Maik Musall | 1 Aug 15:07 2005
Picon

Oracle 10gR2/libaio

Hello,

I'm just trying to install Oracle 10.2.0 on gentoo. The documentation
claims that it requires libaio 0.3.98 (on SuSE SLES 9), while the actual
symbol searched for is LIBAIO_0.4.

gentoo has currently just 0.3.12 available, and that only when enabling
x86 keyword. 0.3.92 is obviously an incomplete ebuild, and I'm also not
sure if that would satisfy the symbol LIBAIO_0.4.

So, has anyone already succeded installing Oracle 10.2? Are there any
workarounds?

Regards
--
Maik Musall <maik <at> musall.de>
GPG public key 0x856861EB (keyserver: wwwkeys.de.pgp.net)

Kerin Millar | 6 Aug 21:59 2005
Picon

Re: Oracle 10gR2/libaio

On 8/1/05, Maik Musall <lists <at> musall.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just trying to install Oracle 10.2.0 on gentoo. The documentation
> claims that it requires libaio 0.3.98 (on SuSE SLES 9), while the actual

Note quite sure where they got "0.3.98" from; apparently no such
version exists! libaio-0.3.92 is the latest upstream version.

> symbol searched for is LIBAIO_0.4.
>
> gentoo has currently just 0.3.12 available, and that only when enabling
> x86 keyword. 0.3.92 is obviously an incomplete ebuild, and I'm also not
> sure if that would satisfy the symbol LIBAIO_0.4.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "incomplete". It should satisfy
the symbol that you refer to (take note of the contents of the
libaio.map file from the source tarball). As very few other packages
make use of this library then installing it should not be a problem -
just unmask and go. Whether Oracle works well on Gentoo is another
matter of course.

> So, has anyone already succeded installing Oracle 10.2? Are there any
> workarounds?

Perhaps this may help:

  http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Oracle_10g

(Continue reading)

Kerin Millar | 6 Aug 22:03 2005
Picon

Re: Oracle 10gR2/libaio

On 8/6/05, Kerin Millar <kerframil <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/05, Maik Musall <lists <at> musall.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm just trying to install Oracle 10.2.0 on gentoo. The documentation
> > claims that it requires libaio 0.3.98 (on SuSE SLES 9), while the actual
>
> Note quite sure where they got "0.3.98" from; apparently no such
> version exists! libaio-0.3.92 is the latest upstream version.

Hmm, I spoke too soon. Indeed, SLES does have a libaio RPM versioned
as such (go figure). If this is indeed necessary then will it not work
simply to extract the "libaio.so.1" from the RPM and place it under
/usr/lib?

Cheers,

--Kerin Millar

Maik Musall | 9 Aug 17:47 2005
Picon

Re: Oracle 10gR2/libaio

Hello Kerin,

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 08:59:57PM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
> > gentoo has currently just 0.3.12 available, and that only when enabling
> > x86 keyword. 0.3.92 is obviously an incomplete ebuild, and I'm also not
> > sure if that would satisfy the symbol LIBAIO_0.4.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "incomplete". It should satisfy

I meant, the ebuild is there, but is not emergable because it's not even
soft-masked (or I missed something about portage).

> > So, has anyone already succeded installing Oracle 10.2? Are there any
> > workarounds?
>
> Perhaps this may help:
>
>   http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Oracle_10g

This is about 10g Release1 which is no problem, I have that running
since a year or so. Was a normal Oracle install without stumbling, in
fact one of the cleanest installs ever.

What I did now is fetch the libaio 0.3.102 source from SuSE 9.3 from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.3/suse/src/libaio-0.3.102-3.src.rpm
and compiled and installed that. Now 10gR2 is installing and running
fine. The spec-file looks like the original author more or less
abandoned maintenance in 2002 and redhat staff did further development
from that on. libaio 0.4 also seems to break compatibility with the 0.3
tree.
(Continue reading)

Kerin Millar | 9 Aug 18:01 2005
Picon

Re: Oracle 10gR2/libaio

On 8/9/05, Maik Musall <lists <at> musall.de> wrote:
> Hello Kerin,
>
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 08:59:57PM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote:
> > > gentoo has currently just 0.3.12 available, and that only when enabling
> > > x86 keyword. 0.3.92 is obviously an incomplete ebuild, and I'm also not
> > > sure if that would satisfy the symbol LIBAIO_0.4.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean by "incomplete". It should satisfy
>
> I meant, the ebuild is there, but is not emergable because it's not even
> soft-masked (or I missed something about portage).

It's keyworded "-*" (which should normally be considered as a distinct
warning against using it). Portage needs to assume the use of that
keyword for this particular package. For instance:

# echo "~dev-libs/libaio-0.3.92 -*" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

Cheers,

--Kerin Millar