Jerker Nyberg | 1 Mar 11:39 2004

out-of-band management

Hello all,

It is possible to do out-of-band management over ethernet for the current
generation of Dell servers? (regardless of operating system state)

I am interested in remote power-on, power-off, reset and console (serial
over LAN for BIOS/POST and OS startup).

I am not interested in the DRAC management card - I want the functionality
integrated in the motherboard. According to my technical sales contact at
Dell, the current generation of Poweredge servers support IPMI v1.0 (As a
comparison Intel, Tyan and Sun support IPMI v1.5 on theirs). Is anyone
using IPMI for this kind of out-of-band management? (And if so, why are
people still buying DRACs?)

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg
Uppsala, Sweden.

Links of interest:

 * Intelligent Platform Management Interface:
   http://developer.intel.com/design/servers/ipmi/

 * Intel Server Management:
   http://developer.intel.com/design/servers/ism/

 * xCAT Management Processor HOWTO:
   http://xcat.org/docs/managementprocessor-HOWTO.html
(Continue reading)

Herman Sheremetyev | 2 Mar 02:23 2004

Re: out-of-band management

This does not answer your question directly but the recent PowerEdge
servers we have (650, 1750 and 2650) all support console redirection to
the serial port so you can connect to them remotely using a serial
console concentrator and manage them just like Sun boxes with no
monitor/keyboard.  If you have telnet enabled power strips you can also
power-cycle the boxes remotely.  I'm currently working on getting this
all set up at our site so I can't vouch for how well it works long-term
but I've been testing it out for a few weeks now and it seems to be
working pretty well.  The only glitch I ran into so far is inability to
send Delete/Insert keys to the RAID Utility over a serial console, but
that may only be Minicom's fault...
Also, I was actually pleasantly surprised to discover that Redhat EL3
installed very easily using nothing but a serial console and set itself
and grub up for proper serial console usage.

HTH,

-Herman

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 05:39, Jerker Nyberg wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It is possible to do out-of-band management over ethernet for the current
> generation of Dell servers? (regardless of operating system state)
>
> I am interested in remote power-on, power-off, reset and console (serial
> over LAN for BIOS/POST and OS startup).
>
> I am not interested in the DRAC management card - I want the functionality
> integrated in the motherboard. According to my technical sales contact at
(Continue reading)

Matt_Domsch | 2 Mar 14:03 2004
Picon

RE: out-of-band management

,linux-poweredge-admin <at> dell.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It is possible to do out-of-band management over ethernet for the
> current generation of Dell servers? (regardless of operating system
state)

Yes.

> I am not interested in the DRAC management card - I want the
> functionality integrated in the motherboard.

It is on some, not all, servers.  DRAC3 is available if it's not
integrated.  PowerEdge 1650 and 1750 have it integrated, it's called ERA
- Embedded Remote Access, or with the /O moniker, "optional".  Please
see dell.com/openmanage.

> According to my technical sales
> contact at Dell, the current generation of Poweredge servers support
IPMI v1.0
> (As a comparison Intel, Tyan and Sun support IPMI v1.5 on theirs).

IPMI 1.5 will be in future product offerings.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Domsch
Sr. Software Engineer, Lead Engineer
(Continue reading)

Philip J. Hollenback | 2 Mar 16:29 2004

Re: out-of-band management

One more bit of info: I did some experimenting with the freeware
OpenIPMI package.  OpenIPMI really supports IPMI version 1.5.  I found
that some IPMI functionality worked on my 1750, for example I could
turn the system on or off or retrieve the asset tag number.  However,
I could not retrieve the temperature senors (which was the whole
reason I wanted to use IPMI).  That was due to differences between
IPMI 1.0 and 1.5.

P.

On 03/02/04, Matt_Domsch <at> dell.com wrote:
> ,linux-poweredge-admin <at> dell.com wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > It is possible to do out-of-band management over ethernet for the
> > current generation of Dell servers? (regardless of operating system
> state)
>
> Yes.
>
> > I am not interested in the DRAC management card - I want the
> > functionality integrated in the motherboard.
>
> It is on some, not all, servers.  DRAC3 is available if it's not
> integrated.  PowerEdge 1650 and 1750 have it integrated, it's called ERA
> - Embedded Remote Access, or with the /O moniker, "optional".  Please
> see dell.com/openmanage.
>
> > According to my technical sales
> > contact at Dell, the current generation of Poweredge servers support
(Continue reading)

Jerker Nyberg | 2 Mar 17:15 2004

RE: out-of-band management

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 Matt_Domsch <at> dell.com wrote:

> > I am not interested in the DRAC management card - I want the
> > functionality integrated in the motherboard.
>
> It is on some, not all, servers.  DRAC3 is available if it's not
> integrated.  PowerEdge 1650 and 1750 have it integrated, it's called ERA
> - Embedded Remote Access, or with the /O moniker, "optional".  Please
> see dell.com/openmanage.

Thank you for your reply.

Are there any client software availible for Linux that could remote
out-of-band manage the Dell Poweredge servers? (I cannot find any
information on dell.com/openmanage that explicitly say so but it doesn't
say that it isn't possible either.) Are there any open source software
that can do it? (I'm not interested in in-band management.)

Does Dell plan to support the FreeIPMI project, for the current generation
of Poweredge-servers running IPMI v1.0? http://www.nongnu.org/freeipmi/

I have an example. Imagine two machines, one poweredge server and one
workstation. They are connected with ethernet.

    Internet

       | (ethernet)
       | 192.168.0.1
 | DellPE750   |    (ethernet)        | Workstation |