Bernard Pidoux | 25 Jul 18:04 2012
Picon

AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello all,

I succeeded the compilation of a dedicated Raspbian 3.1.9+ kernel with
packet radio modules (ax25, 6pack, kiss, Rose, NetRom).
I just followed instructions given in Debian paragraph of
http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation
Compilation took the whole night but it did not hurt as I was sleeping !
I then installed a ROSE node switch FPAC on my RPi.
Then I will move my co located F6BVP BBS into it.
F6BVP node can be reached via FPAC Rose network and it will soon be
available through ssh.
As for now lighttpd is running a web page advertizing RPi at
http://f6bvp.org:8080

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Arno Verhoeven | 25 Jul 18:24 2012

Re: AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

On 25-07-12 18:04, Bernard Pidoux wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I succeeded the compilation of a dedicated Raspbian 3.1.9+ kernel with
Very nice Bernard. This is good inspiration :)  I have two Raspberries
for another project, but now I must re-prioritize and assign one for ham
usage ;-)

73, PE1ICQ
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Alejandro Santos | 25 Jul 18:38 2012
Picon

Re: AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Amazing! Has anyone managed to run soundmodem inside r-Pi?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Arno Verhoeven
<pe1icq <at> sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl> wrote:
> On 25-07-12 18:04, Bernard Pidoux wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I succeeded the compilation of a dedicated Raspbian 3.1.9+ kernel with
>
> Very nice Bernard. This is good inspiration :)  I have two Raspberries  for
> another project, but now I must re-prioritize and assign one for ham usage
> ;-)
>
> 73, PE1ICQ

> the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Alejandro Santos
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

f6bvp | 26 Jul 11:41 2012
Picon

Re: AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi Alejandro,

I am sure someone will manage to use soudmodem with this tiny credit
card sized computer.

Meanwhile, I opened ssh port in order to give someone a chance to look
at FPAC ROSE network and all its capabilities.

ssh fpacuser <at> f6bvp.org -p 32122
pass : fpac

73 de Bernard, f6bvp
http:f6bvp.org:8080

On 25/07/2012 18:38, Alejandro Santos wrote:
> Amazing! Has anyone managed to run soundmodem inside r-Pi?
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Arno Verhoeven
> <pe1icq <at> sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl> wrote:
>> On 25-07-12 18:04, Bernard Pidoux wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I succeeded the compilation of a dedicated Raspbian 3.1.9+ kernel with
>>
>> Very nice Bernard. This is good inspiration :)  I have two Raspberries  for
>> another project, but now I must re-prioritize and assign one for ham usage
>> ;-)
>>
>> 73, PE1ICQ
(Continue reading)

f6bvp | 4 Aug 14:21 2012
Picon

Re: AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello all,

This is my first debian package !

http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb

This is the raspbian kernel image including AX.25 modules (ax25, 6pack,
netrom, rose, mkiss,...)

 From your RaspBerry Pi you can download it with wget

wget
http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb

To install it :
sudo dpkg -i
linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb

Edit /boot/config.txt and add a line at the end with
# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
kernel vmlinuz-3.1.9.080312.ax25+

reboot

Then download K4GBB install ax25 script for installing ax25 libraries,
tools and apps.

sudo wget http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/Instax25.new
sudo chmod +x Instax25.new
./Instax25.new
(Continue reading)

f6bvp | 4 Aug 16:06 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

One suggestion before executing ./Instax25.new script
I noticed that /tmp partition was too small and could be full aborting
some installation process.
I suggest to unmount this partition :

sudo umount -l /tmp

A /tmp file will remain however and will do it.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

On 04/08/2012 14:21, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first debian package !
>
> http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb
>

> This is the raspbian kernel image including AX.25 modules (ax25, 6pack,
> netrom, rose, mkiss,...)
>
>  From your RaspBerry Pi you can download it with wget
>
> wget
> http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb
>

> To install it :
> sudo dpkg -i
(Continue reading)

Paul Lewis | 4 Sep 22:27 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello All

Thanks Bernard and Charles.

Is there a NODE package for the "Pi" as I have used node(3.3) for a
decade now. On my main system.
73 de Paul g4apl

In message <501D2C69.80304 <at> free.fr>, f6bvp <f6bvp <at> free.fr> writes
>One suggestion before executing ./Instax25.new script
>I noticed that /tmp partition was too small and could be full aborting
>some installation process.
>I suggest to unmount this partition :
>
>sudo umount -l /tmp
>
>A /tmp file will remain however and will do it.
>
>73 de Bernard, f6bvp
>

>On 04/08/2012 14:21, f6bvp wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> This is my first debian package !
>>

>>http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.
>>9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb

(Continue reading)

C Schuman | 4 Sep 22:40 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Paul,
  I am using the FPAC node. It is based on the ROSE protocol,
but works well with NetRom and Flex Net. We have approx 40 ROSE nodes
linked together via AxUDP.

<<Charley>>
   k4gbb

Paul Lewis wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Thanks Bernard and Charles.
>
> Is there a NODE package for the "Pi" as I have used node(3.3) for a
> decade now. On my main system.
> 73 de Paul g4apl
>
> In message <501D2C69.80304 <at> free.fr>, f6bvp <f6bvp <at> free.fr> writes
>> One suggestion before executing ./Instax25.new script
>> I noticed that /tmp partition was too small and could be full aborting
>> some installation process.
>> I suggest to unmount this partition :
>>
>> sudo umount -l /tmp
>>
>> A /tmp file will remain however and will do it.
>>
>> 73 de Bernard, f6bvp

(Continue reading)

Paul Lewis | 4 Sep 22:46 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Ok Charles

I think I would be the only node in the UK using Frac on this test
system :(
Another learning curve and challenge..
73 Paul g4apl

In message <50466721.6000209 <at> embarqmail.com>, C Schuman
<k4gbb1 <at> embarqmail.com> writes
>Paul,
>  I am using the FPAC node. It is based on the ROSE protocol,
>but works well with NetRom and Flex Net. We have approx 40 ROSE nodes
>linked together via AxUDP.
>
><<Charley>>
>   k4gbb
>
>Paul Lewis wrote:
>> Hello All
>>
>> Thanks Bernard and Charles.
>>
>> Is there a NODE package for the "Pi" as I have used node(3.3) for a
>> decade now. On my main system.
>> 73 de Paul g4apl
>>
>> In message <501D2C69.80304 <at> free.fr>, f6bvp <f6bvp <at> free.fr> writes
>>> One suggestion before executing ./Instax25.new script
>>> I noticed that /tmp partition was too small and could be full aborting
>>> some installation process.
(Continue reading)

Bernard Pidoux | 4 Sep 23:02 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello Paul,

A deb package for Raspberry Pi should be available in a reasonable delay
(...)
Meanwhile, Charley k4gbb has come with a very convenient online html
document to start AX.25 installation on your RPi.

http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 04/09/2012 22:46, Paul Lewis a écrit :
> Ok Charles
>
> I think I would be the only node in the UK using Frac on this test
> system :(
> Another learning curve and challenge..
> 73 Paul g4apl
>
> In message <50466721.6000209 <at> embarqmail.com>, C Schuman
> <k4gbb1 <at> embarqmail.com> writes
>> Paul,
>>  I am using the FPAC node. It is based on the ROSE protocol,
>> but works well with NetRom and Flex Net. We have approx 40 ROSE nodes
>> linked together via AxUDP.
>>
>> <<Charley>>
>>   k4gbb
>>
>> Paul Lewis wrote:
(Continue reading)

Paul Lewis | 5 Sep 01:28 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello Bernard

yes this afternoon, set-ip the pit, updated the distribution and used
Charles scripts (.new) off your site. I can report all went smoothly.
Reminds me of the early days of unix..

Now just need to compare my live system with the Pi. Just propose to
drive one TNC/wireless and axudp to my main system for testing.
Paul

In message <50466C4B.2010308 <at> upmc.fr>, Bernard Pidoux
<bernard.pidoux <at> upmc.fr> writes
>Hello Paul,
>
>A deb package for Raspberry Pi should be available in a reasonable
>delay (...)
>Meanwhile, Charley k4gbb has come with a very convenient online html
>document to start AX.25 installation on your RPi.
>
>http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html
>
>73 de Bernard, f6bvp
>

>Le 04/09/2012 22:46, Paul Lewis a écrit :
>> Ok Charles
>>
>> I think I would be the only node in the UK using Frac on this test
>> system :(
>> Another learning curve and challenge..
(Continue reading)

F3KT | 5 Sep 11:12 2012
Picon

RE: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

 Hello,

Fine job everybody did.
I'll try it in a few .... months.
But this morning Charles's link :
http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html
Seems not working. May be address has been changed ?

  Best 73  Michel F3KT

Arno Verhoeven; Lee Woldanski; F3KT; linux-hams
Objet : Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello Paul,

A deb package for Raspberry Pi should be available in a reasonable delay
(...)
Meanwhile, Charley k4gbb has come with a very convenient online html
document to start AX.25 installation on your RPi.

http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

(Continue reading)

C Schuman | 5 Sep 13:07 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

I was being held incommunicado by my phone provider!
All I could get from my voice service was a busy tone.
My voice and DSL were out for several hours while the repaired the
central office equipment.

<<Charley>>

F3KT wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> Fine job everybody did.
> I'll try it in a few .... months.
> But this morning Charles's link :
> http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html
> Seems not working. May be address has been changed ?
>

>   Best 73  Michel F3KT

Bernard f6bvp | 6 Sep 21:03 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello all,

K4GBB's Raspberry site is back on line with more details and updated
information.
Thank you Charley for providing such help !

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 05/09/2012 11:12, F3KT a écrit :
>   Hello,
>
> Fine job everybody did.
> I'll try it in a few .... months.
> But this morning Charles's link :
> http://k4gbb.no-ip.info/docs/Raspberry.html
> Seems not working. May be address has been changed ?
>

>    Best 73  Michel F3KT

(Continue reading)

Jeremy Utley | 7 Sep 18:32 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Bernard f6bvp <f6bvp <at> free.fr> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> K4GBB's Raspberry site is back on line with more details and updated
> information.
> Thank you Charley for providing such help !
>
> 73 de Bernard, f6bvp

As a point of information, I documented my RPi setup of an APRS digi
using the Linux AX.25 stack and APRX on my blog at the following URL:

http://www.ke0md.com/2012/09/03/aprs-i-gatedigi-with-my-new-raspberry-pi/

It's a very simplistic write-up, but it should work great!

Jeremy, KE0MD
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

C Schuman | 5 Sep 13:18 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

That is the beauty of FPAC..
It fits into any local network and interfaces Globally.
I link with BPQ nodes and support several other service with one Server.

If you can get a hold of the source code you should be able to compile
it. I've done this with the Sheeva Plug and the RPi.

<<Charley>>
   k4gbb

Paul Lewis wrote:
> Ok Charles
>
> I think I would be the only node in the UK using Frac on this test
> system :(
> Another learning curve and challenge..
> 73 Paul g4apl
>
> In message <50466721.6000209 <at> embarqmail.com>, C Schuman
> <k4gbb1 <at> embarqmail.com> writes
>> Paul,
>>  I am using the FPAC node. It is based on the ROSE protocol,
>> but works well with NetRom and Flex Net. We have approx 40 ROSE nodes
>> linked together via AxUDP.
>>
>> <<Charley>>
>>   k4gbb
>>
>> Paul Lewis wrote:
>>> Hello All
(Continue reading)

Paul Lewis | 5 Sep 13:39 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello Charles and the others

your feedback is noticed.

Yes I do have the source code that I could ftp across and compile.

Also your RMS gate on a Raspberry Pi has come up now..

Thanks for the support and feedback
Paul g4apl

In message <504734FD.4030009 <at> embarqmail.com>, C Schuman
<k4gbb1 <at> embarqmail.com> writes
>That is the beauty of FPAC..
>It fits into any local network and interfaces Globally.
>I link with BPQ nodes and support several other service with one Server.
>
>If you can get a hold of the source code you should be able to compile
>it. I've done this with the Sheeva Plug and the RPi.
>
><<Charley>>
>   k4gbb
>
>Paul Lewis wrote:
>> Ok Charles
>>
>> I think I would be the only node in the UK using Frac on this test
>> system :(
>> Another learning curve and challenge..
>> 73 Paul g4apl
(Continue reading)

Paul Lewis | 14 Sep 10:11 2012

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi Gays and Gals

Thought I would give and update
Have now got the system running as a linuxnode.
Have not switch on the radio yet connected to a usb serial port
AX25IPD Ax25 and netrom connections work.
Telnet to the linuxnode from on the local machine

net44 IP over AX25UDP does not work.
I have never got this working on my partners when they upgraded to the
2.6 kernels and the associated ax25ipd during the last decade.
So this problem has caught up with me again..

Works fine on my 2.2.26 kernel the version of ax25ipd that I am using
ax25-apps-0.0.6.2src_f6bvp.tar (installed 4.6.2007)

Will provide feedback in a new thread.

Encounter one gotcha though, that got me going for a couple of days. Was
the netrom interfaces were always in use and the nrrattach fails, no
spare netrom device.
Also the ttyUSB0 interface was 'grab by the system'

Confirmed netrom, ax25, mkiss modules loaded
the required alias defined the /etc/modprobe.d
conf files.

See these referenced during the system boot and message log file.

Traced (ps -ef) to the /etc/default/ifplugd hotplug deamon that auto
(Continue reading)

Bernard, f6bvp | 2 Oct 14:32 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello All,

In case someone did not notice, Raspbian distros include AX.25 modules
since July 2012 version. There were since new updates in august and
september 18.
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Thus, it is not necessary to download anymore my own Raspbian compile
package.

Don't forget to perform "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" from time
to time in order to download package updates for your RPi.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 14/09/2012 10:11, Paul Lewis a écrit :
> Hi Gays
>
> Thought I would give and update
> Have now got the system running as a linuxnode.
> Have not switch on the radio yet connected to a usb serial port
> AX25IPD Ax25 and netrom connections work.
> Telnet to the linuxnode from on the local machine
>
> net44 IP over AX25UDP does not work.
> I have never got this working on my partners when they upgraded to the
> 2.6 kernels and the associated ax25ipd during the last decade.
> So this problem has caught up with me again..
>
> Works fine on my 2.2.26 kernel the version of ax25ipd that I am using
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 4 Aug 23:59 2012
Picon

Re: AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi Bernard, All,

This is great news because I almost wrote to you yesterday to ask if you
had made a .deb package for your kernel.

My two Raspberry Pi's arrived on Friday (I was told 5 weeks and they
arrived in 5 days from Element 14!) and I'm gathering the hardware I
need to get one of them up and running with kernel ax25. One will serve
as my aprs gateway machine and maybe a fpac node again.

Ray vk2tv

On 04/08/12 22:21, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first debian package !

http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb

> This is the raspbian kernel image including AX.25 modules (ax25,
> 6pack, netrom, rose, mkiss,...)
>
> From your RaspBerry Pi you can download it with wget
>
> wget
> http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb
>
> To install it :
(Continue reading)

remi.chateauneu | 7 Aug 00:59 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Did you try to run soundmodem on Raspberry, please ?

<pe1icq <at> sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl>, "C Schuman" <k4gbb1 <at> embarqmail.com>, "Lee Woldanski"
<ve7fet <at> tparc.org>, "F3KT" <f3kt <at> free.fr>, "Alejandro Santos" <alejolp <at> alejolp.com.ar>,
"linux-hams" <linux-hams <at> vger.kernel.org>, "Bernard Pidoux" <bernard.pidoux <at> upmc.fr>
Envoyé: Samedi 4 Août 2012 23:59:49

On 04/08/12 22:21, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first debian package !

(Continue reading)

f6bvp | 7 Aug 10:03 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello Remy,

I never used soundmodem for I have been a happy user of two 9612+ dual
channel TNCs for years.

However, with RPi there are no serial port and I guess I will have to
use either an USB to serial adapter or soundmodem.

Meanwhile installing soundmodem performed well.

root <at> raspberrypi:/home/pi# apt-get install soundmodem
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2
Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2 soundmodem
0 mis à jour, 3 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 2 non mis à jour.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 718 ko dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 3 131 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront
utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer [O/n] ? O
Réception de : 1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
wheezy/main libaudiofile1 armhf 0.3.4-1 [86,9 kB]
Réception de : 2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
wheezy/main libhamlib2 armhf 1.2.15.1-1 [467 kB]
Réception de : 3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
wheezy/main soundmodem armhf 0.16-1 [164 kB]
718 ko réceptionnés en 3s (214 ko/s)
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 7 Aug 10:16 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Bernard, Remy, All,

Now that I have Bernard's kernel loaded on my RPi, and I have a Linux
compatible USB soundcard (Behringer UCA202), I will try to get it
working with soundmodem by Saturday or Sunday and report back.

Ray vk2tv

On 07/08/12 18:03, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello Remy,
>
> I never used soundmodem for I have been a happy user of two 9612+ dual
> channel TNCs for years.
>
> However, with RPi there are no serial port and I guess I will have to
> use either an USB to serial adapter or soundmodem.
>
> Meanwhile installing soundmodem performed well.
>
> root <at> raspberrypi:/home/pi# apt-get install soundmodem
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
>   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2
> Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
>   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2 soundmodem
> 0 mis à jour, 3 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 2 non mis à jour.
> Il est nécessaire de prendre 718 ko dans les archives.
> Après cette opération, 3 131 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront
(Continue reading)

remi.chateauneu | 8 Aug 14:10 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi All,

Some help about Soundmodem is available here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem

Push-to-talk can be activated with Soundmodem original method but also with the very convenient hamlib
library ( http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Main_Page )

Hamlib is used by fldigi on Raslberry , therefore it is seriously supported.

<xfbb <at> f6fbb.org>, "Arno Verhoeven" <pe1icq <at> sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl>, "Alejandro Santos"
Envoyé: Mardi 7 Août 2012 10:16:31

On 07/08/12 18:03, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello Remy,
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 11 Aug 08:11 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

All,

I'll start by saying that my "shack" is very user unfriendly at the
moment, with nowhere to set up test equipment or radios, however, I have
managed to decode ax25 (aprs) packets using soundmodem on the Raspberry
Pi running Bernard's kernel. Soundmodem is unstable and crashes but that
may be due to the Behringer UCA202 sound card I'm using. Others have
reported difficulties with the UCA202 in RPi with audio applications
and, I haven't yet delved into the sound card configs except to delete a
blacklist entry in /etc/modeprobe.d to get the sound card to accept
incoming audio. My tests have been very raw but have confirmed that
using a USB sound card with soundmodem on the RPi appears feasible. On
tx, I used speaker monitoring of the tx audio as an indication of
success. What I heard "sounded" correct for 1k2 packet.

I will, as time permits, try to make more meaningful tests.

Ray vk2tv

On 08/08/12 22:10, remi.chateauneu <at> free.fr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Some help about Soundmodem is available here:
>
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem
>
> Push-to-talk can be activated with Soundmodem original method but also with the very convenient hamlib
library ( http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Main_Page )

> Hamlib is used by fldigi on Raslberry , therefore it is seriously supported.
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 12 Aug 11:23 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

All,

A little more information based on a bit of unscientific testing today
of RPi with soundmodem.

Yesterday I reported that sm was unstable and locked up randomly. I now
believe that this may have been a power supply issue. The power supply
used (mobile phone) was rated at 700mA, the recommended minimum capacity
for RPi. The 7 port hub that the UCA202 sound card connected to had its
own 2000mA supply.

Today, I tried running the UCA202 directly from the RPi. The UCA202 is
rated at 100mA, the supposed load capability of RPi. I didn't manage to
decode any packets and, upon tx, sm appeared to lock up.

My next step was to put the UCA202 back onto the USB hub and to supply
the RPi from the 2000mA supply. The result is that sm has been decoding
packets for well over an hour (at the time of writing this) and will
happily tx without lock up. It would indeed appear that an adequate
power supply is an essential component for RPi.

I'm controlling RPi remotely using VNC to provide access to the desktop.
tightvncserver is consuming about 25% cpu and soundmodem about 74%. The
result is that cpu load is flat lined at maximum. However, soundmodem
and RPi appear stable. Ultimately I'll run without the desktop but for
now it's essential to ongoing testing.

More to follow, I'm sure.

Ray, vk2tv
(Continue reading)

Gordon JC Pearce | 12 Aug 11:38 2012

On 12/08/12 10:23, Ray Wells wrote:

> I'm controlling RPi remotely using VNC to provide access to the desktop.
> tightvncserver is consuming about 25% cpu and soundmodem about 74%. The
> result is that cpu load is flat lined at maximum. However, soundmodem
> and RPi appear stable. Ultimately I'll run without the desktop but for
> now it's essential to ongoing testing.

What are you using the desktop for?  Soundmodem and all the associated
libraries don't require X...

Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Bernard, f6bvp | 12 Aug 14:12 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for your report about soundmodem testing with RPi.
It is not the first report about critical power supply device.
I read that RPi USB was limited to 100 mA, and it was probably at the
limit for your sound card.
It would be interesting to know how much current RPi was actually
driving with ~100 per cent CPU duty cycle ?

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 12/08/2012 11:23, Ray Wells a écrit :
> All,
>
> A little more information based on a bit of unscientific testing today
> of RPi with soundmodem.
>
> Yesterday I reported that sm was unstable and locked up randomly. I now
> believe that this may have been a power supply issue. The power supply
> used (mobile phone) was rated at 700mA, the recommended minimum capacity
> for RPi. The 7 port hub that the UCA202 sound card connected to had its
> own 2000mA supply.
>
> Today, I tried running the UCA202 directly from the RPi. The UCA202 is
> rated at 100mA, the supposed load capability of RPi. I didn't manage to
> decode any packets and, upon tx, sm appeared to lock up.
>
> My next step was to put the UCA202 back onto the USB hub and to supply
> the RPi from the 2000mA supply. The result is that sm has been decoding
> packets for well over an hour (at the time of writing this) and will
(Continue reading)

Bernard f6bvp | 26 Aug 16:07 2012
Picon

Hamradio modules and Raspbian image for RaspBerry Pi

Hello all,

Good news for amateur radio Raspberry Pi users !

After creating a new system with August 16 raspbian image on my second
RPi system and updating (upgrading) it,
I found that hamradio mkiss, ax25 and rose were already compiled into
the kernel.
This is great for this means that there is no need to build a custom
kernel for hamradio any more. And kernel updates will be much more simple.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Torrent 	2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.zip.torrent
Direct download 	2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.zip

73's de Bernard, f6bvp
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Bernard f6bvp | 26 Aug 16:09 2012
Picon

Hamradio modules and Raspbian image for RaspBerry Pi

Hello all,

Sorry for the typos.
Torrent and download are the following raspbian images :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Torrent 	2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent
Direct download 	2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip

73's de Bernard, f6bvp