Tom Cowin | 14 Aug 20:07 2009

E1410 CPU IERR on 2950 III

Has anyone gotten this error on a 2950? My server continues to crash
hard, with this error on the front - on both CPUs. The best I can get
from tech support is that this is probably a software configuration
issue - given that CentOS and VMWare is not a "supported"
configuration - although it has been running fine for 18 months.

Any help or relevant thoughts appreciated.

--
Tom Cowin
Blackfin Software, LLC

mobile:    (425)985-3150
fax:           (425)460-7000
snailmail: 12001 NE 61st St. Kirkland WA 98033

Larsen, Peter | 15 Aug 00:23 2009

RE: E1410 CPU IERR on 2950 III

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2619

That may give you a few answers?

--
   Peter H. Larsen
   Technical Architect

Has anyone gotten this error on a 2950? My server continues to crash
hard, with this error on the front - on both CPUs. The best I can get
from tech support is that this is probably a software configuration
issue - given that CentOS and VMWare is not a "supported"
configuration - although it has been running fine for 18 months.

Any help or relevant thoughts appreciated.

--
Tom Cowin
Blackfin Software, LLC

mobile:    (425)985-3150
fax:           (425)460-7000
snailmail: 12001 NE 61st St. Kirkland WA 98033
(Continue reading)

Bond Masuda | 15 Aug 00:32 2009

RE: E1410 CPU IERR on 2950 III

We had similar problem on a PE2900-III, although not completely identical.
We found out, through trial and error, that the problem was the onboard SATA
controller. I don't know if it is the hardware or the drivers for the
onboard SATA in RHEL/CentOS, but the onboard SATA controller would lock-up,
then cause a fault on the PCI-E bus, which then caused faults on both CPUs
resulting in instantaneous reboot of the entire server.

We finally disabled the onboard SATA completely in the BIOS (switched to IDE
based optical drive) and the server has been completely stable since. At the
time (this past April), Dell tech support was not aware of this issue and
they said we were the first to report on it.

-B. Masuda