traces, etc? when provided with instructions, I can run USB-sniffers and the like)

Kind regards,
Jules Kerssemakers

Details:
  • Reader: DigitalPersona
    "U.are.U 4000 sensor" (non-branded, with DigitalPersona logo on front)
    model# URU-4S-U1
    Part# 50006-001
    Rev. 101
    USBID (lsusb): Bus 004 Device 005: ID 05ba:0007 DigitalPersona, Inc.
  • fprint obtained from ubuntu-fprint PPA: https://launchpad.net/~fingerprint/+archive/fprint
    libfprint0, version "1:0.4.0+git20110418-0ppa1+debug1~lucid1"
  • OS used:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Linux 2.6.32-40-generic #87-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 6 00:56:56 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Bastien Nocera | 26 Apr 16:57 2012
Picon

Re: uru4000 reader not working correctly with libfprint, please advise

Hello Jules,

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 16:02 +0200, Jules Kerssemakers wrote:
> Dear libfprint-devvers,
>
> For a forensics practical at our university, we want to obtain
> fingerprint images, so the students can simulate the process of
> feature-detection etc. on their own fingerprints.
> For this purpose, we've obtained two DigitalPersona U.are.U 4000
> sensors.

Microsoft fingerprint readers, or something else? The former is the only
one for which we have hardware, and tested.

> We tried to use these with fprint_demo, but though they are
> correctly(?) detected, actual fingerprint detection didn't work.

Works here, though without using fprint-demo.

David Jurenka, who made your packages, apparently took over fprint-demo,
as he did their last release.

Try with fprintd-list, fprintd-enroll, etc. and report to him if
fprint-demo doesn't work.

<snip>
> Questions:
> 1) What can we do at our end to get the fprint-demo program to scan
> fingerprints from our reader?
> 2) How fares the "image capture" part of fprint_demo (and will it
> allow save-to-file?)
> 3) Is there any information I can send you to help you diagnose/fix
> this problem? (command outputs, traces, etc? when provided with
> instructions, I can run USB-sniffers and the like)

Cheers

Gmane