Ray Wells | 4 Aug 23:59 2012
Picon

Re: AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi Bernard, All,

This is great news because I almost wrote to you yesterday to ask if you
had made a .deb package for your kernel.

My two Raspberry Pi's arrived on Friday (I was told 5 weeks and they
arrived in 5 days from Element 14!) and I'm gathering the hardware I
need to get one of them up and running with kernel ax25. One will serve
as my aprs gateway machine and maybe a fpac node again.

Ray vk2tv

http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb

> This is the raspbian kernel image including AX.25 modules (ax25,
> 6pack, netrom, rose, mkiss,...)
>
> From your RaspBerry Pi you can download it with wget
>
> wget
> http://f6bvp.free.fr/logiciels/ax25/linux-image-3.1.9.080312.ax25+_3.1.9.080312.ax25+-10.00.Custom_armhf.deb
>
> To install it :
(Continue reading)

remi.chateauneu | 7 Aug 00:59 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Did you try to run soundmodem on Raspberry, please ?

<pe1icq <at> sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl>, "C Schuman" <k4gbb1 <at> embarqmail.com>, "Lee Woldanski"
<ve7fet <at> tparc.org>, "F3KT" <f3kt <at> free.fr>, "Alejandro Santos" <alejolp <at> alejolp.com.ar>,
"linux-hams" <linux-hams <at> vger.kernel.org>, "Bernard Pidoux" <bernard.pidoux <at> upmc.fr>
Envoyé: Samedi 4 Août 2012 23:59:49
Objet: Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

On 04/08/12 22:21, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first debian package !

(Continue reading)

f6bvp | 7 Aug 10:03 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hello Remy,

I never used soundmodem for I have been a happy user of two 9612+ dual
channel TNCs for years.

However, with RPi there are no serial port and I guess I will have to
use either an USB to serial adapter or soundmodem.

Meanwhile installing soundmodem performed well.

root <at> raspberrypi:/home/pi# apt-get install soundmodem
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2
Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2 soundmodem
0 mis à jour, 3 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 2 non mis à jour.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 718 ko dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 3 131 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront
utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer [O/n] ? O
Réception de : 1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
wheezy/main libaudiofile1 armhf 0.3.4-1 [86,9 kB]
Réception de : 2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
wheezy/main libhamlib2 armhf 1.2.15.1-1 [467 kB]
Réception de : 3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/
wheezy/main soundmodem armhf 0.16-1 [164 kB]
718 ko réceptionnés en 3s (214 ko/s)
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 7 Aug 10:16 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Bernard, Remy, All,

Now that I have Bernard's kernel loaded on my RPi, and I have a Linux
compatible USB soundcard (Behringer UCA202), I will try to get it
working with soundmodem by Saturday or Sunday and report back.

Ray vk2tv

On 07/08/12 18:03, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello Remy,
>
> I never used soundmodem for I have been a happy user of two 9612+ dual
> channel TNCs for years.
>
> However, with RPi there are no serial port and I guess I will have to
> use either an USB to serial adapter or soundmodem.
>
> Meanwhile installing soundmodem performed well.
>
> root <at> raspberrypi:/home/pi# apt-get install soundmodem
> Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
> Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
> Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
> Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
>   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2
> Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
>   libaudiofile1 libhamlib2 soundmodem
> 0 mis à jour, 3 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 2 non mis à jour.
> Il est nécessaire de prendre 718 ko dans les archives.
> Après cette opération, 3 131 ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront
(Continue reading)

remi.chateauneu | 8 Aug 14:10 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi All,

Some help about Soundmodem is available here:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem

Push-to-talk can be activated with Soundmodem original method but also with the very convenient hamlib
library ( http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Main_Page )

Hamlib is used by fldigi on Raslberry , therefore it is seriously supported.

<xfbb <at> f6fbb.org>, "Arno Verhoeven" <pe1icq <at> sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl>, "Alejandro Santos"
Envoyé: Mardi 7 Août 2012 10:16:31

On 07/08/12 18:03, f6bvp wrote:
> Hello Remy,
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 11 Aug 08:11 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

All,

I'll start by saying that my "shack" is very user unfriendly at the
moment, with nowhere to set up test equipment or radios, however, I have
managed to decode ax25 (aprs) packets using soundmodem on the Raspberry
Pi running Bernard's kernel. Soundmodem is unstable and crashes but that
may be due to the Behringer UCA202 sound card I'm using. Others have
reported difficulties with the UCA202 in RPi with audio applications
and, I haven't yet delved into the sound card configs except to delete a
blacklist entry in /etc/modeprobe.d to get the sound card to accept
incoming audio. My tests have been very raw but have confirmed that
using a USB sound card with soundmodem on the RPi appears feasible. On
tx, I used speaker monitoring of the tx audio as an indication of
success. What I heard "sounded" correct for 1k2 packet.

I will, as time permits, try to make more meaningful tests.

Ray vk2tv

On 08/08/12 22:10, remi.chateauneu <at> free.fr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Some help about Soundmodem is available here:
>
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem
>
> Push-to-talk can be activated with Soundmodem original method but also with the very convenient hamlib
library ( http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/hamlib/index.php?title=Main_Page )

> Hamlib is used by fldigi on Raslberry , therefore it is seriously supported.
(Continue reading)

Ray Wells | 12 Aug 11:23 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

All,

A little more information based on a bit of unscientific testing today
of RPi with soundmodem.

Yesterday I reported that sm was unstable and locked up randomly. I now
believe that this may have been a power supply issue. The power supply
used (mobile phone) was rated at 700mA, the recommended minimum capacity
for RPi. The 7 port hub that the UCA202 sound card connected to had its
own 2000mA supply.

Today, I tried running the UCA202 directly from the RPi. The UCA202 is
rated at 100mA, the supposed load capability of RPi. I didn't manage to
decode any packets and, upon tx, sm appeared to lock up.

My next step was to put the UCA202 back onto the USB hub and to supply
the RPi from the 2000mA supply. The result is that sm has been decoding
packets for well over an hour (at the time of writing this) and will
happily tx without lock up. It would indeed appear that an adequate
power supply is an essential component for RPi.

I'm controlling RPi remotely using VNC to provide access to the desktop.
tightvncserver is consuming about 25% cpu and soundmodem about 74%. The
result is that cpu load is flat lined at maximum. However, soundmodem
and RPi appear stable. Ultimately I'll run without the desktop but for
now it's essential to ongoing testing.

More to follow, I'm sure.

Ray, vk2tv
(Continue reading)

Gordon JC Pearce | 12 Aug 11:38 2012

On 12/08/12 10:23, Ray Wells wrote:

> I'm controlling RPi remotely using VNC to provide access to the desktop.
> tightvncserver is consuming about 25% cpu and soundmodem about 74%. The
> result is that cpu load is flat lined at maximum. However, soundmodem
> and RPi appear stable. Ultimately I'll run without the desktop but for
> now it's essential to ongoing testing.

What are you using the desktop for?  Soundmodem and all the associated
libraries don't require X...

Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Bernard, f6bvp | 12 Aug 14:12 2012
Picon

Re: [xfbb] AX.25 Packet Radio on a RaspBerry Pi : a success

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for your report about soundmodem testing with RPi.
It is not the first report about critical power supply device.
I read that RPi USB was limited to 100 mA, and it was probably at the
limit for your sound card.
It would be interesting to know how much current RPi was actually
driving with ~100 per cent CPU duty cycle ?

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Le 12/08/2012 11:23, Ray Wells a écrit :
> All,
>
> A little more information based on a bit of unscientific testing today
> of RPi with soundmodem.
>
> Yesterday I reported that sm was unstable and locked up randomly. I now
> believe that this may have been a power supply issue. The power supply
> used (mobile phone) was rated at 700mA, the recommended minimum capacity
> for RPi. The 7 port hub that the UCA202 sound card connected to had its
> own 2000mA supply.
>
> Today, I tried running the UCA202 directly from the RPi. The UCA202 is
> rated at 100mA, the supposed load capability of RPi. I didn't manage to
> decode any packets and, upon tx, sm appeared to lock up.
>
> My next step was to put the UCA202 back onto the USB hub and to supply
> the RPi from the 2000mA supply. The result is that sm has been decoding
> packets for well over an hour (at the time of writing this) and will
(Continue reading)

Bernard f6bvp | 26 Aug 16:07 2012
Picon

Hamradio modules and Raspbian image for RaspBerry Pi

Hello all,

Good news for amateur radio Raspberry Pi users !

After creating a new system with August 16 raspbian image on my second
RPi system and updating (upgrading) it,
I found that hamradio mkiss, ax25 and rose were already compiled into
the kernel.
This is great for this means that there is no need to build a custom
kernel for hamradio any more. And kernel updates will be much more simple.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Torrent 	2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.zip.torrent
Direct download 	2012-08-08-wheezy-armel.zip

73's de Bernard, f6bvp
the body of a message to majordomo <at> vger.kernel.org

Bernard f6bvp | 26 Aug 16:09 2012
Picon

Hamradio modules and Raspbian image for RaspBerry Pi

Hello all,

Sorry for the typos.
Torrent and download are the following raspbian images :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Torrent 	2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent
Direct download 	2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip

73's de Bernard, f6bvp